Best way to start up second tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 38 gal up and running with fish in it for about a month now. Started it with Tetra safestart. I want to get my 20 gal up and running. What is the best way to start it up? Just use the safestart again, or add water from the other tank (how much)?

Also, I was going to move 4 of the tiger barbs from my current tank to the 20 gal. How many should I start with? Just a couple at first as to not put too much load on the tank or can I do all four?

Thanks for the help. Look forward to using the forum.

For seeding the new tank, put sone gravel or filter media from the running tank if you can spare some. The water isn't where the bacteria is. The bacteria is on the surfaces of the things in the tank.

I don't know about the other part of your question. But I hope I have helped with the first part.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

I would run the filter your going to use on the 20 gallon on the 38 for a couple of weeks then when your ready the new tank is instantly cycled.

Put in some gravel from you established tank but don't add the tiger barbs yet. Buy some industrial ammonia and use that instead. It will be a lot less work and cycle more quickly.

When it is up and running add two tigers at a time let it sit a week make sure the levels are ok and then add the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I've seeded 6 tanks (7 if you include the fact we moved the first tank 1000 miles and I had to seed it again when we got here) and seen only fully cycled results on tests.

I run more filtration than required. I also run filters which share a type of media insert, etc.

Here's a step by step of what I do...

Setup the new tank with it's gravel, etc, let the filters run, make sure there's no issues with the equipment. Then turn off the filter, heater, empty the water.

Take 50% of the water from old tank and put in new tank.

Refill old tank (basically you just did a 50% water change on your old tank).

Top up the new tank, turn on your filter (you have just 50% water changed your new tank). Turn on heater. Make sure old and new tanks read as same temp. Because you have the same source of both old tank water and new tank water, pH etc should be exactly the same in both tanks.

Put some of your filter media from your old tank into your new tank. Don't replace all as you have to leave some in your old tank. This is one of the reasons I used to run multiple filters on each tank.

Put some of your gravel and/or ornaments from the old tank into the new tank. I would always move quite a lot of it and leave it in the new tank, but if your new tank is very different, you can simply keep the substrate/gravel in a cup of piece of fabric which water can flow through and sit it in the tank.

Transfer a fish or two from old tank to new tank (should be no acclimation required if you matched temp, as I said if your old tank and new tank water are from the same place they should match). If they're staying there, great, if not, try to find a fish to put in there which has a bioload appropriate for the size of the NEW tank and what you intend to put in it.

You need to add fish SLOWLY. If you have a schooling fish to put in there, put small amounts in. Monitor the parameters closely and the first time you do a water change (if your water parameters are OK) do a smaller water change than normal. If your params are bad, then you need to do more water changes.

Anyway, that's me. Has worked every time for me. Obviously you return your starter fish to the original tank, etc, whenever you have your new fish for the new tank available.

Thanks for replies. The tanks are completely different so adding gravel is not an option, but I do like the idea of putting it in another media that the water can flow through.

When you say filter media does this work?

I have an old whisper filter (double cartridge) in the large tank with two biobags and two biofoams. The 20 gal has a smaller single cartidge (same size cartridge) whisper. Would taking one bio bag and biofoam combo from the old tank and putting it into the 20 gal work then? How long do I run the tank before adding fish if I take this route?

Also, I do have plenty of the safestart left that I could use. I guess I am just looking for the "best" way to do it. I remember reading that cycling from an established tank was always preferred.

Thanks again.

I'm following for I will be doing this in a week. Great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Thanks for replies. The tanks are completely different so adding gravel is not an option, but I do like the idea of putting it in another media that the water can flow through.

When you say filter media does this work?

I have an old whisper filter (double cartridge) in the large tank with two biobags and two biofoams. The 20 gal has a smaller single cartidge (same size cartridge) whisper. Would taking one bio bag and biofoam combo from the old tank and putting it into the 20 gal work then? How long do I run the tank before adding fish if I take this route?

Also, I do have plenty of the safestart left that I could use. I guess I am just looking for the "best" way to do it. I remember reading that cycling from an established tank was always preferred.

Thanks again.

Yes, taking a bio bag and placing it in the new filter will work just fine. But if you can put some gravel, even if you keep it locked up in a mesh bag OR what I've done before was use a pair of nylons, slip the gravel in that and keep it in the new tank till it established then remove it. Then you don't have that mixed in gravel. If you follow what tim said your tank should cycle pretty quickly without the safestart. I try and avoid things that aren't needed at any cost. Your tank will be more stable in the long run if you can cycle without it.

Back
Top Bottom