Black ghost fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a classifieds section on this board you can offer them for free/cost of shipping. I'd take them but the new apartment has a 100 gallon limit...

What do you want lol ok I took the lfs owners word for it so what, not the end of the world... would've should've could've...didnt now I'm looking at what to do next since I already returned too many fish at my lfs and they never like that.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is the same LFS that told you it was okay to overstock your tank with SA/CA cichlids? I'm noticing a trend here...

You should probably just rehome the fish. Give it back to them without any collateral, I'm sure they would appreciate that considering they've been taking advantage of you anyway. Hopefully, you've learned your lesson about this LFS for the second time.

Or you could purchase a 150 gallon tank for the fish, and you can refer to google to determine adequate tank mates for the ghost fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This shouldn't ever happen in this day and age in my opinion, especially since posting from app on your phone so it's clear you have access to the internet. Sure decades ago I made mistakes as this but with having the internet in the palm of your hand and to still go ahead and purchase a fish without a quick Google search seems pretty irresponsible to me.

If I stood in the lfs googling every fish I considered having I would be there all day!

I don't really care for them, just the wife likes them, second the lfs owner has a big head and will tell me that it's my fault, not I'm sorry I took advantage,businesses don't work like that nowadays.

If I stood in the lfs googling every fish I considered having I would be there all day!

Then don't buy it- take a picture, post them here, or write it down and look them up later. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm more than happy to rattle off what I know about any given list of fish and what their requirements are. But one of the cardinal rules of fishkeeping is to know what you're buying, at least roughly, before you buy it.

This sounds like a personal problem lol meaning this isn't the first time.

Caleb

You could say that, you know I was alot worse at fish keeping before jumping on aquarium advice and I assumed the info would become clear, but basically all I got was Google it dummy! Lol basically.

You could say that, you know I was alot worse at fish keeping before jumping on aquarium advice and I assumed the info would become clear, but basically all I got was Google it dummy! Lol basically.

I don't think the message was "google it, dummy" as much as, "why didn't you ask here/google/etc. before you bought the fish?"

Whatever, im done asking questions on here, I mean why not go to everyone that has a question about something and tell them to Google it all. What's the point of being on here anyway? Oh wait that was a question BRB I'll Google that too. Am I being a bit of a contridiction? An arse? Delusional? Inexperienced? I don't know maybe I'll Google it......:banghead:

I'm not going to plead anyone to stay that's your decision.

The point being made was: in the world we live in today we have tons of resources right at our fingertips, whether it be on google or on here, information is easily accessible that would avoid the situation you are in completely. A quick google search can give you a rough estimate on tank size for nearly any fish in just a few minutes. More complicated matters are why we have forums and discussion boards though simple things like suggested tank sizes are still viable questions.

Just consider using all that information you have access to next time you stumble upon a fish you like. It's quite simple concept.

Caleb

I'm not going to plead anyone to stay that's your decision.

The point being made was: in the world we live in today we have tons of resources right at our fingertips, whether it be on google or on here, information is easily accessible that would avoid the situation you are in completely. A quick google search can give you a rough estimate on tank size for nearly any fish in just a few minutes. More complicated matters are why we have forums and discussion boards though simple things like suggested tank sizes are still viable questions.

Just consider using all that information you have access to next time you stumble upon a fish you like. It's quite simple concept.

Caleb

Nicely said Caleb, 99% of the time if you google a fish the first thing to come up is the live aquaria page that gives you a great starter care sheet for that particular fish, including recommended tank size

Whatever, im done asking questions on here, I mean why not go to everyone that has a question about something and tell them to Google it all. What's the point of being on here anyway? Oh wait that was a question BRB I'll Google that too. Am I being a bit of a contridiction? An arse? Delusional? Inexperienced? I don't know maybe I'll Google it......:banghead:

Constructive criticism is very beneficial. That's what I've learned from being on AA. Don't be offended when advice is given. People on here are just trying to help you, and to help you learn and become a better aquarist. Yes, people can be rude at times, but it's not worth starting an argument. If you want to keep fish and not potentially ruin investments, I recommend doing research before buying any fish, plant, invertebrate, or type of equipment, etc. Keeping a fish tank is like maintaining a small ecosystem. It is a science that needs to be researched and carefully observed and maintained. Hopefully you are not offended by what I've said, but this is the best advice I can offer.

Child? Yes

I dont go out to offend. Im from England! Its just the way the English are. Speak to some of the planted tank guys. Ive upset a number of them at some stage.

Last edited:
Constructive criticism is very beneficial. That's what I've learned from being on AA. Don't be offended when advice is given. People on here are just trying to help you, and to help you learn and become a better aquarist. Yes, people can be rude at times, but it's not worth starting an argument. If you want to keep fish and not potentially ruin investments, I recommend doing research before buying any fish, plant, invertebrate, or type of equipment, etc. Keeping a fish tank is like maintaining a small ecosystem. It is a science that needs to be researched and carefully observed and maintained. Hopefully you are not offended by what I've said, but this is the best advice I can offer.

The same can be said about any pet, reptiles, birds, and amphibians require a great deal of care and research as well.

Caleb

Ok look, I use Google sometimes but I enjoy everyone's feed back from here especially. I made a mistake in buying a fish not suitable for my tank and a mistake by posting in a childish way. But I don't delete my posts and I'll own up to it, just wanted more info than what Google offers, thanks

I think what everyone's trying to say is when you're at a place about to buy a fish do a quick google search. If 15 different answers come up then post here and either wait or don't but the fish, go home see what feedback members have and then buy the fish if suitable. This forum is great but members don't always see threads or respond instantaneously. That's why googles there. I agree with hukit and would stop dealing with that store also.

I love how virtually every thread about black ghost knifes I have ever seen started has led to an argument of essentially the exact same friggin topic.

I love how virtually every thread about black ghost knifes I have ever seen started has led to an argument of essentially the exact same friggin topic.

Because 99% of the time the owner doesn't realize just how large they get :) takes a large tank and a big commitment.

Caleb

Because 99% of the time the owner doesn't realize just how large they get :) takes a large tank and a big commitment.

Caleb

Yeah but still just seems it doesn't require quite the beating so often seen....

Back
Top Bottom