Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes they say it's best to think about it and then in a week if you still want it then you're making a good decision instead of buying right away and regretting.

So think about it and if it's still calling your name then buy it.

I had a thought about the "better" stand last night.....it has an edge to it, like a lip that covers the bottom of the tanks frame, BUT if water were to drip over the side it would probably cause salt creep something fierce and in a spot I can't get to. That's a definite negative for that stand.

Here's photo of the edging and a shot of half the stand lol

img_1561793_0_96235675d6eb4c45d27965976a964174.jpg

img_1561793_1_11fc1b89d8e327a28ad62ba6364b0198.jpg

Yea but if water does that then it will do the same around the bottomed frame of the tank.

I get it on my 55 once and a while. Just have not cleaned it yet.

Attachments

• image-2393466356.jpg
    image-2393466356.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 101
The thing is you CAN clean it, I won't be able to get at it with the lip running around the tank. Unless I stick razor blades in the space or something.

Another weird thing, I know I should have probably addressed this already but....the tank is still in it's original cardboard boxing and shrink wrap and I haven't taken it out. Should I bother doing it now or just keep it all nice and tidy til I'm ready to setup? The thought occurred to me that there could be something wrong with the tank. lol I can see that the glass is all good but I have no idea about the frame or corners. Am I just being paranoid? LOL

There is a chance of concealed damage however if the packaging is not damaged I would say it is a small chance. For that reason, I would leave it in the packaging as long as possible to prevent scratches or other damage that I might cause it.

i wouldn't worry about the salt creep behind that stand lip. you shouldn't have that kind of salt creep anyway. besides, if it does get behind the lip, you won't be able to see it.

i think that stand could be like the 55 stand we just sold. if i remember right it has the option of reconfiguring it so if you dont want it to be like your picktures you can unscrew something and move it up so it sits on top instead of recessed.

Q-tips aren't just for ears, they reach alot more nooks and crannies when needed, like ridges where salt creep could be :)

hey carey, we where trying to figure out my diy overflow and im stuck on the flow rate of everything once its all assembled. what return pump are you using for your 90?

I will be using a mag 9.5 that came with it. I have only a single drain drilled in the tank though so it's a single overflow that I will be teeing off to match the dual sump intake.

I will be using a mag 9.5 that came with it. I have only a single drain drilled in the tank though so it's a single overflow that I will be teeing off to match the dual sump intake.

You're sounding like a real plumbing pro now LOL. Any updated pics?

Nope. No new pictures. :-( I;m at a total standstill until wednesday when I get paid or the 55g sells. A little bit of both actually since I cant setup the 90g until it is sold. lol

I am hopeful to get an email from liveaquaria saying a midas blenny or some anthias's come into stock

fish are wierd. im on a mailing list for a jaguar cichlid from back when i was still doing central american cichlids. still havent heard anything from them.

So, one more day til payday and until I "think" I can order the stand. I'm actually leaning on the side of the cheaper one without the tank trim. :)

Both are supposed to be 30" tall and look pretty similar so I think I;m gonna do the money saving thing and get the one locally with free delivery.

Now all I need to do is rinse off the last of my base rock and paint the back glass. Should I paint it after I get the stand or try and suffer through the paint job while it's on the ground? LOL Seems like it will be a pain to paint well while it's on the ground. I use latex paint and do it by hand with a paint brush. I haven't even taped off the back yet because the tanks' still boxed up. I am slipping on this build hehehe

Is there anything else I need for this setup guys? I think I have everything but some additional plumbing parts which will probably be determined once I start putting stuff together.

OOps, I have one more question!

I just read that a 1 inch drilled hole will push only 600 gph through from gravity, while I have a mag 9.5 return pump that will do 950. the head loss will be minimal since it's drilled so I for sure figure on a ball valve. But will that much turnover be good enough for 90 gallons?

I only wonder because my 125g has about 1200 gph going through it at a time and it's not that much bigger than the 90g.

Also, have my updated fish stocking list almost done. :) Will post that sometime later when I finalize it. Still tossing around the idea of having mostly wrasses in it. And the harelquin tusk is still a maybe, I'm not fully convinced it will be ok in just a 4 foot 90g tank PLUS they are really expensive! LOL The australian ones are not gonna happen at $179 each so is it still worth it if I don't get the aussie one? They are much more brightly colored than the indian ocean / indonesian ones....

Back
Top Bottom