Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow. Why was that Guy being sooooo mean??

I mean, mandarins are hard but if you're willing to pay the price for pods just in case, I mean, it shouldn't be a huge issue right?

Some people just have their needs I suppose. To each their own.

I'm hoping she won't revert back to pods, she's eating mysis now so far. The lfs said she also eats pellets but I havent tried them yet. Glad I put in that fuge in the back with pods, just in case. I kinda knew this day was coming so I've been preparing. Just trying to get my excitement level back LOL

deathfish said:
Oh wow. Why was that Guy being sooooo mean??

I mean, mandarins are hard but if you're willing to pay the price for pods just in case, I mean, it shouldn't be a huge issue right?

No one could afford to feed a mandarin bottled pods as a permanent means of sustenance.

Hopefully she has enough in the fuge, because that mandarin will do nothing but cruise and eat 24-7.

The mandarin is already eating prepared foods for now. She pecked at some after I put her in. I'm taking that as a positive sign. And if she reverts I will deal with it like I had to when i got the scooter. Theres a backup plan, a backup plan for that and then returning if necessary.

Can we call this a dead issue already? Let's get this back on target before a moderator comes along..

FishAvenger said:
Hopefully she has enough in the fuge, because that mandarin will do nothing but cruise and eat 24-7.

I used fish to cycle my tank... have both a blue tang and sailfin in a 55 g column... have gone through 4 mandarins all with no success.. blast me?

carey said:
The mandarin is already eating prepared foods for now. She pecked at some after I put her in. I'm taking that as a positive sign. And if she reverts I will deal with it like I had to when i got the scooter. Theres a backup plan, a backup plan for that and then returning if necessary.

Can we call this a dead issue already? Let's get this back on target before a moderator comes along..[ /QUOTE]

Ok im done.. I would like to see more pics please.

carey said:
Have they been ORA ones or wild? Did they just not eat? This guy has got me all paranoid now.. lol

No I never tried mands.. figured id be a douche.. carey your fine hun... if u did it with the blenny you cab do it again...

carey said:
Have they been ORA ones or wild? Did they just not eat? This guy has got me all paranoid now.. lol

If anyone has a chance in this forum you do.. period.

Not blasting anyone, you need a bigger tank if you intend to keep a mandarin that accepts nothing else but pods. Even with a fuge I would say 75 gallons with 1.5-2lbs. of live rock per gallon. I will say your tangs are stressed in a 55, especially the sailfin. I'm sure the tang police have already told you that though. I'm just saying proactive beats reactive 100% of the time. Failure to plan is planning to fail, always remember that.

LOL you had me for a second. I think he went away for now. Hopefully I have good luck with her. She's as happy as can be so far, I'll feed again tonight and make sure she's eating. I picked this mandarin cause it's a bit on the fat side hehe And also when the guy feed mysis in the store she was pecking at it unlike the male who was 3 times her size but looked a little thin. I wish I could get a good shot of her but she's too flitty about the rocks to stand still.

Her mandarin maybe fine, I just worry that added stress may assist it in reverting back to pods. Her 125 with a fuge could support him once it is a little more established, but if he stops eating prepared food it would cost a fortune to keep him alive on bottled pods in a biocube.

carey said:
LOL you had me for a second. I think he went away for now. Hopefully I have good luck with her. She's as happy as can be so far, I'll feed again tonight and make sure she's eating. I picked this mandarin cause it's a bit on the fat side hehe And also when the guy feed mysis in the store she was pecking at it unlike the male who was 3 times her size but looked a little thin. I wish I could get a good shot of her but she's too flitty about the rocks to stand still.

I will wait patiently...

I also have a fuge on the cube. Has been setup for a month or two with cheato and I even added pods to help further establish a good population which already existed as the rock came from an established system.

I've done my best with planning and thats all I can humanly do.

Some people take their mandarins very seriosuly as I do with tangs, so maybe that is the reason for all this bickering. Which needs to stop. I'm asking nicely. Please.

Thanks everyone, Ill get pics of my baby when she sits still enough for awhile lol

Why is advice being taken as bickering, you are taking things way out of context. I was stating your 125 should prove to be a fail safe in the event your fish stops eating prepared. I was actually saying you have a good backup plan.

FishAvenger said:
Why is advice being taken as bickering, you are taking things way out of context. I was stating your 125 should prove to be a fail safe in the event your fish stops eating prepared. I was actually saying you have a good backup plan.

If you had paid much attention, she's already stated she'll move the Mandarin over to her 125 if she needs to. Pretty much everything you have said she has thought of. Now please go away and stop being rude to her. It's annoying. She's a big girl. Have a good day.

Sorry that stating facts is rude, I thought big boys and girls understood that. Moving it over wouldn't fix the problem anyway at the moment, that tank would need a few months to build up enough of a pod population. So no, not everything is done. If the mandarin continues to eat prepared atleast 3-4 more months she should be in the clear.

I went ahead and did it!!!! I now have an ORA Blue Mandarin! She's acclimating right now so I'll be posting pictures soon!

SOOOO excited! She's a tiny little thing, she was part of a pair but I couldnt take both so I choose the female that was eating mysis. :-D

I know I'm skipping all the drama in between this post, but I thought they were holding one for you? Why did they make you separate a pair? Just wondering, seems like they were holding it but then it ended up being two? Maybe they weren't "holding" these for as long as you think?

ORA's have been reported to revert. Like with my baby girl (NOT ORA) she would hunt all day long for pods once she had them in my tank, but if a frozen shrimp passed by the rock in the right way (VERY DIFFICULT TO DO) she would eat them. I'm convinced though now Carey that she was eating the live mysid that I have in my tank because this am there were thousands of them (not kidding) swimming around the rock and glass, I was in disbelief, and kept watching them swimming.

You will be fine, if she eats the pods in the biocube you could get a piece of rock from the big tank and keep moving some rock back and forth to move pods. Let it get some algae on the glass too, the pods burst out when that happens. I know it doesn't look pretty, but they seem to explode when there is some algae. Also, pick up some live mysis and throw some in each tank. I never added them so I don't know how they got in there, I think they came from my cube.

Back
Top Bottom