Aquarium turtle advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know if I have to have special water conditioner for the turtles or is fish water conditioner ok? or is the turtle conditioner ok for fish? I don't wanna continually buy both of the conditioners. Also in certain spots of my basking area it reaches 100degrees. Is that ok? It's big enough for the turtles to move around to different areas.

Fish water conditioner is fine for turtles. I use tetra brand and have never had problems. Your basking area shouldn't really get that hot, 78-80 would be enough, can u move the light further away, or buy a timer for that light so it doesn't heat up too much. For stinkpots it wouldn't matter tons as they rarely bask, but for basking turtles if be careful with it that hot. Having a good range of temp is good for them, so they could use it by not venturing under it fully, i don't think they would use it if it was too hot, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it, id try cooling it down slightly.

jkdubs2 said:
Does anyone know if I have to have special water conditioner for the turtles or is fish water conditioner ok? or is the turtle conditioner ok for fish? I don't wanna continually buy both of the conditioners. Also in certain spots of my basking area it reaches 100degrees. Is that ok? It's big enough for the turtles to move around to different areas.

You can use Fish conditioner for turtles. BUT reptile/amphibian water conditioner does have electrolytes for them. So it is different. Don't use turtle conditioner for fish.

Just wanna say ur tank is awesome! Makes me wanna put my turtle in my fish tank but that would end badly for me lol my turtle eats fish.

Nomadu571 said:
Fish water conditioner is fine for turtles. I use tetra brand and have never had problems. Your basking area shouldn't really get that hot, 78-80 would be enough, can u move the light further away, or buy a timer for that light so it doesn't heat up too much. For stinkpots it wouldn't matter tons as they rarely bask, but for basking turtles if be careful with it that hot. Having a good range of temp is good for them, so they could use it by not venturing under it fully, i don't think they would use it if it was too hot, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it, id try cooling it down slightly.

Ok so I'll move the light away a bit. I'm kinda dissapoints the turtles were supposed to be here by now but they're a half hour late so far.

AndrewsPistol said:
Just wanna say ur tank is awesome! Makes me wanna put my turtle in my fish tank but that would end badly for me lol my turtle eats fish.

Haha ya that would be no good for sure and thanks!

Coursair said:
You can use Fish conditioner for turtles. BUT reptile/amphibian water conditioner does have electrolytes for them. So it is different. Don't use turtle conditioner for fish.

Thanks for the info you and nomad. This is good cuz I do not wanna buy two separate conditioners.

There are a lot of responses on this thread so I just read a few I'm my experience of have a turtle/fish tank is my turtle will eat every lol, she has eaten any live plant I have put in there, a cray fish, a fiddler crab (that I was sold with out being informed they needed brackish), and multiple fish ex. Gold fish rosy reds plecostomus catfish etc. but I have her with jack Dempsey and convicts now and they get along great! Your turtle may be different just be carefully before you figure out the turtles personality

jkdubs2 said:
Ok so I'll move the light away a bit. I'm kinda dissapoints the turtles were supposed to be here by now but they're a half hour late so far.

Bummer, have you received your new babies yet? They are going to love their new home.

Flipmikeskater3 said:
There are a lot of responses on this thread so I just read a few I'm my experience of have a turtle/fish tank is my turtle will eat every lol, she has eaten any live plant I have put in there, a cray fish, a fiddler crab (that I was sold with out being informed they needed brackish), and multiple fish ex. Gold fish rosy reds plecostomus catfish etc. but I have her with jack Dempsey and convicts now and they get along great! Your turtle may be different just be carefully before you figure out the turtles personality

Thanks for the info and experience knowledge. I'm hoping if they grow up together it will work out better and if I keep them well fed. We shall see I guess. Wish me good luck on that! Lol

Nomadu571 said:
Bummer, have you received your new babies yet? They are going to love their new home.

No there was a mix up at the turtlesource office. They had the delivery down for tomorrow even though the email they sent said today. But since no one will be home tomorrow to get the turtles I now have to wait until 1030am central thursday. But on the up side they are sending me a free large bag of food I didn't even ask for bc of the mix up! So the turtle pics won't be up until Thursday :( which means it'll prolly be close to 1030pm for you nomad when I get them up cuz I don't get off work til 4 pm here lol

jkdubs2 said:
No there was a mix up at the turtlesource office. They had the delivery down for tomorrow even though the email they sent said today. But since no one will be home tomorrow to get the turtles I now have to wait until 1030am central thursday. But on the up side they are sending me a free large bag of food I didn't even ask for bc of the mix up! So the turtle pics won't be up until Thursday :( which means it'll prolly be close to 1030pm for you nomad when I get them up cuz I don't get off work til 4 pm here lol

Oh no, I'm so impatient that would kill me, lol. But that is a good way of saying sorry, will save u a few coins. If I'm awake then I'll be looking! Lol. I've normally collapsed before then but I'm awake now so u never know! Lol. I'll be looking forward to it. ?

Meet the new turtles! I took off early to get home haha. The darker one in the first pic is named Turt Russel and the second lighter one idk yet my girlfriend gets to name. They are way tinier than expected. I'll prolly tear down my ten gallon and set it up for them for a few months. Less holes to get trapped by!

Attachments

• image-1861875635.jpg
    image-1861875635.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1860561602.jpg
    image-1860561602.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 59
  • image-44410223.jpg
    image-44410223.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 63
They look very healthy, well done, "Turt Russell" lmao! The other one shud be "Turt Pliskin" lol. How are you liking your new babies? Have they got brave enough to explore yet or are they hiding?

Back
Top Bottom