Cardinal tetras - dangerous water parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I added some cardinal tetras today and did a basic water parameter check of ammonia and nitrite.

Btw, the tank should at LEAST be partially cycled (i hope) seeding it from an established tank.

Anyways, the ammonia I found at 0.4 and nitrite at 0.1. Should I be concerned and do some instant PWC? Or should regular PWC be ok as long as they stay close or below that level? Thanks.

Here is what little input i can give you is keep an close eye on it and do a PW every two days for a few day, but if it spikes then do one every day for at least 4 to 5 days. Maybe some one else can give you better advice or input but this is what i would do :|

Do you have any other fish in the tank to continue the cycling process? Yes, those levels are high and you should do a pwc today, and test again tomorrow. If necessary, do another water change tomorrow.

I would do these water changes for the sake of the other fish in the tank. The levels of ammonia and nitrite are not sky-high, but they will stress fish over a period of time, and you do need to do daily testing and water changes if necessary. I started a tank at the beginning of January, and I did daily water changes for 3 weeks, so I know it can get a little tiring! Just hang in there! I also seeded from an established tank after three weeks. It did not give me an "instant cycle" -- I still had to wait a week after using the "sponge scrunge" to see a zero ammonia level, so you'll still need to watch your water parameters.

I don't think the cardinals will do well with that level at all, though. Watch them very closely, and if they begin to get stressed, if they aren't already, I would take them back to the store, or maybe give them to the person you got the seed material from, until the tank is fully cycled.

That's all the fish I have in the aquarium.

Actually, sorry, should be a false alarm. I was using a test kit from one of those "large collection" of test kits in one. When I was using my more accurate ammonia test, it had a reading of zero. Nitrite should be 0-0.1.

Though I am a bit concerned about them appearing to like the "corners" of my tank (ie where they hang around), esp at the bak where my sponge n bubble curtain is. But I am happy that they seem to be schooling together now :)

Also, when I feed them, they seem to wait for the flakes to fall down. Is that normal? Do they generally surface feed or wait for the food to sink down?

Back
Top Bottom