Can anyone help with this?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help is this a male or female?

What has me confused is the frayed extensions on the anal fin, hopefully you can see in the pic. The dorsal fin is round not pointed but quite long if it's female ?? Lfs have no idea, getting different answers from everyone.

image-3037117311.jpg

image-4235496662.jpg

Definitely a male. You can tell because it's Anal fin has extensions or "frays"growing out. That's the easiest and most reliable way to sex pearl gouramis, most of the time.

Would you say so even with no fin extensions on the dorsal?

It has also not shown any male coloring yet.. When should I expect it to show?

Would you say so even with no fin extensions on the dorsal? It has also not shown any male coloring yet.. When should I expect it to show?
Yes, and generally male pearls don't show their amazing color until they get nice and settled in and fed good foods. Also it does look like there are extensions growing out of the dorsal fin, if you look very very close it looks like there are very small extensions just beginning to grow out.

Thanks for your quick response :).... I have had it since May... Lol, it's fed new life spectrum , mysis, brine, blood worms and daphnia?...

Thanks for your quick response :).... I have had it since May... Lol, it's fed new life spectrum , mysis, brine, blood worms and daphnia?...
sounds like a good diet but don't feed the blood worms often if ever In my opinion. They have a very hard shell that is extremely hard to digest other wise sounds like a good diet.

Oh ok thanks, I didn't know that.... Guess time will tell right? Just thought at almost 4 inches it would be distinguishable .. Lol

Definitely female. Even the girls get a little bit of the fringe action on the fins. The rounded fin, egg heavy stomach, and total lack of any hint of red when it's 4" already all point to female.

We'll all I figured I would update it's been a few days... the extensions have grown much longer on the dorsal fin and anal fin..it is now showing good orange Color in its throat ... I am positive he is male, think just a late bloomer, lol... Thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom