Blue Ram Help/20 gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a cool stocking list! I'm just gonna go with what I have in the list right now, once I cycle the tank. Then maybe I can add some more. Do I have to get algae wafers for the Pleco?

Nils

Just giving you an idea bio-load wise of what I get away with...

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

How many would I be able to fit into a 20 long? I have decided on 8 Cories, 1-2 Plecos, 2x GBRs, and possibly some Harlequin Rasboras if there is any space left. Does that sound good?

This stock doesn't look bad as long as you keep it at 1 pleco. I have a trio of apistos, 2 otos, 10 dwarf pencilfish and a hypancistrus pleco in my 20 long. I'm sure I'm still in the green bioload wise, but I'm now doing 3 large WCs a week to be safe because of the pleco. As for what you'll need to feed your pleco depends on the genus/species, for example a bristlenose(ancistrus) will need algae wafers and veggies and a hypancistrus species will need meatier foods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have bloodworms on hand, so I can use those for the Rubber Lip. I went to PetCo yesterday in search of some good, cheap filters, and I found te Penguin 100. Is that a good one? Anybody have any experience with it?

Nils

No bloodworm for a rubberlip, just wafers and veggies.

That's not true. Rubberlip/Rubbernose
Are omnivores.
Per Planet Catfish
"FeedingOmnivore. Will eat algae and small live or frozen food. Some individuals can be weaned onto pellet food although this usually takes some effort and trial and error on the part of the aquarist."

Some Plecos require meat. Some require Wood. There are a ton of "Plecos".

I used Scientific NameChaetostoma formosae Ballen, 2011 for my example

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=318

Part of the issue is proper ID
Several fish are sold under the Rubber name. Ranging in size from 5-10"

Common names suck, you never know what you're actually buying.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not true. Rubberlip/Rubbernose
Are omnivores.
Per Planet Catfish
"FeedingOmnivore. Will eat algae and small live or frozen food. Some individuals can be weaned onto pellet food although this usually takes some effort and trial and error on the part of the aquarist."

Some Plecos require meat. Some require Wood. There are a ton of "Plecos".

I used Scientific NameChaetostoma formosae Ballen, 2011 for my example

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=318

Part of the issue is proper ID
Several fish are sold under the Rubber name. Ranging in size from 5-10"

Common names suck, you never know what you're actually buying.

Only a small percentage of their diet should be meaty which is obtained from uneaten foods fed to the other fish, chaetostoma may be listed as omnivores, but they lean further toward herbivore. That is what I was told by one of the top pleco breeders in the country. If you notice a whole lot of fish are classified as omnivores, quite a few sites even list killifish and large CA cichlids as omnivores. As far as plecos go, a good look at their dentition will tell what the main of their diet is and chaetostoma do have rasping teeth for scraping algae. So yes part of my info was off.

And IDing Plecos is Not easy ;)

Thank you for listing your source [emoji106]

That's why I try to stick to Planet Catfish as they are breeders as well.

I just wonder what species the OP actually has??

And IDing Plecos is Not easy

Tell me about it, I have a hypancistrus sp gurupa and a hypancistrus sp lower rio xingu, both come from the same area and look the same as do about 10 other plecos from the rio xingu, I can't tell any of them apart.

Lol alright, so I guess no to that :). I am looking into a nice big piece of driftwood over on the right side, and then maybe another piece balancing on it to create a small crossover hangout for the Pleco and the Cories. Man, I'm so excited for this tank build! Probably going to add a small layer on the bottom to help seed and plant the BB, then over top a fine layer of sand. Anybody have experience with anubias on driftwood from PetCo? They have some nice pieces. Is the Aquaclear really that great?

Nils

Deathco some ppl call it lol , you could try the classifieds on plants , I'm just getting into the planted side but I believe Brookster would help Ya more on that

Lol, yeah the only fish I've bought there are my Cories, they are actually really healthy. Only had one casualty, and that wasn't PetCo's fault. (**** you whirling disease!) I'll ask some questions later on once I have some!

Nils

I might hijack this stocking list too :)
My pal dropped me off a free 20 gal today and incidentally I bought a spare filter yesterday so I guess I need a new spare now. Empty tanks are coming in faster than I can throw away furniture to make space for them!
My LFS had some sweet gold rams last time I went in and I think I may attempt to walk into the world of cichlids via those guys. Gonna be a while though. Anyone ever use sponge filters with these guys?
Good luck to the OP! And Brookster your posts always make me laugh :)

I'm not super impressed with my aquaclear. I actually like my aqueon filter. As long as you throw away the filter cartridge and use real filter media. My aqueon never fails to start up, and can usually be used through my whole water change. My aquaclear on the other hand, doesn't work if the water is too low. Also, sometimes it won't start and I have to poke the impeller with a chopstick.

I'm not saying aquaclears are bad. They're great, especially for newbies, as it comes with actual media. I just think you'll be fine with any filter with the correct media.

I'm not super impressed with my aquaclear. I actually like my aqueon filter. As long as you throw away the filter cartridge and use real filter media. My aqueon never fails to start up, and can usually be used through my whole water change. My aquaclear on the other hand, doesn't work if the water is too low. Also, sometimes it won't start and I have to poke the impeller with a chopstick.

I'm not saying aquaclears are bad. They're great, especially for newbies, as it comes with actual media. I just think you'll be fine with any filter with the correct media.

I actually hear you on the aqueon filters, way better than people give them credit for and the largest size for $30 will push 400 gph. Aquaclear probably still has an edge but other filters seem to be catching up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom