Basic VHO lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to upgrade the lighting on my 75-gallon tank but I have basically no idea what I'm looking at online and can't find any place locally that has VHO fixtures I can look at. I'm reasonably sure I can figure out how to wire things together if I had the pieces in front of me, but product descriptions are never complete enough for me to figure out what I would have to buy.

The tank currently has a shop light fixture with 2x48" 40W bulbs. If I bought this ballast and a couple bulbs, would I be able to set it up, or do I need other parts? ARO VHO Ballast, 220W - AquaCave

Also, what does "Raid start" mean? Would this start up on its own if it were plugged into a timer and just left on with power interrupted by the timer? It might just be a typo for "rapid start" but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

VHO's are becoming obsolete .... The current sweet spot for light is T5-HO. <Best ones has individual polished reflector for each bulb.>

Advantage of the T5-HO is efficiency - more light per watts, cooler & bulbs lasts longer. A good T5-HO bulb/reflector will prob put out more light than the VHO, esp. if you are putting that into a shoplight.

The VHO ballasts, however, can run the T5-HO. Standard 4' T5-HO's are 54W, so you should be able to wire 4 to that ballast (but at least 2). <YMMV since that is not what the ballast is designed for.> So you could get the ballast & swap that with the shoplight ballasts & run VHO for a while & upgrade later if needed.

The VHO will fit standard T12 holders, although I would worry a bit about heat in a standard shoplight fixture. If you have completely gutted the shoplight & it is open inside the canopy, you *should* be OK if the canopy is well ventilated. I would be leery of leaving it in the original fixture. I have seen VHO shoplight at HD & that fixture has much more space for ventilation compared with the standard shoplight.

PS - a simpler way to upgrade your light is to add a second shoplight <should have room in a 75>, and change to T8's. <T8's use the same lampholder as the T12 & if you have an electronic ballast in the T12, it will work.> That is what I have running, 4x32W T8's. (This is equal to 160W NO, or a bit more than 2x54W T5 HO.)

Last edited:
Thanks. I posted this on 4 forums, and got lots of people saying "I bought that one, and it rocks!" (about evenly divided as to which one they liked though) but you're the first to explain anything.

Back
Top Bottom