Building a Dream: Suomibetta's Dream 120 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuomiBetta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I'm in the process of saving money for my dream aquarium: a 120 gallon freshwater. I am a molecular biology student and rather busy but I am steadily doing research but I would be appreciative of AA's experienced aquarist's adivce. Now about the tank : obviously it'll be 120 gallons, but I'm not sure if I should go long or tall.
I will be centering the tank around the Red-Tailed Shark. (I'm aware they're aggressive and will be taking precautions!)
Substrate wise I'm torn between sand and gravel but I'm going for a stark white for a more surreal feeling and to make the fish visible (so no white fish...I panic if i can't see my fish clearly!)
As for everything else I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance! P.S: you guys can call me Morgan if my screen name is a bit of a tounge twister hehe.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My only thought would be long vs. tall. Simple reason is it's harder to get to the bottom of a taller tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

My only thought would be long vs. tall. Simple reason is it's harder to get to the bottom of a taller tank.

That's a good point. It doesn't help that I'm more or less a Hobbit in stature.

I would have a center island bit with over grown plants but only in the centre with rocks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would have a center island bit with over grown plants but only in the centre with rocks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the sound of that...but are there hardy varieties of aquatic plant life? I'm such a terrible plant keeper that I should probably be arrested. And what are some lighting options for a long and lidded tank?

That's a good point. It doesn't help that I'm more or less a Hobbit in stature.

Lol at the hobbit. Personally, I'm a Discus guy. That or some veil tail angels. Nice long flowing lines. Discus you could go with 12 max on on the angels I'd keep it around 8 for their own safety, with a couple groups of schooling fish. You'd need to keep a good eye on the angels as they mature will get pretty territorial.

Lol at the hobbit. Personally, I'm a Discus guy. That or some veil tail angels. Nice long flowing lines. Discus you could go with 12 max on on the angels I'd keep it around 8 for their own safety, with a couple groups of schooling fish. You'd need to keep a good eye on the angels as they mature will get pretty territorial.

Hmmm....if I can find some brightly colored varieties it'll be a good idea. I just hope those flowy fins don't encourage fin - nipping from the Shark.

I vote for long. And sometimes white substrate could be prone to algea, that's why we went with black. Well they only had that and navy, and they only had big bags of black. So.

Good luck! :D I would love to have a big tank but we probably never will, seems overwhelming! You never know, though.... :)

I vote for long. And sometimes white substrate could be prone to algea, that's why we went with black. Well they only had that and navy, and they only had big bags of black. So.

Good luck! :D I would love to have a big tank but we probably never will, seems overwhelming! You never know, though.... :)

Actually, big tanks are easier once you know what you're doing. As for the algae I'll definitely have a clean up crew- but again I'm not sure if I should have a big group of Otocinclus, some Cories or a Pleco. I just have to be mindful of that Red-Tailed Shark. I don't want him eating the clean up crew!! Thanks for wishing me luck...I'm going to need it!!

Any substrate is prone to algae. As well as glass, decorations, etc. Its all based on the exposure time of lighting and direct sunlight the tank is exposed to.

Any substrate is prone to algae. As well as glass, decorations, etc. Its all based on the exposure time of lighting and direct sunlight the tank is exposed to.

I'm trying to figure out some lighting configurations for a long tank that also has a tight lid (I have a very curious kitty who has an almost abnormal fascination with water...especially moving water!) I'd like to try again with live plants since they're so useful but I have a black thumb :hide:

Update time! The search has begun! For now this is just a digital build just to get an idea of budgeting but I'll provide links and I'd be delighted for opinions (good or bad, it's my first big tank and I want it right from the start!)

Tank: ="http://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Ma...1750464&sr=1-4&keywords=120+gallon+aquarium"]

Stand: ="http://www.amazon.com/Enterprises...8&sr=1-3&keywords=120+gallon+aquarium+stand"]

That's it for now. Later on I'll go sniffing around for lights! Any plant suggestions would be extremely welcome. Also...sand or gravel? Thanks everyone! You've been great so far :D

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out some lighting configurations for a long tank that also has a tight lid (I have a very curious kitty who has an almost abnormal fascination with water...especially moving water!) I'd like to try again with live plants since they're so useful but I have a black thumb :hide:

As far as lighting, I really can't help ya there. On the other side, I know the feeling about curious kitties, lol. One of my GSD's "found" four kittens where I ran my business from. We kept 3 of the 4 and the one that "picked" me eventually got named Havoc. Of the many destructive things he was capable of, one just happened to be chewing the air line that runs to the gang valve. One of the females we kept from the litter would sit on top of my Red Devil tank. Purely antagonistic IMO. The other female is a longer story. Her name is Miracle, for quite a few reasons and for some reason, she always wound up IN the tank during WC's. Couldn't close the door completely with the python system and having to be in and out monitoring temp and fill rate, etc, she ALWAYS got in the fish room. And the tank !!!

As far as lighting, I really can't help ya there. On the other side, I know the feeling about curious kitties, lol. One of my GSD's "found" four kittens where I ran my business from. We kept 3 of the 4 and the one that "picked" me eventually got named Havoc. Of the many destructive things he was capable of, one just happened to be chewing the air line that runs to the gang valve. One of the females we kept from the litter would sit on top of my Red Devil tank. Purely antagonistic IMO. The other female is a longer story. Her name is Miracle, for quite a few reasons and for some reason, she always wound up IN the tank during WC's. Couldn't close the door completely with the python system and having to be in and out monitoring temp and fill rate, etc, she ALWAYS got in the fish room. And the tank !!!

Lord lol. Naughty kitties. How about grouchy fin - nipping?

I was given a RTS ~7years old and loved to patrol the tank and shoo and a few other fish she lived with Siamese Algae Eaters and a Opaline Gourami all around the same age so maybe they were mellowed in their old age, they lived with Angel fish and Cardinals. The shark pretty much stayed in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank.

I wonder if your RTS might not be comfortable with white substrate. Maybe natural sand if you don't want to go with something like Eco-Complete.

They like dark caves and hiding places behind and under DW. I always made sure that the lower perimeter of the tank was open at least the size for the shark to cruise around. Also I made sure that there was a figure 8 race track on the lower part of the tank so she could be on patrol or pull over and rest. By that I mean a cruising area open for the RTS in that kind of shape. Lots of plants and cover! Happy tank and fish finding.

I was given a RTS ~7years old and loved to patrol the tank and shoo and a few other fish she lived with Siamese Algae Eaters and a Opaline Gourami all around the same age so maybe they were mellowed in their old age, they lived with Angel fish and Cardinals. The shark pretty much stayed in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank.

I wonder if your RTS might not be comfortable with white substrate. Maybe natural sand if you don't want to go with something like Eco-Complete.

They like dark caves and hiding places behind and under DW. I always made sure that the lower perimeter of the tank was open at least the size for the shark to cruise around. Also I made sure that there was a figure 8 race track on the lower part of the tank so she could be on patrol or pull over and rest. By that I mean a cruising area open for the RTS in that kind of shape. Lots of plants and cover! Happy tank and fish finding.

Well this is all hypothetical but maybe there's light colored natural sand so that I can see my fish clearly. I admit I'm an over anxious fish mom.

More updates!

I posted a link to the tank and stand I want to use. I've also decided that I'm going to use sand as a substrate but please bear with me because questions (and a preliminary stocking!):

White sand vs Pale natural sand: Autumnsky pointed out that RTS might not be happy on a stark white sand. Does anyone else agree/disagree? I only picked stark white so that I could clearly see my fish at all levels, but I don't want the lord of the tank unhappy and frightened!

Cleaning sand: I already have a Python gravel vac for my 5 gallon that I love and will be getting one for this tank. I've seen on other threads that caution needs to be exercised when vacuuming sand. What do I need to know? Also, how well does sand hold plants and decorations in place?

Preliminary stocking: 1 Red-Tailed Shark, 6 Platys (Red Wag, Blue Wag, 24 Carat Tuxedo, Sunburst, Green Lantern, Mickey Mouse), 6 Zebra Danios (wild type, no flowy fins or hi-fin varieties), 6 Tiger Barbs and 7 Cory cats (not sure what variety just yet and again...don't want them bullied by the shark!)

Okay, sorry for all the questions. I am looking things up but I would like opinions/past experiences to go along with my research. I'm having a hard time finding the right amount of filtration does anyone know of a good filtration set up for a 48"x 10.5"x 11" tank? Any heating recommendations would also be deeply appreciated. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom