Bubbles in silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone.

Just got a 40 gal breeder that has been giving me nightmares. It bows about a 1/4" and it has these bubbles in the seams that are freaking me out. I am already looking into getting an acrylic aquarium since they seem to be stronger and more flexible. Here are some pictures of the bubbles and the bowing. Just want to know if these bubbles are okay?

image-2772489100.jpg

image-4192714431.jpg

i can't really see any bowing in the second picture? the black plastic lip on the tank looks 99% pefectly straight.

where exactly is the tank bowing?

In the middle. I measured it with a measuring tape and its measuring at a 1/4" bow. Maybe I am just paranoid because this is the largest tank I have had set up.

thats interesting... to me in the pic it looks perfectly fine. but then again i'm not there to actually see it. do you see the bow in the glass or just the black plastic?

kinda makes me wonder why they stopped making these tanks with center braces... my 55 has a brace and i'm getting a 125 for christmas but i've yet to find out if it has a brace(or two) built in.

thats interesting... to me in the pic it looks perfectly fine. but then again i'm not there to actually see it. do you see the bow in the glass or just the black plastic?

It's hard to see if its bowing in the glass. So it's possible it may be in just the plastic. I am not sure. The bubbles in the seams though are kinda making me worry as well

kinda makes me wonder why they stopped making these tanks with center braces... my 55 has a brace and i'm getting a 125 for christmas but i've yet to find out if it has a brace(or two) built in.

No idea. There was a 38 gallon last night that had a center brace and a 55 gallon with a center brace both made by aqueon. The tank is so wide I would think they would keep it but I'm no expert on tank making.

Plastic can warp from excessive heat... I would look closely at the glass to see if the glass is actually bowing. If the glass isn't bowing you should be fine but keep on eye on that plastic just to be safe

Plastic can warp from excessive heat... I would look closely at the glass to see if the glass is actually bowing. If the glass isn't bowing you should be fine but keep on eye on that plastic just to be safe

Will do. I had a friend come over today and look at it and he said he didn't see a now and that it was just the plastic part not to worry. But I would rather keep an eye on it and be safe until I can replace it.

Back
Top Bottom