Bad Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
A lot of people turn to the internet to learn about fish, aquariums, aquatic plants, inverts etc. I am always dumbfounded by the BAD information and directions given. Perfect example. Put a foot long fish in a 30 gallon tank....

As stated info from a popular internet website.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no different here. I can scroll through this forum and quickly find 10-20 posts of horrible advice that has been regurgitated time and time again on this and other aquarium forums. One of the worst topics is PH levels for certain fish. The fish that "most" people purchase are hundreds of generations or more removed from wild caught fish and were bred in their non-native water conditions, stability is the key. Diet is another one that I laugh at when people say fish "need" a varied diet, that's the other I always laugh at.

Opinions of individuals is one thing. Even a personal blog I would take with a grain of salt. But a web site pitching bad info where you would think a bit more research would have been done....tsk tsk tsk.

I put this right up there with Fluval putting pictures on their box of fish too big for the tank. It shouldn't be sooo prevalent. It's sad. No wonder so many mistakes occur for well meaning people.

There are a lot of fish keeping books out there...presumably filled with reasonable, observations and suggestions....Still, the wisdom and suggestions of "the crowd" have a place....any suggestions other fish keeping websites?

Books are great but expensive especially if you are looking to stay current. I haven't gone to a library in a decade since the internet stopped moving at a crawl.

I surf A LOT. And it still amazes me the info I cannot find. So far this site has helped me more than others I have tried.

When are you gonna write your book? We all should each collectively pass on what we've learned. I mean the unfortunate truth about fw fish is nobody cares so most of the research I've found has had to be done independently. I've learned more from fw fishing and the industry surrounding it than I have from any academic sources. Marine biology has other more lucrative implications but fw it seems to me anyway is counting on us

Granted there is bad advice anywhere you go but our job is to give others our experiences and observations and let the OP decide which way to go. If we share those then at least we know it did work or not and is useful to others. As mentioned before it is useless to just quote others and then they quote them. So in other words share what happen to you and what you observed.

Granted there is bad advice anywhere you go but our job is to give others our experiences and observations and let the OP decide which way to go. If we share those then at least we know it did work or not and is useful to others. As mentioned before it is useless to just quote others and then they quote them. So in other words share what happen to you and what you observed.

+1
In my book, if you haven't done it or experienced it, you shouldn't be advising about it. Keep the responses for those who have. (y)

If you are offering an opinion, you should state so. To those reading an opinion, just remember, just because you see an opinion does not mean it was generated by facts. :nono:

I try to always state "I have read..." if I don't have first hand experience.

I try to always state "I have read..." if I don't have first hand experience.
It's always hard to get all my thoughts in a post, but I agree. I may not always say it the same, but whether "I have read, just my opinion, I have never, or many here", always try to state I'm not an expert. Many times will add for the op you need to research and get other opinions also.

And willing to add I'm sometimes wrong, or only have part of the information needed.

But see so many posts go unanswered, and feel if you can help someone down the right path that is warranted. And hopefully someone will answer with more expert advice.

I remember before I started a fish store employee saying live plants are bad for aquariums. I am so glad he was wrong.

Just wanted to stop in and say I am very thankful for this community and it's many members. I have found so much helpful information and have been helped many times. I am by far no expert, don't have near as many years of experience of some members here in the community, & I'm still am pretty new to the community but I try to pass the same help I've gotten along to new members or someone in need. It was nice to have such a welcoming group of members that were able to help me out and I'll do my best to pass along what knowledge I have learned.

Looking forward to the community book @toolman @TMaier @HUKIT @melosu58 @AndySager

I'm always amazed at how little research people do before a purchase or new project. On Facebook groups it's a constant flow of questions that could be answered by a 10 minute trip through Google. When I started there was lfs, Aquarium magazine, buy a book if you can find it mail order, or the library. In a small town with one lfs, and a library that had 2 books on aquariums, it wasn't easy. People now have a massive amount of info at their fingertips, but rarely seem to use it, let alone use it properly.

How many of these ppl will even still have a tank in 6 months??? Don't encourage them, we're the backbone

I remember the one impulse buy that worked for me was Assassin Snails. I got a few years back and now I have dozens.

Speaking of bad information, are new aquarium books still produced? Most of those I see in the stores are years or even decades old, and the information is clearly out of date. (A pleasant exception was Rachel O'leary's book on nano-fish.)

I prefer them to be a little old. I refuse to buy books the same year they are published. I prefer anything in the 2010s. 2010-2015 is best for me.

Seriously. There's nothing like the old stuff. They even smell better. Ppl have been keeping fish for centuries. I recognize the new major developments but for nostalgia and just as a sounding board there's nothing like those cheesy old hobby books

Back
Top Bottom