Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I went and looked at the $270 stand again yesterday. ODes it matter if the stand has a top? they have a cheaper one thats not as tall and just hold the tank on an open frame. the taller one I want has a flat top surface. I was told I'd have to drill out a hole for the drilled hole area. BUT is there any difference in having that extra support or not?

I'm really stuck still, I just need the stand. I was thinking on having one custom built but I'd like to know the answer about the top piece before I call the carpenter guy. Also, is it advisable to have a side door on the stand? It seems like a nifty idea but is it of any use?

thanks as always guys. getting closer I can FEEL it!

I mean the top of the cabinet isnt open. Not the canopy thing. You cant even tell when the tank is set on it. Just wondering if its enough support for the tank. :)

I was thinking the side door would allow me to put in jugs or buckets for an ATO system, well, when I get to that stage. LOL

Any thoughts on the stand having a plywood top or open frame?

Don't think it matters. My 210 has a top to the stand but all the weight it all on the frame anyway. So would think without would be best. Then u don't have to drill

Yeah, not looking forward to drilling. lol The only sell point on the one with the top is that it is taller on the inside and my skimmer will fit in better. It's $80 less just to get the shorter and not covered stand. But I do want a stand I won't grow out of too quickly. hehe don't wanna have to do a move job.

i also have the option of getting a prcie from a carpenter locally who does stands. Just wanna know what is the best option before calling him and getting a quote. It may even come out a bit cheaper with the carpenter, his strating price for a stand is $143. He adds $25 for a floor( which I want) and $25 for a top piece. Also charges for fancy doors but I don't need those. lol Plus it would be unfinished I believe so no idea how much to get one in black. And I'm a really bad painter. I mean really bad. hehe i can barely paint the background glass competently.

Id go topless. .. soo much easier in terms of the pipework for the overflows. Plus not to mention the sand makes really cool designs on the bottom glass that you can see lol

LOL. If I crawl underneath to look! I just want the sturdiest and best option. This build might be my last. ;-)

Still trying to sell off the 55g too. I figured it would go quick too. Am really disappointed that it hasnt sold yet.

Emphasis on the word may.. im honestly shocked it hasn't sold too. It was my understandig that 55's were one of the most common and used sizes.. figured someone would've wanted it in no time

I'm even selling it in pieces now, tank stand and fluval, then you can add on the lights or add on the skimmer. I figured a lower price point would be a good idea but so far nothing but scams and lots of "is it still available" then not another word. lol

Same deal with my 4g pico, I have it listed on CL as well and get an email a day at least about it and no on ever shows up. lol

Yea I would go with the taller one then as well. Like u said u won't grow out of it anytime soon. And as far as getting one made and unfinished. U could sways just stain it and not paint. I just think the natural wood looks so nice with an aquarium.

Everything in my living room dining room is black. LOL I've painted all the stands or got them all in black. We kinda have the "modern" look in outr decor so black would be a must. We also have a light pine pergo flooring so the black really works well with it.

I should really give that guy a call and see how much HE charges for painting. That fine point may be the deciding factor of whether I buy one prebuilt or have it made.

I guess I'm in no rush now for the stand as the 55g is still occupying the spot for the 90g. lol But who knows that 55g could go tomorrow. here's hoping. I;m getting itchy on the 90g I wanna start NOW. lol

Hey, nice pull on that stand! The only thing is i didn't wanna put it together, my last stand went ok but it was A PAIN to do. lol

I really need to call this carpenter guy...lemme see if he's available now, try to get a firmer price...

Hey, nice pull on that stand! The only thing is i didn't wanna put it together, my last stand went ok but it was A PAIN to do. lol

I really need to call this carpenter guy...lemme see if he's available now, try to get a firmer price...

Most of the time, I can fire up the table saw and miter saw and build something easier than putting together one bought from the store. LOL Of course, it frustrates the dickens out of my wife. Any time she wants to buy something I say "Hey, I can build that". LOL

i could only wish my b/f were that way. lol he's a mason so if it's concrete he can build it but when it comes to carpentry, well, it just doesn't. LOL

I found out where this carpenter is but I think it might be a two hour drive, which would kinda suck and negate the benefit of having him make it. :-(

Back
Top Bottom