Betta in community and food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a female Betta in my 20 gal tank with some Platy's, Molly and cardinal tetras. Now my question is I feed tropical granules to my freshwater fish and I can't keep the Betta from eating them and vise versa. So is it ok to just keep feeding the granules to all including my Betta?

Thanks

You can also use foods like frozen brine shrimp or pellets like New Life Spectrium Thera A which are good for all fish types and helps improve color. Read whats in the Betta pellets and compare ingredients to your flakes and you might find very similar ingredients.

Calypso77 said:
I have a female Betta in my 20 gal tank with some Platy's, Molly and cardinal tetras. Now my question is I feed tropical granules to my freshwater fish and I can't keep the Betta from eating them and vise versa. So is it ok to just keep feeding the granules to all including my Betta?

Thanks

It's kind of a hassle but you can also separate your Betta by putting her in a breeder net/box while feeding. Then you can feed her the Betta food & the others their food, release her when everyone's done eating. My female Bettas munch on anything I put in the tank, I have 8 females, 2 algae eaters & a Mystery snail; the females munch on the algae wafers & veggies.

There is nothing to worry about, they are the same thing. It's just one more thing they can get people to buy. If you want to do something special for him, get a few semi aquatic plants, put them in a little pot and hang it on the side of your tank as the roots grow into the water out the bottom of the pot your betta will eat on them. Look up "riparium pots" they work well

Betta will have to compete for all food. Until the fish is settled in with the group it mau avoid the feeding frenzy and surf the waterline for food. Once the fish is acclimated into the group, he/she will hang out around the edges of the feeding frenzy and will get a share of the food.

My bettas eat everything we put in our community tank, they love frozen bloodworms, flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, sinking carnivore pellets, floating pellets, I've even seen them eat algae flakes. I wouldn't worry about it!

Back
Top Bottom