Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baby steps, baby steps lol. I'm still new to the whole sump thing and getting more confident every day so I will try some cool plumbing on this build. I may go complete pvc even. Was at the store scoping out the tank and overflow setup today, still planning it in my mind. :)

Yay! Mailman delivered the sand today. he DID NOT look happy about the boxes either. LOL

I think the only thing I need now are the tank and the stand. :-D

Kool can't wait for it to start coming together. The ups,FedEx,mailman never look happy bringing packages lol especially the heavy ones.

It's now time to go over my equipment list and see what I am missing or need.

I think I am waiting on the tank & stand and half the sump. lol Otherwise I think i may be ready. If I can't get the vortech powerhead at the end of the month I may use some koralias for the time being.

I'm now second guessing my return pump though. It's a mag 7. I won't be running anything off the line but I will have head loss to account for. So I'm figuring I'll be at like 500gph which isnt really alot. Should I order a mag 9.5 does anyone think? I already have the 7 and wasn't planning on changing it but now I'm thinking about it more and I am unsure.

I think I am pretty set on the skimmer too. I am probably gonna go for another eshopps psk150. I was gonna steal the one from the 125g but then that would mean I'd have to redo that whole sump to fit another larger skimmer in. Too much hassle.

And about the vortech. Since I am only going to be using one and have no intention of getting the radion light fixture can I just get the MP10es and skip the wireless? My lfs said I could and the non wireless one is like $60 less.
I've been up all night so I am just typing what comes to mind. LOL
NEXT: Stocking List I think I have it done kinda :-D

I'm not an expert in return pumps but I'm using a 9.5 in my 180 gallon. Just going by that i would think the 9.5 is too much and the 7 would be good.IMO I think it's odd that you would have the same pump when my tank is 3x bigger .

I think I am waiting on the tank & stand and half the sump. lol Otherwise I think i may be ready. If I can't get the vortech powerhead at the end of the month I may use some koralias for the time being.

I'm now second guessing my return pump though. It's a mag 7. I won't be running anything off the line but I will have head loss to account for. So I'm figuring I'll be at like 500gph which isnt really alot. Should I order a mag 9.5 does anyone think? I already have the 7 and wasn't planning on changing it but now I'm thinking about it more and I am unsure.

I think I am pretty set on the skimmer too. I am probably gonna go for another eshopps psk150. I was gonna steal the one from the 125g but then that would mean I'd have to redo that whole sump to fit another larger skimmer in. Too much hassle.

And about the vortech. Since I am only going to be using one and have no intention of getting the radion light fixture can I just get the MP10es and skip the wireless? My lfs said I could and the non wireless one is like $60 less.
Cool, I can't wait to see the finalized stock. :) (You know that I can't help as far a eqip. goes, lol)

I'm thinking i may have to get a mag9.5. the predrilled hole is 3/4 of an inch. How would I plumb it then? I'm confused....

You can get adapters for the pipes to Change the size . I have half inch pipe from my 9.5 . I didn't realize you have predrilled return holes.

my personal opinion, use a mag5. you don't need a huge turn over rating and i personally would redo the 125s sump to fit a larger skimmer, a skimmer rated at 125 is to small for a 125gallon . i would get something that is rated at atleast 200 gph, maybe something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bubble-Magus...667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2abed23
and put the eshopps in the 60
ask mr x what he thinks of his magus, he kept it over his octo

Last edited:
I'm most likely going to buy a new skimmer this year anyways for the 125$ and I will be getting the magus 180ex i believe it is, theone X has.

The little eshopps is plugging away though, it pulls an incredible amount of gunk out of my water every day.

I can't get another sump or fit a 40b under the 125g so I have to work with the refugium I have. It's the eshopps R200. I will have to empty the refugium which is sure to be a joy and set everything up so that it all fits. I am also planning on a biopellet reactor very soon for the 125g so I have to fit that, a gfo reactor maybe, and the skimmer all in that middle compartment.

So I figured I'd make my preliminary stock list. 99% gobies and blennies. This should be a fun tank. :-D

The 29g biocube and the 20g rimless are going into this new 60g tank .

Here are the fish I have already:
Citron Goby
yellow watchman
firefish
yellow clown goby
green clown goby
neon goby
Scooter dragonet
Blue mandarin dragonet
Lawnmower Blenny
Barnacle blenny

ALSO have a pair of B&W clowns already but am hesitant to add them into the 90. lol I have no idea where to put them.

here are the all the gobies and blennies I have to choose from. I only did a cursory look at each one and will figure out if they can all live together. So here goes!
GOBIES
Black Clown Goby
Panda Clown Goby
Greenbanded goby
Red Head Goby
Hi fin Red Banded
Court jester goby
Wheeler's shrimp goby
Blenny's
tailspot
Canary blenny
Black sailfin blenny
Harptail blenny
Bi-color Blenny

If I were to get them all that would be 24 fish I believe, give or take 2.

Cleanup crew I know what I want and already have a few from the cube and the 20g.

5 Peppermint shrimp (have already)
3 Cleaner Shrimp (have one already)
2 Porcelain Crabs (have one already but want another.
1 Fire shrimp unless I can get a mated pair.
10-15 nassarius snails (have already)
1 turbo snail (have already)
10 Hermits ( have already)
10-15 Florida ceriths

So thats my list, really long post, sorry guys LOL

What do you all think?

Sounds absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to see this tank!!

You might want to skip on the Panda Clown Goby unless you are in for the challenge :-D. LA has them labeled as "difficult" so that kinda scares me, lol.

I can't really help with compatability stuff, but I'll tell you, I am super excited for this tank. I think a blenny - goby tank, if possible would be fantastic. I really lobe my blenny and goby and so a whole tank would be great!

I feel the same way, I just want to have them all lol. So cute with great personality.

I have researched a bit and tweaked the list. I don't want to buy any fish bigger than 2 inches. i already have fish from the cube and the 20g that are much bigger than 2 inches so to balance it out I figure I'll stick to really small fish. :)

You all know what i have in my 29g cube and the 20g, these are the fish I want to buy

Black Clown Goby
Greenbanded Goby
Red head goby
Hi Fin red banded goby
Court jester goby
wheelers shrimp goby
tailspot blenny
Barred convict goby

So just gonna add 8 more fish pretty much. So now that I have a list let's see if I stick to it. LOL

I was thinking of having one large fish too, just a thought, not sure even what i would want. Anyone have any suggestions? I was even thinking a couple blue/green chromis. :) I really like my blue reef chromis I have in my 125g.
This tank build was supposed to be all coral and now it seems like its all fish. lol
Being that all the fish are like 2 inches or less do you think they will get lost in a 60g tank? I want to be able to see little fishies just swimming amongst my corals.:-D

carey said:

How about a naso tang lol jk How about a pair of Picasso clowns?

I feel the same way, I just want to have them all lol. So cute with great personality.

I have researched a bit and tweaked the list. I don't want to buy any fish bigger than 2 inches. i already have fish from the cube and the 20g that are much bigger than 2 inches so to balance it out I figure I'll stick to really small fish. :)

You all know what i have in my 29g cube and the 20g, these are the fish I want to buy

Black Clown Goby
Greenbanded Goby
Red head goby
Hi Fin red banded goby
Court jester goby
wheelers shrimp goby
tailspot blenny
Barred convict goby

So just gonna add 8 more fish pretty much. So now that I have a list let's see if I stick to it. LOL

I was thinking of having one large fish too, just a thought, not sure even what i would want. Anyone have any suggestions? I was even thinking a couple blue/green chromis. :) I really like my blue reef chromis I have in my 125g.
This tank build was supposed to be all coral and now it seems like its all fish. lol
Being that all the fish are like 2 inches or less do you think they will get lost in a 60g tank? I want to be able to see little fishies just swimming amongst my corals.:-D

I think since you will have around 24 little fishies swimming around your tank, you will at least always be able to see a few darting about. :) I wouldn't worry about them getting lost or not being able to see any that much. :)

I think this whole idea of a micro fish tank is really awesome----maybe for my next build :whistle:, lol.

Back
Top Bottom