Blue Ram Help/20 gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was also thinking of getting a bigger Aqueon filter, but hearing how they're carbons, I don't know. Should I get an Aqueon and just replace the filter media? Also, how do you rinse sand?

Nils

I ran aqueon, custom media, they were a pain to pack and bypass was a major problem.. substandard filters imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can buy just the media bags and put in what ever media you want or you can do a DIY media bag .. As for sand .. I normally grab a clean bucket that hasn't had anything nasty in it and fill it 1/4-1/2 way with sand then fill with water and stir it up , keep water going all the light sand and "trash" will over flow .. Dump water out and repeat .. Once you fill and stir and it's not that bad , dump water out take a cup or scooper , spread it out in tank . I always put a bout 2 inch of water in tank before adding sand ... That way I can spread it out easier ..

Ok my Cories will love the sand. Might eve change out the gravel for sand before I upgrade tanks. Hopefully gonna have enough money for the sand. Also, could I maybe keep some cherry shrimp in there or would the GBRs eat them?

Nils

Hey Nils
Play sand from Home Depot or pool filter sand only cost around $5-11 for 50lbs depending on where you go or what you get. It doesn't have to come from a pet store.

The rams will eat any they can fit in their mouths and probably harass the ones they can't. They do leave amanos alone though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I might do Amanos to clean algae and plants, but I'm not gonna spend $4 on shrimp that are going to be food anyway. Should I do a driftwood and planted themed tank, or driftwood and some lava rocks?

Nils

Broken record.... rams really need a heavily planted tank, amanos will basically die off in a new tank, they'll sustain themselves on bio film and algae.. I'd avoid lava rock all together. I've read of it doing some funky stuff in small tanks. You'll want sand, lots of dw and low light plants such as swords and crypts.

Broken record.... rams really need a heavily planted tank, amanos will basically die off in a new tank, they'll sustain themselves on bio film and algae.. I'd avoid lava rock all together. I've read of it doing some funky stuff in small tanks. You'll want sand, lots of dw and low light plants such as swords and crypts.

I agree with staying away from the lava rock, but amanos will do just fine on whatever the fish eat, mine even tackle blackworms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool guys, there is lots of driftwood available at my LFS so I'll take a look there to see what I like. I want to get some duckweed, and I was wondering if the myth about it growing like weeds is true. Also, should I just avoid Amanos all together or should I try it out after the tank has sat awhile? How should I arrange the driftwood?

Nils

99% of all fish for sale in the Aquarium trade are collected from the coral reef. IMO, there is no reason to maintain them at less than natural salinities. The average specific gravity of the coral reef, is 1.025 @82*F.

Check out this article on temps and salinities by Ron Shimek...
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

Oh boy. .. gillie...haha.. my lfs has it bad.. i get so pissed when they bag up a fish with a ton of herpes in the bag..

I grow water lettuce, awesome roots and not overwhelming in growth..

I love duckweed, looks awesome! Should I convert to an Aquaclear 50 now on my 10 gallon to seed it and then it will be ready for the 20?

Nils

Back
Top Bottom