Banded carshark help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huma-huma said:
Im not attempting to argue, just dont want the OP being misled.

Yep I know. Just clearing up some confusion that might have come about from the previous couple posts.

I agree with both sides I do understand the ammonia nitrites and nitrate part (I've been doing freashwater for years I'm sure that part is the same) as for the rock I still plan on buying 250lbs I want to be able to make a cave for the shark and lion as for me adding more fish I havnt found any that would really work with what I have that I like (but I won't be adding anything for a while) the dimension of my tank is 24"x24"96" with a center overflow. The tank has been up and running with the fish for about a year with 50lbs of rock I havnt order rock because of price I didn't exspect it to be that much and I have to wait untell I can. But as for now my main issue is I have too many micro bubbles in my sump, I'm pushing a small amount into my tank I'm thinking of making my old 50gal tank into my new sump trying to figur out what planes are best for a home made sump and what I can do to lower my bubbles in the one I have now thank you all

I would suggest adding dry rock, no ammonia spike from die off and MUCH cheaper.

If you want to make caves, look at bulkreefsupply. Check out their dry tonga shelf rock, I ordered 50 pounds and got 2 huge shelf pieces that make great over-hangs and a lot of surface area for the much debated bacteria to grow. Very happy with that purchase.

Order from reefrocks.net they've got some shelf rock and base rock. 85 dollars per 50 pounds which is the cheapest you'll find online. But believe me, 150-200lbs will be enough bacteria wise. And you could make an awesome cave in the middle of the tank with a few cool over hangs. It wouldn't matter if a 10g had 30lbs of rock because you wouldn't be able to add more fish just because you've got alot of rock. So I'd order 50lbs at a time till you're happy with what you've got.

I'm starting to research fish/coral for my tank (not going to buy now just trying to build a game plan) and I'm having a problem finding fish that will mix my lfs just got in a Harlequin tusk fish the bio said that other fish would leave it be but doesn't say size it's $85 would my lion eat it? So I'm asking everyone for ideas I would like some coral but I have a box fish my lfs has a lot of little fish that won't work with the Lion and I know shrimp and crabs will get ate. So if anyone has some advise I would appreciate it I'm thinking I should be ready in about a month to start stocking

My worry is will the lion eat it that would be a pretty expensive diner

Are they hard to care for any special needs. It says meaty diet does that mean silversides or brine shrimp these might be considered dumb questions but I always thought the best answers come from those who have first hand experience this one is about 3 1/2 to 4 inch

Only200 said:
Are they hard to care for any special needs. It says meaty diet does that mean silversides or brine shrimp these might be considered dumb questions but I always thought the best answers come from those who have first hand experience this one is about 3 1/2 to 4 inch

Def not hard to care for. My lil tusk was eating pellets when i got him home. Make sure its an aussie tusk, not an indian tusk. The aussies get a bit more color in them and have insanely cool blue fangs;)

How can you tell the difference between a Aussie and a indian. All I have here is a petco and they give little to no info on there fish most of their employees don't even have tanks, it's a joke of a pet store. My closest store that I consider descent is 250 miles away and driving that far with live fish worries me but I have about 5 different clowns to choose from and only mushrooms for coral. By the way what are the better online stores. I still wonder how my tank made it to my area it's by far the biggest I've seen here.

By the way my lion has a sore on it's mouth and I'm not sure what it is if anyone wants to make a gander at it I have pics posted under a thread called lionfish thanks

It's a little red bump on the lower jaw. Kinda looks like it bumped into something but it's a smallish fish in a big tank so I'm not sure what would cause him to run into the sides

And it is an aussie I think I might need to buy it

Only200 said:
It's a little red bump on the lower jaw. Kinda looks like it bumped into something but it's a smallish fish in a big tank so I'm not sure what would cause him to run into the sides

Lionfish dont have the best eyesight to begin with. I cant remember i you have coral or not but he coulda gotten stung

Only200 said:
And it is an aussie I think I might need to buy it

It might not be for $85 I don't even think its that cheap wholesale but if it is then you must get it. That's a crazy good deal. Bluezooaquatics is a good online store as far as coral. Their fish are good but their prices are ok, not too expensive.

Hey bro..just got mine two weeks ago..he's about a foot long right now..from what I've read on them..they're light sensitive..use live sand better so it won't scratch their stomach..feed every other day preferably with tongs they aren't aggressive eaters if you feed him together with all his tank mates..they'll eat shrimp,scallops,fish..I wouldn't try goldfish like some ppl do they don't eat that in the ocean..they can hang with fish bigger than them..have mine with puffers(a Stars and Stripes, a porcupine puffer, dogface puffer, and a black trigger) they can grow anywhere between 3ft-4ft. I have live rock but not much so he can swim around. Big thing soak his food in iodine so you can prevent him from developing a goiter. Good luck keep in touch man!

JawsGarcia42 said:
Hey bro..just got mine two weeks ago..he's about a foot long right now..from what I've read on them..they're light sensitive..use live sand better so it won't scratch their stomach..feed every other day preferably with tongs they aren't aggressive eaters if you feed him together with all his tank mates..they'll eat shrimp,scallops,fish..I wouldn't try goldfish like some ppl do they don't eat that in the ocean..they can hang with fish bigger than them..have mine with puffers(a Stars and Stripes, a porcupine puffer, dogface puffer, and a black trigger) they can grow anywhere between 3ft-4ft. I have live rock but not much so he can swim around. Big thing soak his food in iodine so you can prevent him from developing a goiter. Good luck keep in touch man!

Hey not trying to steal this thread but how big is your tank?? My wife gave me the thumbs up for a shark/ray tank and I'm trying to get a size in mind for the bay windows it's going into... Thx

Back
Top Bottom