Can someone help me get a straight answer?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm still in the cycling phase and I've been using my time to research what kind of fish I want to get. The only thing I can't seem to get a straight answer to is which fish are straight freshwater compatible (which is what I'm looking for) and which fish are brackish. I've googled it to no avail and my LPS's have been no help. Here's a list that I've come up with as far which fish I would like to consider. Can anyone tell me what's what?? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

• platies
  • angelfish
  • barbs
  • danios
  • pleco
  • gouramis
  • loach
  • mollies
  • rainbows
  • rasbara
  • swordtails
  • snails

What species of loach? What species of pleco? What species of barbs?
Looking at your list platies, mollies, swordtails(not 100%), snails, and danios should work. You might be able to get an angel pair or single angel and/or 2 gourami. I am not familiar with the rarbara's so I can't help there.

Have you checked AquaAdvisor?

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of those fish are good for freshwater. Mollies also are ok in brackish water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

barbs- Tiger, gold, or maybe tinfoil
loach- i like the zebra, horseface, and clown
Plecos I'm debating because I know most of them get pretty large. If i can find a type that will stay small than i'll get that one. Otherwise I'm really just looking for a bottom swimmer that will help with scavanging the bottom so if you have any suggestions for what could play that role in my tank that would be awesome!! And if you have suggestions with the others I'm all ears! I'm a rookie at this so I really appreciate the help!

All of them are fresh water fish.

Use this link to plug in tank stock to figure out numbers
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

• platies - Good beginner fish. Keep stocked in a 1m to 2f ratio. They are livebearers so will make lots of babies.
  • angelfish - A little harder to care for. I would stock these after you get the handle on keeping water parameters in check.
  • barbs - Aggressive nippy fish I would avoid these.
  • danios - Kind of crazy. A highly active fish that can be aggressive to tank mates if not stocked properly. 6 minimum.
  • pleco - Bristlenose plecos only hit 4 - 5 inches. They work great for any tank at least 30g
  • gouramis - Only stock a single gourami at a time as they are very aggressive towards each other. I would go with either a Powder blue dwarf or a blue gourami.
  • loach - There are TONS of different loaches all with different needs. You will have to be a little more specific.
  • mollies - These get fairly large. Not personally one of my fav fish, but stock them 1m to 2f. These are also live bearers.
  • rainbows - These are a great fish. I wouldn't put them in less than a 4ft long tank. Stock even numbers of males to females.
  • rasbora - Harlequin rasbora are fantastic beginner fish. 10g minimum and should be stocked in groups of 6 or more. I have had the same school of mine for 2 years now.
  • swordtails - Stock them 1m to 2f. These tend to jump a lot so you need a lid.
  • snails - Go crazy with them. Nerites are my favs and they don't breed in fresh water.
[/QUOTE]

Others:
Cory cats - Good bottom feeders. Stock in a group of at least 6
Tetras - Just about any kind that you like will work. stock them in groups of 6+

Tinfoil barbs and clown loaches both will get too big for a 55g

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Otocinclous is a good algae eater for your tank!! I would stay away from plecos, they poop a lot.

Check out rummynose tetras. They are awesome and fun.

Kuhli loach is the one you should choose. They are so much fun but please a group of 5+

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Thanks for the help so far! With the kuhli loach, are they escape artists?? I only have the typical tank hood that opens so I don't wanna come out to them crawling around my floor lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No way, you won't need to worry about that. Kuhlis prefer the bottom of the tank. :)

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Mollies are perfectly fine in freshwater but actually are fine in brackish and sometimes full saltwater if they adapt well enough.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the help so far! With the kuhli loach, are they escape artists?? I only have the typical tank hood that opens so I don't wanna come out to them crawling around my floor lol

I have 2 in my 10 gal QT tank and so far they haven't escaped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually do like the pictus. And looking into the kuhli, I'm really liking those too. Thank you all for the help! I will obviously accept any additional Input anyone has but this has been awesome! Greatly appreciated!

Be careful with pictus. They are awesome fish I have one but they will eat small fish under 2 inches once they are full grown. One of those that will eat anything it can fit in its mouth.

EDIT: also make sure not to touch the pictus with your bare hands. They have "toxins" as a natural defense system that will make your hand or fingers swell up. Don't touch him and you are fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
The dojo is awesome! And thanks for that tip coolguy! Definitely good to know

I used AqAdvisor as suggested. What I have so far is 3 Dalmatian mollies, some type of tetras, 1 blue gourami, 5 kuhli loaches, and some nerite snails. I'm pretty close to full stock with this already but I'd really like to find a couple top swimmers to even everything out. Any suggestions? Also, I really like the dojo loach but I know they're gonna eat the snails. If I go with a reproducing snail will it work out with getting dojo loachs as well??

It's like a bee sting. No pain just some itching and it will go away.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom