Beginning to cycle..questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2ppm again nitrates still climbing thats good. Check your pH also if you alrwady added ammo test pH tomorrow than make sure its still in that 8 range

Not to jump the gun much but plan on fish say saturday if your up for big 100% ish water change friday night

ok, so really only about 22hrs later...

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates higher apprx. 50-60ppm if not more. EDIT: I was too quick reading the nitrates. at the 5 min mark it was WAY closer to 60-80ppm.

its kind of hard for me to tell between 40-80. its super red this time and less orange. highest ive seen so far. :)

ok so do i dose ammo to 3ppm or 4ppm now?

is it techincally cycled now? yesterday after i added ammonia it came to about 3ppm and now its all gone and 0 nitrites..

Honestly probably yes. Add 4ppm ammo remember 4ppm is the key not 2 not 3 but 4ppm. Do that today again tomorrow. Friday when you test if it's all 0 again and you want to get fish on Saturday, Friday after you test if it's all good turn heater down do the 100% ish water change double the dose of prime so for you a full cap full wait 10 minutes turn your filter back on go get fish on Saturday. You've come this far couple more days won't hurt

Honestly probably yes. Add 4ppm ammo remember 4ppm is the key not 2 not 3 but 4ppm. Do that today again tomorrow. Friday when you test if it's all 0 again and you want to get fish on Saturday, Friday after you test if it's all good turn heater down do the 100% ish water change double the dose of prime so for you a full cap full wait 10 minutes turn your filter back on go get fish on Saturday. You've come this far couple more days won't hurt

does it make a difference if i am not adding a bunch of fish at once? jw..

As nicely as I can lol I'm not going to answer that. I know you've waited and you want fish I'm only suggesting 2 more days of patience with the cycle.

As nicely as I can lol I'm not going to answer that. I know you've waited and you want fish I'm only suggesting 2 more days of patience with the cycle.

lol ok...i know. im dying today. just knowing its 00 makes me want fish in the water. i was planning to slowly add fish over the weeks.

i understand...but ahhh haha

Once you've completed this cycle done be worried about adding a few fish, load it up if you want. Have you thought about what you want yet?

Once you've completed this cycle done be worried about adding a few fish, load it up if you want. Have you thought about what you want yet?

yes. prob cardinal tetras to start. maybe some other tetras or rasboras. i really like the lambchop rasboras. also maybe some corys and possibly a blue ram or bolivian im not sure...

I love my Cardinal tetras there so pretty. Remember when you do get your fish home acclimate them properly, don't feed them that day and no lights on that day either

Plus these couple extra days now that you know fish are coming you can really focus on what you want and not focus on the cycle for these last couple days

I love my Cardinal tetras there so pretty. Remember when you do get your fish home acclimate them properly, don't feed them that day and no lights on that day either

ok cool. I know i think theyre beautiful.

I will. I have read up on acclimating.

Thanks didnt know about no feeding and no lights.

what is the best kind of all around food? there seems to be so much and i know you can mix it up but what is a good base? if that makes sense...

I use regular Omega flakes every day 1 time a week they get either blood worms or shrimp and every other day I add in 2 veggie tablets for the pleco, otos, and the corys. The blood worms and shrimp usually get eaten quick by the rainbows but evrty now and than a platy can sneak one lol. The tetras never stand a chance unless the shark takes over and the rainbows hide

Back
Top Bottom