Can't get rid of ammonia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal with 6 zebra danio and 6 glolight tetras which I started on 2/27/13.
My problem is every time I test the parameters I get 5 nitrate, 0 nitrites, 0.5-1.0 ammonia.
I have been doing every other day water changes of 5-10 gallons.
Should I do a very large water change?
The fish seem ok and are eating fine I am just concerned over the ever-present ammonia level.

I thought it was cycled when I added initially 3 zebras, then 1 wk later 3 more then about a week later the 6 tetras.
I may have added too many too quickly, it's my first tank I guess I am impatient.

So do y'all think I should do a large water change or series of changes, say 75% instead of doing a lot of smaller changes 25%)? I only have 5 ppm of nitrate so I guess I was afraid to lose the little BB that I have.

I have a similar problem, I have a 10 gallon freshwater (divided w/ 3 bettas) and after 7 months, I still get 0.5 ppm ammonia every time I test. I've tested the water coming out of the tap and the reading on that is 0.5 ppm ammonia. But I talked to some people and they said it may be because it's still not "completely cycled" and may take a few more months before anything happens...
I would suggest testing the water coming from the tap. I'm not really an expert on cycling tanks but that's what I would suggest...that way you know what the water is when it's going into your tank. Also, I took some advice of a friend and have been double-dosing with Prime after each water change...it's so frustrating when you can see the levels but don't really know what to do!
I hope this helped a little...but I'm sure someone more experienced can help you more than I can!!

I tested my tap water - I have a well, and there is no ammonia in it.

I did not get Prime yet my LFS doesn't carry it, I have been using a Nutrafin product.

When you cycled your tank, you did a fish LESS cycle adding an ammonia source? When you thought it was cycled, you were getting consistent readings of 0 ammo/nitrites & <20 nitrates? It can take 8 wks, give or take, to completely cycle a tank so if you started the tank on 02/27 you're barely at the 6 wk mark. In any case, I would do a 50% (+) daily water change because if the ammonia is at 1 it should drop to .5 & if its at .5 it should drop it to .25.

Hmm well like I said I'm not an expert on cycling tanks (I ended up throwing a betta and some cory cats in my 10 when I first started, not knowing anything about cycling).
I did a bit of research just now and it's common for nitrates to take a bit to come down because of the wait for the bacteria to develop (the ones that break it down)...
Maybe try keeping the % during a water change low, so you don't get rid of the BB you have?
I've also heard that (if possible) get a bit of old media from another, established fish tank and that way it'll introduce more BB into your new tank...not sure how good of a method that is but I did it when I had to change a filter cartridge and I didn't have any problems with spiking levels.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hmm well like I said I'm not an expert on cycling tanks (I ended up throwing a betta and some cory cats in my 10 when I first started, not knowing anything about cycling).
I did a bit of research just now and it's common for nitrates to take a bit to come down because of the wait for the bacteria to develop (the ones that break it down)...
Maybe try keeping the % during a water change low, so you don't get rid of the BB you have?
I've also heard that (if possible) get a bit of old media from another, established fish tank and that way it'll introduce more BB into your new tank...not sure how good of a method that is but I did it when I had to change a filter cartridge and I didn't have any problems with spiking levels.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

You don't want to do smaller water changes because there are fish in the tank & you need to keep the ammonia & nitrites as low as possible for the health & safety of the fish. The water column has some BB but the bulk of the BB is on the substrate, decorations, plants & in the filter media.

I did a fishless cycle but my nitrates never reached 20, that is probably where I made the error!

I did a fishless cycle but my nitrates never reached 20, that is probably where I made the error!

Not necessarily, I've had tanks spike extremely high with nitrates & others barely register. Did you ever see nitrItes? It is possible this is a mini cycle because of the added bio load & won't last long. Unfortunately all you can do is what you're already doing, keep testing & doing appropriate water changes.

No I have not seen nitrites with any of my tests

Back
Top Bottom