Bcarl's 10 gallon rescape journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good hopefully the carpet will turn out how you like. My buddy struggles with dbt but finally got it to carpet.

I have pressurized CO2 and sufficient lighting, so hopefully its a matter of time. I think the main problem was i tried to get too small of clumps out of the pot i ordered and the strands kept raising to the top.

Im posting a mid week update since i did a lot of work today. I removed the dwarf baby tears as the didnt look good and i couldnt get them to stay planted (any suggestions for a new foreground plant?) i trimed the cabomba and its filling in nicely. Please ignore the heater? and the mesh over the filter intake (i had gotten shrimp and they thought it was a slide but they were sadly mistaken). I am seeing some nitrite in the water due to the cycling process but that should clear up soon! Feel free to comment away!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391988868.839197.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391988868.839197.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 98
Glosso, UG, Elatine Triandra, Monte Carlo, Elatine Hydropiper, Downoi, Staurogyne Repens. All of these will work well.

I have micro swords but it came in a small plastic "pot" and it is a good 1-1/5" above the gravel!

Hey James! You probably need to un-pot your swords and plant them in some good substrate! Post a thread asking about it in the planted section and I bet lots of people will guide you in the right direction :)

Here is my week 3 update! The rotala is growing like crazy and i did a major trim to try to get it to bush up a bit. Not seeing a lot or red in it though. The bacopa is finally getting good growth and hope to trim and replant the stems too. I took so of the original stems of cabomba out and replaced them with newer growth. I did notice some of the lower leaves of the rotala were partly transparent maybe do to lack of light? Also are s.repens known for slow growth?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392571181.155886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392571181.155886.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 81
Does anyone have suggestions to try to get more red out of rotala indica? Also what helps cabomba get more bushy? And will root tabs help s.repens at all?

Weekly update picture! Starting to really grow in, the cabomba and rotala indica grow like weeds!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393290447.110179.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393290447.110179.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 81
Looks really good! You really blew that 10 gal up, my rotala indica kind of lost it's red too, I'm hoping some iron in its diet may help it back up..

Ive been trying to add a bit more iron, we will see what happens! I would add a fore ground plant but I will be moving in a few months and will be starting my 26 gal

Weekly update picture! I had a little BBA show up as my phosphate levels rose a bit too high but i corrected it and cleared up in a week. The cabomba is not getting as bushy as id like even after all the trimming. I pulled up most of the bacopa to remove the old heater and trimmed the old growth off the bottom. Still on the look out for some UG for the foreground if i can find some! I have really enjoyed this build so far!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393714531.269006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393714531.269006.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 73
Weekly update picture! I had a little BBA show up as my phosphate levels rose a bit too high but i corrected it and cleared up in a week. The cabomba is not getting as bushy as id like even after all the trimming. I pulled up most of the bacopa to remove the old heater and trimmed the old growth off the bottom. Still on the look out for some UG for the foreground if i can find some! I have really enjoyed this build so far!

I wouldn't pin the BBA problem to phosphates rising. Typically BBA arises from poor co2, and/or poor flow and co2 distribution. I wouldn't pin an algae problem to an excess of nutrients at all, actually, but rather a light/co2 imbalance.

Im posting a mid week update since i did a lot of work today. I removed the dwarf baby tears as the didnt look good and i couldnt get them to stay planted (any suggestions for a new foreground plant?) i trimed the cabomba and its filling in nicely. Please ignore the heater? and the mesh over the filter intake (i had gotten shrimp and they thought it was a slide but they were sadly mistaken). I am seeing some nitrite in the water due to the cycling process but that should clear up soon! Feel free to comment away!

To keep dbt down just put a few pieces of substrate on top of the plant, be sure not to cover it completely. After it takes hold remove the substrate.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly update pic pre trimming! I added some root tabs under the crypt and it has already made a huge difference. The little bit of algae has gone away. If anyone wants to get rid of some UG PM me!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394455162.637730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394455162.637730.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 78
Okay so weekly update time! The plants are really starting to take up some color however something is off with the nutrients because the higher leaves die instead of taking color. I did a water test and my phosphate is 2ppm and nitrate was about 10 ppm. I dose iron pretty regularly along with potassium. What do you guys recommend i change?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394984247.902735.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394984247.902735.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394984257.920415.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394984257.920415.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom