BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heres a new one..... Now some stems are turning purple....? What the....? Im starting to think my tank is radioactive.... Tear down is evident.
img_3163583_0_2bd52667bdab151667d3ed04c67f056a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hate to say it man... i think it may be time to try something fresh and new:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Something new and fresh, like ADA AquaSoil, perhaps? LOL

On a more serious note, sorry to see you're still experiencing these issues. Seems like you addressed lighting, co2/ferts, water source... don't know what else?

Maybe there's something, like a plant virus, living in the substrate. I also recall Fresh saying something about bad batches of Eco Complete? Or, are you using DIY root tabs? Could be something off there, if that's the case.

Last edited:
Heres a new one..... Now some stems are turning purple....? What the....? Im starting to think my tank is radioactive.... Tear down is evident.
img_3163637_0_2bd52667bdab151667d3ed04c67f056a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very odd. It seems like your doing everything right to correct these issues. Sorry about how things are going with this. Maybe it is time to do an overhaul?

Go Reds!

Another member described a bad batch of EC. Similar symptoms. This tank is not showing the same signs. Not to say that an agent exists in the tank that could be responsible for the bad growth. What is odd is that other plants in your tank (pogo) are thriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The pogo actually stopped growing so well over the past few weeks or so. Its still has healthy growth but the rate has slowed.

Im leaning towards a deep cleaning here in a few weeks when work slows down. I am moving next winter so at that point aquasoil will come into play as it will be easier to tear down the tank rather than move it.

At this point there is just something funky going on with this tank. And yes Ive been using the Mebbid roottabs since around november/december.

And honestly half of the ecocomplete came from my 10 gallon. I used about a bag and a half or so of the fine grain stuff. Tank grew great for a while...

I would really try the water source test again. "It isnt science of you can't repeat it" ~Mythbusters

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have no more healthy s.repens stems

Looks like im going to drain the tank and turn the substrate this weekend. Should be a full weekend of tanking!

Looks like im going to drain the tank and turn the substrate this weekend. Should be a full weekend of tanking!

Get beer!!! Good beer!! Like the ada of beer.. not the floramax of beer..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Turn as in turnover and mix it up? Will you be vacuuming it as well? After running my tank for 1.5 years I vacuumed the heck out of it. There was a ton of accumulated waste and detritus present.

Oh yeah, vacuuming will be happening as well. Think of it as like spring cleaning for the tank!

Stop mentioning the ADA next thing you know some bag of AS will magically appear on my doorstep... But sounds like a good weekend for a good craft beer!

How do you vacuum substrate like floramax and EC? doesn't it just get sucked up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You do it carefully, ive done it a few times, im just not convinced this will work but it cant hurt...

But sounds like a good weekend for a good craft beer!

I like this thread.
You could put portions of it in a colander and hose it out completely. It's inert and free of nutrients so your are not losing anything. Were are talking about EcoComplete, right?
Do you think you've got the issue figured out? Fingers crossed the RODI hooked up to a different source works out.

No, im not convinced i have it figured out at all, still been cutting the water with spring water. The only thing the spring water has that I dont is chloride and sodium.

On a side note the downoi once again failed to grow...

Also i came across some pictures of my old 10 gallons and boy that tank really had some good moments. Im not sure if RO water has been good to me this far. This tank was perfect for about 3 months and now everything a struggle. It will be interesting to see what happens after i tear it down. If/when i eventually go to aqua soil i will use mostly tap with a little RO. Ill hang onto the system since one day i will be a reefer (good thing my lady supports it)

The next fun project on this tank is going to be building a DIY Rex griggs style reactor, shooting to build it in april or may. I havent been pleased with all the bubbles from the atomic diffusor. It would work better in a tank that needs less CO2.

Back
Top Bottom