BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you vacuum substrate like floramax and EC? doesn't it just get sucked up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Interesting. I've been pondering over the vacuuming thing and I'm in a bubble with it. I have Flourite black sand under two layers of Eco-Complete. How could I possibly vacuum mine? It's probably mixed up a little bit too from plant movements, etc.

Go Reds!

I find that if you want to gravel vac EC/Floramax, it can be done with a small gravel vac.. the long shinny tube creates less siphon than its larger counterparts. I use the "small" one of this from time to time. You'd be amazed how much mulm accumulates in EC. IMHO, it seems to help freshen the substrate when it reaches a point of diminishing return. I've experienced a decline in growth and then after a good vac, seen things return back to healthier living conditions.

The "small" version works well at this task. Just watch if the tube fills up with too much EC and then just pull it.. then start over.

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fis...d36-16747/cat-36-catid-300018?var_id=36-16747

Im pretty sure thats the exact vac I have! LOL! And i got a surprising two days off from work so im shooting to start the tear down tomorrow and finish on thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, Ive never seen it before. Looks quite interesting though. Im going to try to keep this as close to "all natural" as i possibly can.

I've seen that product. Never used it. It always stirs up discussion because of the bacteria in a bottle thingy.
If given the choice, I would rather physically remove waste by siphoning or whatever means. Not saying the product is bad, but if waste can be removed before it breaks down, then that's a good thing.

I've seen that product. Never used it. It always stirs up discussion because of the bacteria in a bottle thingy.
If given the choice, I would rather physically remove waste by siphoning or whatever means. Not saying the product is bad, but if waste can be removed before it breaks down, then that's a good thing.

I'm always skeptical of magic in a bottle or as Brookster calls them snake oils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It does look like a "too good to be true product." When I siphon my tank in the future, I'll just siphon it very carefully.

Go Reds!

For a long time I've never vac'd my substrate (flourite) because of info I read to not to do it for a planted tank. But recently (two months now) I've vac'd with every wc. It's seems to help as Brian stated. It's getting hard though, since the s.repens are slowly starting to taking over the remaining places to vac.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've not vacd my substrate in a long time because it's mostly sand.. the floramax in my 5.5 has accumulated a major amount of crap in a short period.. mostly plant mulm but it's packed. B- do you have any snails in there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, i used to from the 10 gallon. I think the pH is too low for them. I usually knock around the top of the substrate and then get as close as i can with a vac.

I used to not vacuum with my repens carpet... I used to not be able to see the bottom... Oh the memories...

Well guys, round 1 is complete... It was a process but that black eco complete was closer to brown.... well not anymore. Round 2 will commence tomorrow morning. For now the filter is running on full blast and I through the nano in there to help move water around. If this doesnt work I am out of guesses. Heres some pics!
img_3169967_0_bb7708f7ca03318885c291c765c59e90.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3169967_1_b6279acb17506ff0bacd8e9b2c668d3d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3169967_2_ed11520aa794fd35dd6040e22f34b829.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3169967_3_0b65632f2707336040ba4a5447c6352c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fre-frehhh-freshhhh

I may need new star repens stems, couldnt salvage too much but the root systems were incredible.

I may need new star repens stems, couldnt salvage too much but the root systems were incredible.

I'll send you enough of everything to fully plant that tank in one night! It will look as if I poured all my tanks into yours!! Hehe we all have the same plants. Silly..

Lol! One benefit of us growing all the same plants, maybe we should all branch out to different forums and find new plants....

Lol! One benefit of us growing all the same plants, maybe we should all branch out to different forums and find new plants....

I did... stupid bucephelandra...stupid glosso...

I almost went with glosso too but then i saw what happens to OS.

I almost went with glosso too but then i saw what happens to OS.

My gbr had a $30- 3 day buffet..
he went full vegan on me...

I hate glosso from now on it's HC or UG for my tanks although Elatine hydropiper has caught my eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

B- hc !! Nano jack style with the steel mesh?? UG would be new and exciting as well....not like dr. Nano did it or anything;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom