Aquarium turtle advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkdubs2 said:
Well thanks nomad sorry took so long on the reply but ya I'll prolly do the plant bulb with the UVB bulb as well. Are razorbacks any better with plants or is it just a turtle thing to rip out plants lol. And I was curious as to what kind of fish could be kept with them that they won't eat bc the fish would be to big for them to consider. I was thinking gouramis but I don't wanna risk the turtle eating them. Any suggestions?

I haven't had a turtle with plants, but I think that as long as they grew up with them it'll probably be good. I have had an opaline gourami in with my yellow belly. I also have had goldfish. No problems so far, it's been over a year I think... I got rid of the gourami because my friend had a better tank, but she was good in there. I'd try some of the larger fish, like the gourami, barbs, larger tetras and such. Make sure that you add the fish BEFORE the turtle. My turtle did eat a CAE when I put on in my tank... Not good...

jkdubs2 said:
Well thanks nomad sorry took so long on the reply but ya I'll prolly do the plant bulb with the UVB bulb as well. Are razorbacks any better with plants or is it just a turtle thing to rip out plants lol. And I was curious as to what kind of fish could be kept with them that they won't eat bc the fish would be to big for them to consider. I was thinking gouramis but I don't wanna risk the turtle eating them. Any suggestions?

I think it's more of an individual turtle thing, as he doesn't do it to every plant. He has left my java fern alone so far.

Fish wise, I should say first of all, turtles and fish are normally a no-no, however; if your turtle is brought up, meaning has lived with fish from a hatchling into adult hood, with the fish, they are LESS LIKELY to attack the fish.
As most people will tell you, if you keep fish in with a turtle be aware you may find them missing one morning. If your fine with this, then you can do it, although its frowned upon. The main thing to consider is that if a fish becomes un-reasonably stressed or starts to die then that fish will be a prime target for the turtle.
Also to consider is filtration, a turtle is very, very messy, I cannot stress this enough. If you have an idea on what I mean, times it by 10! They are mess machines. They leave poo, food and other things that are un-identifiable all over the tank. The build up of crap within a week is almost un-believable. So a really decent filter is required however just to confuse you, musk turtles are rubbish swimmers, so they need lots of ways to get to the surface and a low water level, 6" as a hatchling and 12" as an adult roughly.
Bearing this in mind your filter will need to work properly with low water levels and also be strong to pick up mess, with a SLOW current, as their swimming is, as said, rubbish, so strong currents will knock them around the tank. A decent internal filter is probably the best bet, one designed to turn over the entire volume of the tank 11-12 times and hour.
Add to this the mess of fish too, you will need a really decent filter.

I have thought about all of this, and have a filter designed for 6x the size of my tank, and have the spray bar pushing water out of the surface to create some ripples but nothing too strong. I have one dwarf gourami in with him, and she is there purely because she is so hardy she bullies anything else she is in with, and so the turtle makes a perfect mate as she takes no crap from him. I would say they make the perfect couple, although it maybe the individual fish.

I personally think if your prepared to loose some then any fish would be good, aslong as the tank size is appropriate for it. Any fish that is described as hardy are your best bet, fish people use for fish in cycling and such would be the best place to start, as turtle poo will build up the ammonia and nitrite quickly. Another piece of advice would be to use fish bigger than the turtle as the turtle will be intimidated.

Hope this helps; conclusion is that any fish if your prepared to loose them MAYBE eventually.

Ya that's what I heard was sometimes if the turtle is raised with the fish then it's ok sometimes. I also plan on feeding the turtle in a different tank to help reduce mess and maybe train the turtle only to eat in the other tank. I was thinking of maybe getting a teacher that I know to sponsor me so I could get a baby turtle. If I can't get the turtle from a small age then I may not get the fish with it.
As far as plants I get I'm hoping they can help with the waste a bit but I have just got a cf-300 aquatop canister filter in the mail that will do 264gph I think, so imma add a power HOB filter that does about that much filtration to have a bit over 9 times total filtration per hour. As far as the water level imma have a turtle topper so I can fill it all the way up. And I knew stinkpots were horrible swimmers with their stubby legs that's why I want it to help reduce risk of them catching a fish. And also a side note for the water level being so high don't worry cuz I plan on have rock caves built up so there will be stair like access to the turtle topper ramp from the ground up so the turtle doesn't stress out to get to the top. It's gonna be a long build till I get everything I need tho. Which stinks cuz I have no patience lol. But for the UVB lighting to be effective does it need to shine on the turtle while he's out of the water or will it be ok shining on him through the water? And I appreciate all of your guys patience with me and all my question so thank you.

The setup sounds very interesting, make sure to record your whole build and post lots of pictures! :)

On the UVB, you will find that musks don't come out of the water very much, if at all, so the UVB will be shining on him through the water most of the time. The important thing is that there is no glass or plastic cover on the lighting fixture, as both stop the UVB from reaching him. So as long as the light is freely shining on the water surface your fine, with nothing in between the water or bulb in the way of a glass top or light cover.

Yeah I def will keep ya posted thanks for all the replies. I'll get pics up as soon as I get all my non living pieces in and post pics through out the build. Do you have any pics of ur turtle up?

jkdubs2 said:
Yeah I def will keep ya posted thanks for all the replies. I'll get pics up as soon as I get all my non living pieces in and post pics through out the build. Do you have any pics of ur turtle up?

Yeah I have pictures on my profile, dec the turtle, he's in my small tank ATM but next year will be upgraded to a palace.

So I just finished building and designing my own turtle above tank basking area. Looks pretty good. Used aquarium safe adhesives. And nails. It's made out of black plastic kinda like plexiglass. Still need to put a basking rock in it but other than that it's the first part of the new tank to be complete. Pics to follow

These are the photos. I built it to allow a light strip to sit underneath the basking area so the whole side of the tank won't be dark and also made it to where my canister filter output hose can actually be sent through the "turtle townhouse" bottom plate and be in the correct position for the filtration to get through the whole tank. (where the small hole is in the last pic). Lemme know what u think and any problems u see.

Attachments

• image-1506127697.jpg
    image-1506127697.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3298186833.jpg
    image-3298186833.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2740915006.jpg
    image-2740915006.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 108
  • image-80220837.jpg
    image-80220837.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2475487955.jpg
    image-2475487955.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3443207814.jpg
    image-3443207814.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 111
Btw there will be a hood on the opposite side of the tank so no worries there.

Looks good, it will give them a nice place safe to sun bathe, and give you a good view when they do. The grass look is very artistic too. (y)

Thanks I thought it would be good for the turtle to grab with his claws and pull up the ramp

So wats the word on turtles with a fidler crab or a crayfish? Is that ok since they will be big enough? And if I do get a fidler I was planning on getting a Atlantis underwater island cuz I know they need to have acces to the surface. Also I'm trying to find the right temp range for my turtles basking area. Wats a good temp range? Thanks.

The basking area can be any where in the range of 26-29c. It's beneficial but not vital if your basking area has a range, for example the larger the basking area the cooler the edges will be away from the light, so in effect the turtle can choose a basking temp, getting hotter the closer the the bulb. If your going with a floating island then put the bulb at manufacturers spec away from the area, that will be displayed on the bulb packet, if you use a reptile basking bulb. 7-10" is a good distance if using a regular light bulb and reflector, but monitor as its always unique.

On the crayfish/crab issue all I am going to say is that most crabs are brackish, which turts are not. Also any turtle even a musk has powerful jaws used for snails and other such insects for food, so I doubt even a crab if caught unaware would stand much of a chance. They really are loner creatures. It's worth a try if thats what you want to do but the same as fish don't be too upset if they do disappear.

The problem I see is when they molt, all the crustaceans we keep shed their shell and are vulnerable for at least a short time, if not eaten they maybe stressed to death when they can't molt through fear of being eaten. Sorry to put a downer on it turtles are really great to keep. I will say they are all individuals much more than fish so what applies to one may not always apply directly to another. My musk has never eaten either the fish he is with not did he eat the snail I had in there for a long time.

Agh you made me have to remember the old formula for converting celsius into Fahrenheit from middle school haha. C(9/5)+32=F. And I'm getting about 110 degrees fahrenheit so I'll need to increase my distance between light and basking area.
As for the crab living in the brackish water I'll prolly just keep it in a different tank then so as to just avoid unnecessary problems. I'm guessing the turtles wouldn't do well in brackish water?

Regarding the crayfish and the molting I'll probably try and keep it with the turtle and see how it goes. There will be plenty of hiding spots that the turtle can't get into. If it does become a problem tho I always have another tank to put the crayfish into. And I'll be getting the fish and everything put in at least a month before the turtle is introduced so hopefully hiding holes and territory will be established.
Thanks again for the help! The next time I'll hopefully have the tank updated and dirted and capped with sand. I'll put some pics up then.

I have a Texas Map Turtle. The male only grows to about 4 inches. I have got him in a 20 gal long. See pic

image-3676589964.jpg

-rotorhead22

rotorhead22 said:
I have a Texas Map Turtle. The male only grows to about 4 inches. I have got him in a 20 gal long. See pic

-rotorhead22

He looks very cool, you have any more pics?

@rotorhead I was actually looking into getting one of those but I'm afraid it will be too good of a swimmer and catch my fish lol. I like him though.

Here are some more pics of my Texas Map when he was Just about 1 inch long (2009). He was very cute...my daughter named him Tuck. His carapace is now about 4 inches (full grown).

-20 gallon long
-gravel substrate
-UG Filter w/ 1 Penguin 550 Powerhead and 1 Top Fin 30 Powerhead
-1 Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter
-1 Male Texas Map turtle (Graptemys versa)

Attachments

• DSC01527.jpg
    DSC01527.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01533.jpg
    DSC01533.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom