Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id find a way to fit them...filter socks not only add another form of filtration but also catch any fine particles and prevents them from making it into your skimmed or return pump.. you don't want the overflows emptying into the sump with no filter

Yep, thats my thought. As of now the pipes just come down into the first chamber and have the little holes drilled through them adn the skimmer is in that section. then it overlfows into the biball section which has the tray on top for pads. I guess they figure thats the mechanical filtration?

I put a call into sealife systems and am waiting for a call back. I was gonna grill the guy on the sump and see what options they might have for adding the filter socks. I'd rather get the particulate matter out BEFORE the bioball section. Also wanna know how their skimmer works, it looks cheesy lol.

A somewhat related question if I may. If you run a refugium and you put filter socks in the overflow piping won't that trap pods? Seems to me any pods that hit the overflow would then be stuck in the filter socks.

I had that concern as well, but when i remove my filter socks for cleaning I have only seen a couple of the big nasty ones in there. I;m using a mesh sock right now, which has huge holes instead of the felt ones so I'm sure the pods are getting through that one. BUT the mesh sock kinda stinks, it has such large holes I feel not enough is getting captured.

Jury is still out on this. I only bought one mesh sock to try as I was changing the felt ones out every 3 days or so because of them getting clogged.

I still ahve a massive pod population int he main tank and a bunch in the refugium, but mostly the big ones. the little baby pods are hiding I guess. lol

id think you should be ok with the felt... the refugium is where the pods breed and reproduce, then hit the return pump and shoot into the tank... i honestly dont think that itll negatively affect the pod population

Question on pods. I have just started to cycle my tank. When can I add the pods to it?

Yea. Have the dirt. A little live sand and a couple small live rocks in there. Right now that's all I have in there. Was going to throw a shrimp in to night to help with the cycling. Should I use a shrimp or will a scalop work? Have a couple my Toby just doesn't like so figured I could just through them in.

You can use anything fleshy that will rot so a scallop should be fine. You should add some macro algae into the refugium when you get a chance. Once your tank is cycled and everything straight them I would add the pods to the refugium

Yea was going to let it alone for a couple weeks then start checking everything and seeing how it is looking then start adding everything to it.

So the only news I have on this stalled and highly anticipated build is that I plan on getting my sand tomorrow. The only home depot that has pool filter sand is like an hour away so I will stop in and see if they have any left. And tomorrows Friday so it's fish/gear shopping day for me. Who knows what I may end up with. lol

Also gonna measure the sump and check out the stand I'll be buying again, just wanna make sure it will fit with some room to spare. I probably won't go with an ATO on this tank as it will be covered so I'm hoping evaporation will be minimal. :)

I may put a deposit on the stand just to hold it if he'll let me, I hope to be able to pick it up by next weekend. Just gotta get paid on wednesday and find someone with a truck to haul it for me.

I figure once I have it in the garage I can do the stuff that needs to be done. Like painting the back glass, maybe start the plumbing work, and getting a general feel for this new type of setup. Never went predrilled OR wet/dry before. lol

I think i asked earlier, but I need a ball valve on the overflow line into the sump correct? I plan on adding one to the return pump already, just trying to figure out what I'm gonna need to plumb this bad boy. :) I think I'm gonna stick to hoses for now, not sure what all is involved with going PVC.

Is there any benefit to going with all PVC lines? The line going to the sump is gonna be like 1 foot so I'm not sure how to make that work with PVC.

let me know what you all think! and give a little prayer that my 55g sells soon if you would, getting inpatient more each day.

Here's my two coppers: No ball or check valve from the tank to the sump.

If it's only a short distance from the tank to the sump hard line would be easy and cheap with your choice of 90's and 45's. Use a coupler so u can disconnect your tank from your sump on your supply and return lines. Thats all I know about so that's all I have to say. Maybe a ball valve and check valve on your return line but if you put a syphon break on your stand pipes you will be fine. May not even need one on your return line.

stand pipes don't need a siphon break. the overflow will stop water from going down into the sump in a short time. there is no need for ball valves on the drains. it's a waste of time and money.
you will definitely need to drill a hole in the return line just below the water line inside the tank, or in an outage, it's going to drain a lot more water than you want it to.

Ok, so no ball valve on the input from overflow. CHECK. :)

I am a big fan of the hole drilling in the return lines, I for some reason just don't trust check valves. can't put my finger on why exactly, but it just seems like it could fail and then where would I be? cleaning up water no doubt.

So as to not appear stupid next time, is a "stand pipe" the white pvc piping I already have that was in the overflow parts box? The two white pipes, the ones that go up through the drilled holes? One being the return and one being the input? Or is it just the input pipe?

what would you do X with such a small space between bottom of tank and top of filter? Would you go PVC or hosing?

check valves may work on fresh water tanks but i would not use one on a salt tank with live rock. you see all those Q-tip sponges, feather dusters , tube worms, and starfish all over the place in your other tanks? what are the odds of one of them getting in the way?
stand pipes are the drains that keep the water level high in the overflow compartment. the ones with the two 90's attached to them with drill holes in them. those are called durso stand pipes.
i would use flexible hose on the drains, because there's always some reason you have to move them a bit to access something or pick out a snail or whatever, and rigid pvc just doesn't move like spa flex or pool hose.

Mr X, you should post a pic of yours maybe. LOL, I don't think it will be as confusing as the wiring hehehe. I don't know bout Carey but for me pictures are worth a thousand words. Just MO.

what do you want a picture of? plumbing? well, it's gonna look quite confusing because i have a closed loop plumbed in, and i didn't have a sump set up yet, so all that's there at the time was a plastic bin, but....
img_1559550_0_9090a4bcffeff24897a96132ca70804b.jpg

X, what are the three plumbed holes on either sides of the overflow boxes? extra out puts? I kinda like how it all looks orderly. I can almost follow it around. Arent those ball valves you have underneath the overlfows?

yep, i put ball valves on everything back then. i also drilled way too many holes in that tank. i would do things differently now.

the 2 to the left were intakes for the closed loop, and the smaller one above and the one to the right were 2 of the 4 outputs. the 2 remaining outputs come under the tank, up the sides, and over the top for flow shooting from the viewing pane back towards the rock.
as you can see from this pic-
img_1560050_0_243e5e95b3d14d0307cd5cb738e2da3e.jpg

News on the stand front. I think my search may be over. Iwent to my dreaded local fish store (they have horrible fish, i never buy anything other than pepprmints and snails from there) and was pricing stands. She has a 30" tall black stand with top for she said $240. PLUS I would get free delivery. :) I saw her screen and her cost for the stand is only $180 so I might be able to get her down just a tad more, I know she wants the business. Desperately.

This stand for for $240 vs the $270 has differences though. Both are 30" tall so they can accamodate my 23" skimmer but one is a nicer woodgrain type wood and the expensive one has edges, lips around the outside edges that hides the tank frame. I know the more pricey one is pettier by a bit but I am on a budget. AND that one is an hour away so I need to find a someone with a truck and pay about $20 in gas on top. So the question is do you guys think the extra $50 is worth it? I mean the 50 bucks could go towards some fish or something else useful. :) I'm digging the free delivery option too and the cheaper one is only about 15 min away.

The only issue is the cheaper one is a special order stand, so I won't be able to touch and feel it before hand and if I'm not pleased I'm kinda stuck with it. :-(

What say you my friends?

thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom