Aquarium turtle advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to get a new 55g tank and I'm going to plant it. My question is what kind of aquatic turtle Is the least aggressive, smallest size, least damaging to plants, low bio load, and not likely to eat my smaller tropical fish (such as young tiger barbs), and all within a reasonable price? lol loaded question I know. I've heard good things about Mississippi Map turtles (males under 5" full grown) but I have no exp. with turtles in general.

Btw I plan on putting a deck for the turtle about 6" inches under water line with a basking deck at waterline and a rock ramp leading to the under water deck is that ok for it?

From what I know about turtles and with my experience I would say that a mud would probably be your best bet. I would try to find a 3-striped mud because they are a little smaller and can swim a tad better. I have my turtle with fish and haven't had an issue. For the plants the turtle may eat the plant, but maybe not. Make sure you have a sand or mud substrate or something that cannot be swallowed. A good place to get information is austinsturtlepage.com It's the best! These make great beginner turtles! Over filter!!! That's the biggest thing that I can tell you! I'm not sure where exactly you plan on putting the dock... But ask any questions if you have any!

Well the plan is to find a decorative piece that is flat on top and open underneath that can fit width-wise on a side of the tank and is under water and to set a basking deck that is out of the water on top of that and from there hang the lamps above it with see through plastic or glass blocking the turtle and water from getting out and on the other side just have a normal hood with plant lights for the plants. As far as filtration I was wanting to do and under gravel filter and put down a gravel substrate and cover the gravel with sand. And supplement that filtration with a normal hang on filter. Would that work?

Ok the basking thing sounds good. I'm a little iffy on the gravel filter since I've never had good luck with them. I would defiantly do a HOB (hang on back) filter as well. Try getting the aquaclear 70 or 110. I have the 70 on my lightly stocked 55g and it does wonderfully! I think that the substrate idea is good too. Any more questions?

I would stay away from the under gravel filter. More often than not they just accumulate waste under them and foul up your tank. The more filtration the better IMO. I would look into canisters rated at least 5-6 times the volume of the tank. I would also remove the turtle to feed it to avoid uneaten food messing up the tank.

Ya that's a good idea for the turtle feeding I'll def do that. And if the under gravel filtration was powered by a power head would it work better? As far as the canister filtration goes I've never done anything like that I don't think does it get expensive? And ya I'm def gonna have a HOB for it to help aeration a bit. And the wastes underneath the under gravel filter would be good for the plant life i thought?

jkdubs2 said:
Ya that's a good idea for the turtle feeding I'll def do that. And if the under gravel filtration was powered by a power head would it work better? As far as the canister filtration goes I've never done anything like that I don't think does it get expensive? And ya I'm def gonna have a HOB for it to help aeration a bit. And the wastes underneath the under gravel filter would be good for the plant life i thought?

I've seen power filters for about $50 on craigslist for a decent one. It was only on there an hour before it was taken... I'd look on amazon, that's where I'll be getting mine. The plant life actually might get hurt by the underground filter. The roots get into it and it's just bad. Go with a decent canister and maybe a HOB as well. Can't have too much filtration with a turtle!

Ya a canister filter seems like the best way to go now that I know wat it is lol. And I did look up the aquatop canister filters and they are a great price for canister filters compared to what else I've seen. Wat kind of filter media would I use for the 3 compartments tho if I didn't want to buy theirs so it would be more cost efficient? And I was thinking about using some gravel from a tank that I have only snails in to put under the sand so the bacteria needed is there already so it will cycle faster is that a good idea? Even with the turtle in it?

Oh and is the aquatop cf-300 good for a 55 or should I go with the 400?

Id go with the 400. More filtration the better IMO. In my canisters I run (from bottom to top) car wash sponges, Polly fill (100% polyester pillow filling) and ceramic rings & plastic pot scrubbies. Very cheap and works just as well as the 'proper' aquarium stuff.

Awesome! Both of u have been very helpful! Thanks, now I cant wait to get all the equipment and plants to set it up! If I have any more questions I know who to ask lol

Please just remember before u get the turtle u are committing to up to 50 years of taking care of this animal. It isn't something u can keep for a couple of years, get tired of it, and then let it go in the wild. Even if it is a native species.

I would buy the biggest filter u can afford. I kept turtles for multiple jobs (park service, state aquarium, etc.) , and I can't believe how much poop these guys can produce. Turtles can be poop machines. So the bigger the filter the less maintenance and cleaner water and smell. Read the reviews on amazon for the fluval fx5 canister. The are expensive but lot of people love them for turtle tanks.

Awesome thanks for filter help Mumma and Ben. I'll go with the 400 more than likely tho. And I'm thinking a stinkpot turtle would be good for me due to the way I plan to set up the tank (full tank with Tuttle topper) and also the fact that the lighting requirements tend to be a bit easier on them. As far as the uv requirements are concerned, will the plant light hood be good for that? Obviously I'll need a heat lamp but was curious for the uv.

The uv for reptiles and turtles needs to be UVB and provide d3, for metabolising calcium so I'm afraid you have to spend the money, and its worth buying a decent one. Without it your turtle will get either a soft shell or be very prone to fungus and disease. The strip light variety are by far the best, either repti-sun or repti-glo.

Ya I figured I'd need to spend the money no big deal. If it will keep the turtle healthy then that's good. I'll check out those lights.

Hey nomad I was wondering if the UVB strip light would be good for plants or if there is a dual strip light so I could have a repti bulb in and a plant bulb in the strip light? Also I saw that u can't have turtles shipped in US if it is under 4 inch except for educational purposes yet I see all these people unboxing on YouTube that are just regular citizens and their turtles are hatchlings and juveniles? Someone clarify that for me please! I want a smaller turtle so I can have it from as close to birth as possible.

They are not specifically designed for plants aswell, they give off the wrong sort of uv, but in thy process they do give off some of the right uv which means plants will grow under them, but not as healthy as they would under a plant specific bulb. If you get a two bulb fixture you can have a UVB and a plant bulb, which is the way I would do it. Just a warning that my musk loves to rip plants to shreds, so I don't use real plants for his tank, I was growing vals in his tank but as soon as they were long enough for him to eat he would rip them apart.
The UVB strips are the same as every other bulb so they fit in any normal fixture, either t5 or t8.
Edit; I am in the uk so we can buy ours from very early on, my musk was the size of my thumb nail when I got him, tiny. I don't know anything about the laws for such transactions in the us. Sorry.

Well thanks nomad sorry took so long on the reply but ya I'll prolly do the plant bulb with the UVB bulb as well. Are razorbacks any better with plants or is it just a turtle thing to rip out plants lol. And I was curious as to what kind of fish could be kept with them that they won't eat bc the fish would be to big for them to consider. I was thinking gouramis but I don't wanna risk the turtle eating them. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom