Biological clocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whilst my insomnia keeps we awake I came down stairs to check on the fish and get a drink. I flicked the lights on and found all the fish laying on the bottom of the tank.

Don't panic they seem fine now. However it led me to thinking do fish know the difference between day and night despite the lack of light of a night time.

If I left the lights on for a week would they assume it's a long day or will they know that the lights are on.

After leaving the lights on for a few minutes they soon started swimming around again.

I don't expect many answers but interesting question I feel.

Whilst my insomnia keeps we awake I came down stairs to check on the fish and get a drink. I flicked the lights on and found all the fish laying on the bottom of the tank.

Don't panic they seem fine now. However it led me to thinking do fish know the difference between day and night despite the lack of light of a night time.

If I left the lights on for a week would they assume it's a long day or will they know that the lights are on.

After leaving the lights on for a few minutes they soon started swimming around again.

I don't expect many answers but interesting question I feel.

I dont really understand your question, but yes fish know when to sleep and when to stay awake, i have a 20g in my living room. When the tank lights go off if the lights are on the rooms than the fish will still be out and about doing there normal thing. When the lights in the room go off the fish sleep. They know its time to sleep when there is no light.

That's what I assumed. But people say that the lights in the tank are for our benifit and not the fish. The exception would be plants but let's leave them out for now.

That's what I assumed. But people say that the lights in the tank are for our benifit and not the fish. The exception would be plants but let's leave them out for now.

Eh well thats kind of true, if you turn off the lights, and the lights in the room are off and you have no windows you fish will become cave fish after a while so they like the light too. It keeps them on a good schedule as they know when the lights are on and when they go off

Fish don't sleep, they go into power saving mode. When lights go off, they'll become colorless, transparent, will try to hide and relax.

When light go on, they resume to normal mode. They get colorfull, they start to do normal things (seeking for food, seeking for food, seeking for food and seeking for food...)

Fish will be more happy if you keep lights open 6-12hrs/days. In my case I use timer for plants.

Back
Top Bottom