Biocube 29 Reef. My first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grim-Reefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Biocube 29 reef. First tank
My first tank ever. Started 9-30-2011

16 lbs LFS live rock. (it had hitchhikers of 1 snail and 1 feather duster that looks Hawaiian, each is still alive and well) Rock grew one aptasia and i promptly killed it by squirting aptasia-X per instructions)

10 lbs base (long dead and dried) rock.

20 lbs live sand

Biocube Skimmer
UV sterilizer (installed but turned not on yet)

All LFS cured saltwater.

Lights: 10k dual tube actine and
10k dual tube 50/50
So a total of 3 blue actine tubes and one white tube. Also have the stock moonlight LEDs. Installed and occasionally use small submerged LED multicolor light strip with airbubles.

Use dual air pump rather than weaker single stock pump.

Filter: No bio balls. Instead 3Lbs live rock frags in mesh bag. And Using biocube carbon filter. Modified (cut level) the wall between chamber 1 and 2. Stock sponge on pump.

78-79 degrees.

Rio 50 power head.

After LFS confirmed Water parameters were acceptable, these Fish were added on 10-9-11 using 90 min acclimation:

2 ORA false perc clowns. Small
3 small green chromis.
1 runt chromis (who was way too small and died after being exhausted fighting filter suction and water flow). Everyone else ate right away and keeps eating and is happy.

Just got through with 1st brown diatom bloom.

I added a fake mushroom coral and it seems the clowns laid little eggs.

Had to Leave them all for a day. Hope they are ok tomorrow.

My avatar pic is of one of the clowns.

Today, 09:39 PM #2
SleepsWithFish
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds cool!!! Did you add all those fish at the same time??

Today, 10:42 PM #3
Grim-Reefer
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish
Sounds cool!!! Did you add all those fish at the same time??

Reply.
Yes. I had a bag with the chromis and a second bag containing the 2 clowns and used a chip clip to keep the bags moored to the back wall so the clowns and chromis saw one another during acclimation. They then entered like pals. But I think chromis are peace loving anyway. Letting them see but not touch probably helped everyone to feel safe enough they didn't exude fear or aggression when released??

I'm going to buy a 29 Biocube .should I leave it stock or do you recommend any mods?

I'm not sure. I saw several folks advocating the modification of getting rid if the bio balls (calling the balls a nitrate factory). LFS agreed that placing live Rock frags in chamber 2 instead of balls was better so that's what I did. There is a wall between chamber 1 and 2 that has a two level lip that only lets water over 1/2 of the lip. I saw where several people advocated continuing the cut across the lip and removing that part to increase flow. I did that. Seems good.

Back
Top Bottom