BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I follow Dave from ADU on youtube...He has a how to make red plants redder as one of his videos. The Secret To Keeping And Turning Plants RED-Aquascape-Aquascaping:

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recall Rivercats saying that the key to her red success was low nitrates and high phosphates. High light and abundant co2 is a given. I dose iron myself and crank my red spectrum to max. I recall when I used to ask in TPT and APE about iron, one person posted this thread.. I'm still on the fence on Fe.

https://sites.google.com/site/skepticalverdure/home/the-myths-of-red-plants

Wouldn't you want to crank up the blue spectrum not the red since the red in the plant is a reaction to ultraviolet light?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought it was the opposite. I could be wrong. Red plants use more blue and green spectrum for photosynthesis, and develop red pigment (anthocyanin) to 'reflect' red light away because it doesn't want it - hence why we perceive these plants as red. It's like a natural sunblock for them.. so it's seems logical, to me, if you want the plant to develop more of this natural defense against excess red, you feed it more red. Conversely, green plants reflect green, absorb red and blue for photosynthesis.

Edit:
You feed red plants more blue and stay lean on red (660nm), and it'll turn green, IME. That's why those, like myself at one point, who grew red plants in high tech tanks with Finnex Ray 2's, noticed reds fading bad. Take a look at the Ray 2's spectral chart and you'll see how disproportionately blue heavy the spectrum is.

Last edited:
Very insightful, Brian. Finally the back story on the Ray2 and washed out reds. Been wondering why all this time. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Interesting stuff, I've considered using the dimable RGB on the sat plus I have on there but I didnt think it would effect much. I used to not have any issues with red plants and in this case it may not be a case of making them redder but it almost looks like cholorosis. If the star repens and red plants are showing cholorosis it should be due to the same reason. So what would cause the loss of pigmentation in older leaves?

I thought it was the opposite. I could be wrong. Red plants use more blue and green spectrum for photosynthesis, and develop red pigment (anthocyanin) to 'reflect' red light away because it doesn't want it - hence why we perceive these plants as red. It's like a natural sunblock for them.. so it's seems logical, to me, if you want the plant to develop more of this natural defense against excess red, you feed it more red. Conversely, green plants reflect green, absorb red and blue for photosynthesis.

Edit:
You feed red plants more blue and stay lean on red (660nm), and it'll turn green, IME. That's why those, like myself at one point, who grew red plants in high tech tanks with Finnex Ray 2's, noticed reds fading bad. Take a look at the Ray 2's spectral chart and you'll see how disproportionately blue heavy the spectrum is.

Genius. Science for the win!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

After reading Andy's last post in his breeder build thread and now Brian_Nano12g's post I have a headache from all the information.

With the red plants you want a higher red spectrum and less of a blue spectrum or is it the other way around?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm glad this topic came up! While reading this, I decided to do a little investigation concerning some T5 HO bulbs and lighting in general. As a result, I'll be saving $20 and will be getting a better plant bulb. I found that the Aquaflora bulb by Giesemann gave out more blue emissions and wasn't as strong in terms of red wavelength as this bulb http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13821+13827&pcatid=13827

I also found a very nice thread that explains a lot. For anyone who is interested:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...sis.html#/forumsite/20597/topics/38014?page=1

Go Reds!

Im with Brian, based on my own personal experience. My bml has big reds on the board, when my ludwiga sp. Gets close to the top it goes insanely red. my phosphates are on the high side but my nitrates arnt always on the low side. Not saying anything here, just sharing me personal experience. I do also dose iron once a week. Usually..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im also with brian also. Anthocyanin is produced instead of chlorophyl in reaction to red light.

Im also of the belief you should shoot for high phosphates in the presence of low nitrates.

Iron is also needed for the plant to keep the red. Iron wont turn it red. Its still very important though

Co2 is also very important in turning plants red

What type if iron should you use though?

Seachem iron.. easy there;) $10/ yr. At worst.. premixed.. no brainer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my macrandra Bcarl...

You can see my new growth from the old stems i received

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424195010.680332.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424195022.701729.jpg

Looks like a healthy plant! Unlike mine... Hmmm...

Heres a new one..... Now some stems are turning purple....? What the....? Im starting to think my tank is radioactive.... Tear down is evident.
img_3163558_0_2bd52667bdab151667d3ed04c67f056a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom