Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
So exerting I go to a lfs, I see all the poor bettas in cups. I want to save them all but know I can't. Is it possible to house one or two of them with other fish? I have a 55 gal with a few tetras, gbr's, bolivians and one electric blue ram. Is it possible to put one in there?

Yes you can. In that big of a tank if it's heavily planted I would keep two with nothing else. But to answer your initial question, yes you can keep a betta in that tank with all those fish.

Yeah a 4 ft tank with Two Male betta's could be fine. The LFS owner told me he'd done it before. If they can stake out their own territory they'll just chase each other out of it. Of course, they could kill though.

I wouldn't do it. It's risky putting netted in community tanks IMO.
If someone is going to get nipped bettas are first in line... Lol

I did a double hex tank about a year ago and combined them with 2 tubes and put a male betta on both sides and even though they could get to each other they claimed their territory and left each other alone so I could see that working in a 55g easy....just keep an eye

jetajockey said:
2 bettas alone in a 55g tank? What a waste of space.

I would do 2 male bettas a couple schools like white cloud minnows and harlequin rasborias and then a nice school of cory and then maybe 2 or 3 pairs of german blue rams and u would be good and look really nice to

Personally, I would recommend females. Shorter fins, better swimmers, and they have a better chance of doing better in a community with other fish then some males.
Not to say males can't do fine, both of mine do, but it depends on the individual betta.

Years ago my son broke my one betta tank, I threw the betta in my 55g which had tropicals and another male betta. Everyone lived peacefully for 2+ years. I planned on it being temporary but since all was good... Just like anything else... What may work for one, may not for another....

I would NOT recommend multiple bettas in the same tank, especially males. I couldn't even keep females together in a heavily planted 45 with other community fish. Once they decide they don't like each other, they are relentless in pursuing the weaker fish no matter how much plant cover you have.

A single male or female betta is most often fine in a community tank, as long as tank mates are chosen carefully.

Here's the "rescue"

Attachments

• image-2160308835.jpg
    image-2160308835.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2166880793.jpg
    image-2166880793.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2446749880.jpg
    image-2446749880.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image-584535594.jpg
    image-584535594.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
And the other. He was really hiding for a few days but now he's out and about.

Attachments

• image-2702699622.jpg
    image-2702699622.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 47
  • image-964562287.jpg
    image-964562287.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-781896010.jpg
    image-781896010.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 54
Tracie6283 said:
So exerting I go to a lfs, I see all the poor bettas in cups. I want to save them all but know I can't. Is it possible to house one or two of them with other fish? I have a 55 gal with a few tetras, gbr's, bolivians and one electric blue ram. Is it possible to put one in there?

It depends on if the betta is docile or aggressive but if you have plants it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom