Brookster's new new new dual sat+ build - bml pg. 78

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh. Not to hijack but my co2 comes on 15 minutes before lighting. My theory is that it takes plants a while to fully begin photosynthesis. Besides my H. polysperma crowns are still folded when the light comes on. So once they fully begin photosynthesis co2 is fully saturated.

Plus drop checker readings take a while to change. My drop checker stays yellow-green hours after the photoperiod, so just because the DC is green the co2 may not actually be at ~30ppm like it says.

But results don't lie. I'll change mine to come on 45 minutes earlier than the photoperiod to see if that improves anything.

Hijack away;) Ya ' ll say what's on your mind, it will all get us somewhere! Lot of tpt lurking says 1.5 hrs. Prior is the number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah thats probably right then. I'm going to change it to an hour before photoperiod and go from there. The tank is in my room and I don't want to go any earlier for fear of waking my self up with the solenoid click. :lol:

Yes conversation on here is generally productive.

Yeah thats probably right then. I'm going to change it to an hour before photoperiod and go from there. The tank is in my room and I don't want to go any earlier for fear of waking my self up with the solenoid click. :lol:

Yes conversation on here is generally productive.

It scares me 3 nights of the week when it clicks off, sounds like a glass panel cracking.. i jump up only to realize its the solenoid. Phfewwww

Huh. Not to hijack but my co2 comes on 15 minutes before lighting. My theory is that it takes plants a while to fully begin photosynthesis. Besides my H. polysperma crowns are still folded when the light comes on. So once they fully begin photosynthesis co2 is fully saturated.

Plus drop checker readings take a while to change. My drop checker stays yellow-green hours after the photoperiod, so just because the DC is green the co2 may not actually be at ~30ppm like it says.

But results don't lie. I'll change mine to come on 45 minutes earlier than the photoperiod to see if that improves anything.

Some of my plants will pearl within 10mins of lights on. I think plants start photosynthesising almost immediately

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Some of my plants will pearl within 10mins of lights on. I think plants start photosynthesising almost immediately

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hmmm. Didn't know that. I've observed on the weekend it takes ~1 hour for the hygrophila crowns to unfold. I guess they could begin photosynthesis immediately but just unfold slowly. It wouldn't be very productive for the plant but then again, it seems pretty pointless to fold up in the first place (but I'm sure there is a good reason, probably evolution).

But again, the proof is in the result pudding. I'll definitely rearrange the co2 timer then.

Im unsure of all the mechanics and science within a leaf but in nature some plants may not get a lot of light. Would seem silly for them to waste the opportunity because they wernt 'ready'

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to chime in but plants perform photosynthesis during the day when under light and then at night perform respiration. So basically they consume a lot of co2 during the day and then at night produce co2 (not very much though). It's a bit different to the way we respire, it transfers through stomata on the underside of leaves through osmosis and diffusion (tea bag effect).but yeah that's my 2cent. Yr11 biology coming in handy...haha

Sorry to chime in but plants perform photosynthesis during the day when under light and then at night perform respiration. So basically they consume a lot of co2 during the day and then at night produce co2 (not very much though). It's a bit different to the way we respire, it transfers through stomata on the underside of leaves through osmosis and diffusion (tea bag effect).but yeah that's my 2cent. Yr11 biology coming in handy...haha

Yeah we got that. Just wondering if it takes them a bit to 'start up' or if they just begin photosynthesis upon light presence.

I'm guessing the latter.

Yeah we got that. Just wondering if it takes them a bit to 'start up' or if they just begin photosynthesis upon light presence.

I'm guessing the latter.

I'm guessing under bright enough light (bml) they will start the process almost instantly. Have you ever watched those time lapse nature vids? Flowers will open up instantly in certain situations. Than in that movie with the flower that opened for the one full moon?!?! I've noticed my l repens grows about an inch over night, the new growth is tucked up and will open during the photo period.

I'm guessing under bright enough light (bml) they will start the process almost instantly. Have you ever watched those time lapse nature vids? Flowers will open up instantly in certain situations. Than in that movie with the flower that opened for the one full moon?!?! I've noticed my l repens grows about an inch over night, the new growth is tucked up and will open during the photo period.

Same about the L Repens. Mine is touching the surface right now, interesting to see where it'll be tomorrow morning.

Same about the L Repens. Mine is touching the surface right now, interesting to see where it'll be tomorrow morning.

I cut it.. it had 5 new shoots below so I figured I'd give them the benefit, the amount of bubbles that escaped the stem was cool though.

L. repens basically doubles itself every two weeks in my tank.

Re: algae, it's an intense battle for anyone with decent lighting. Unbalanced ferts, too much of one fert, too much co2, not enough co2, too much light for the ferts and co2 used, can all cause algae growth. What plants you have and their specific nutrient uptake.

If you remove one nutrient from your fert regime, like remove phosphates, algae can't grow. But neither will your plants, and the algae will subsist on slow growing plants.

I leave the blanket of algae on my back wall and my driftwood. It's a pain in the neck, but I am constantly spot treating and scrubbing leaves with a tooth brush.

All my tank's stats are ideal, and my light cycle is good, too. I've relented to reducing my quantity of light. Removed two CFL bulbs, and am running my BML at 50%. Everything is still growing amazingly fast, my AR is still blood red, and my BBA went away, but I've got green fur algae now.

I increase one thing, it improves one thing, makes one thing worse. Without elbow grease, my tank would be a mess. Nothing is going to completely remove algae unless I nuke my inverts on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

L. repens basically doubles itself every two weeks in my tank.

Re: algae, it's an intense battle for anyone with decent lighting. Unbalanced ferts, too much of one fert, too much co2, not enough co2, too much light for the ferts and co2 used, can all cause algae growth. What plants you have and their specific nutrient uptake.

If you remove one nutrient from your fert regime, like remove phosphates, algae can't grow. But neither will your plants, and the algae will subsist on slow growing plants.

I leave the blanket of algae on my back wall and my driftwood. It's a pain in the neck, but I am constantly spot treating and scrubbing leaves with a tooth brush.

All my tank's stats are ideal, and my light cycle is good, too. I've relented to reducing my quantity of light. Removed two CFL bulbs, and am running my BML at 50%. Everything is still growing amazingly fast, my AR is still blood red, and my BBA went away, but I've got green fur algae now.

I increase one thing, it improves one thing, makes one thing worse. Without elbow grease, my tank would be a mess. Nothing is going to completely remove algae unless I nuke my inverts on a regular basis.

Well gosh! Seems like everyone is having an algae problem! A BML is certainly going to give you some algae, even at 50%, so excess lighting could be it. I don't know. It's just so weird, like everybody has some or tons of algae except the pros (Brian, Janis, OS, etc., etc.).

Guarantee they have algae too. The only thing that really stops algae is more plants. The bigger my plants get, the fuller my tank, the less algae I have.

We should have a sub section called Algae Anonymous. Every thread starts with.... Hi my name is (insert name here) and I have an algae problem.

I posted this either on OS' thread or mine some time ago. Seem appropriate:
0i3RjuR.jpg
He got a kick out of it.

Schoeplein interesting to read you only run your bml at 50%. I run my xb at 100% for a combined 7 1/2 hours

Back
Top Bottom