Black ghost fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy **** I need to get rid of them, tank is way to small for these.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they do. Not as large as clown knifes though. Talking 3 feet with those.

I believe a brown ghost knife fish is the smaller of the two? I've never seen one of those come up for sale at lfs but black ghosts show up regularly. I keep looking at them but would need another tank.

Unfortunately this is another cute little fish that gets sold with no information.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plenty of info on the internet. Yes a shop should be providing info and even vetting customers on a fish like this. But im sorry ignorance is no excuse. Jeez it takes 30seconds to enter the fish name in google and you'll have all the info needed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plenty of info on the internet. Yes a shop should be providing info and even vetting customers on a fish like this. But im sorry ignorance is no excuse. Jeez it takes 30seconds to enter the fish name in google and you'll have all the info needed

I agree but the kid with his mom that listened to the kid at the shop....well you know what I mean.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you rely on Google over experience than that's ignorance, getting a second opinion doesn't hurt anyone.

If you rely on Google over experience than that's ignorance, getting a second opinion doesn't hurt anyone.

Yes Google itself can spit random info but you can use it to navigate to trusted sources. Not saying anythings wrong with asking here(this is a fish forum lol) but just pointing out the info exists and Google can be used to find it.

Yes Google itself can spit random info but you can use it to navigate to trusted sources. Not saying anythings wrong with asking here(this is a fish forum lol) but just pointing out the info exists and Google can be used to find it.

even non trusted sources can still give a general idea usually.

Caleb

Yeah I know, but that's like saying don't discuss fish on a fish based forum and Google everything you have questions about, I just thought that was unnecessary the way it was put by skelly. No offense I'm not here to argue...maybe debate a little.

Yeah I know, but that's like saying don't discuss fish on a fish based forum and Google everything you have questions about, I just thought that was unnecessary the way it was put by skelly. No offense I'm not here to argue...maybe debate a little.

I apologise. I thought it was unnecessary you bought an unsuitable fish for your tank

Meh who hasn't done that, by the way no one's perfect. I'm sure you have waaaaaaaaaay more experience in fish and know everything that there is to know via Google :)

Meh who hasn't done that, by the way no one's perfect. I'm sure you have waaaaaaaaaay more experience in fish and know everything that there is to know via Google :)

I seriously wasnt starting an issue with you. I just feel it should be the responsibility of the buyer to know about a fish and its needs before purchasing. I know in reality a lot of people do not do this.

Would you go and buy a dog without researching its specific needs, as each breed is different. Probably not.
I just wonder sometimes why fish are treated differently.

I would say 9 out of 10, and i include myself, think its just a fish. Wrong really, but thats just how it is

This shouldn't ever happen in this day and age in my opinion, especially since posting from app on your phone so it's clear you have access to the internet. Sure decades ago I made mistakes as this but with having the internet in the palm of your hand and to still go ahead and purchase a fish without a quick Google search seems pretty irresponsible to me.

This shouldn't ever happen in this day and age in my opinion, especially since posting from app on your phone so it's clear you have access to the internet. Sure decades ago I made mistakes as this but with having the internet in the palm of your hand and to still go ahead and purchase a fish without a quick Google search seems pretty irresponsible to me.

Glad someone agrees

I think it all kinda depends on the fish. There are some fish that are poorly labelled and there's no information- try googling "indian loach" (the label for the rare aborichthys I bought) and you'll find information on just about every loach. Even being the loach guy I am, I misidentified it as a schistura for a while.

Then again, the first search for "black ghost fish" is the liveaquaria page with a fairly accurate care sheet....

They were alot smaller 3 months ago, plus they never killed my fish,I'm just worried about the growth rate and where I'm going to put them.

Didn't someone say it's usually a toss up when it comes to buying cichlids? Once again everyone fails to realise that it doesn't matter where you look first, sure I could have Google it but I wouldn't get the experience I do listening to several different ideas at once.

They were alot smaller 3 months ago, plus they never killed my fish,I'm just worried about the growth rate and where I'm going to put them.

So you've had this fish for 3 months and didn't think to find out any information on it in the interim?

What do you want lol ok I took the lfs owners word for it so what, not the end of the world... would've should've could've...didnt now I'm looking at what to do next since I already returned too many fish at my lfs and they never like that.

Back
Top Bottom