Big Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's fully cured then there will be little to no die off (ie ammonia). What he will need to do is 'feed' the bacteria if it's fully cured by either a) dosing ammonia directly b) adding a bit of fish food c) dropping a piece of raw fish/shrimp to decay d) stocking the tank once he is sure one of the other ammonia sources gets dropped to 0 thru the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle.

jump starting or adding ammonia is just a way of keeping the bacteria alive and ensuring that the 'instant cycle' is actually complete
IMO

If you put the LR in with the cycle you will accomplish 2 things. You will cycle the tank and cure the LR. As the captain said if the rock is already cured then you might not see much of a cycle. But you`ll need to put an ammonia source in there to feed the nitrifying bacteria. A couple weeks of testing should let you know.

Thanks Captain... I was wondering why wouldn't a Fully Cured Rock not skip the cycle I read about it and was told by my LFS that it could be done as well I mean I don't mine going thru a Whole entire cycle with uncured rock... I'll be dead by the time it's Fully Cured.... But in any case I will do whats best for my LR and future Reef but I will post a Pic later today to show you guys this Hugh Cloud of White I have right now in my Tank....

some LFS rent diatom filters... Run one of them over night.. ur cloud will disappear. I have one stashed away that I use once in awhile to polish off the water or when my goby has a hissy fit and stirs things up.

As already stated, if I browsed correctly, your tank will still fluctuate through a cycle except the parameters will just graph lower. Cycles are not skipped, but altered.

Alright Guys I made some Progress In my Water salinity I just changed out 6 gallons of water and replace it with 6 gallons of Fresh Water my reading is now at 1.024 You think if I change another 3 gallons would it bring down to 1.022 or 1.023?:bandit:

Oh and water clarity is not as bad as this morning and looks like it starting to clear up a hole lot...

Here is the beginning stage of my 55 gallon not much yet but in the next few weeks I will introduce LR... Hopefully about 40LBS worth.... I might need to purchase a new skimmer I notice the one I got was a Submersible one and it will take up room in my tank any one no of a good Hang on Skimmer?

Attachments

• 08.19.2008.jpg
    08.19.2008.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 78
If it's 'Submersible' it's meant for a sump not in the main . Check out the Octopus HOB's

I think 1.024 is a great salinity to have. I use to run mine at 1.020 but my hitch hiker corals did not thrive. Once I upped my salinity they grew like crazy.
You may want to consider taking a little more water out. Once you add the rock, it will take up space and raise the water level.

Hey is it normal for the salt dust to stay on the inside on the glass or was that silt from the sand?

Diatoms are a type of algae that are common in new tanks. They generally burn out in a week or so. They look like brown dust and can cover the glass, rocks, sand, etc.

Does it come off pretty easy? If so, it's probably silt.

Yeah it comes off pretty easy... Should I remove it or let it be....??? Also Took out about 4 more gallons and replaced it with 4 gallons of fresh water and now my Salinity is between 1.022 and 1.023 I think I am satisfied with the level that I have it at... Also Just for now til I get a new Skimmer I will use the Skimmer I have that's is Submersible.... I'm pumps out about 150 GPH so I should be goo til I get a Hang on.... At least to cure whatever LR i will have in there.... Well I will let you guys know about my cycle once it's started and will go from there.... I just want to tell everyone in the forum you guys been great to answers all my Dumb questions..... everyone has been so kind to give there ideas, opinions, and thoughts......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom