Carey's Pico Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been buying for months from a store in Daytona. :) I asked today what he had that was cheap and tiny and he dug around and came up with these. I think the monti frag was worth the $10 and that was a deal. Been doing more research and it's an ecrusting monti, which I just foundout is an SPS coral. So my first SPS in the pico. cant wait toupgrade this tank! LOL

So I've been thinking about upgrading this tank. I planned on a 17g BUT I don't have the cash right now. :-( I DO have an empty 10g regular tank though and aAN AC 20 or 30 I can use for the filter.

Do you think I should upgrade now or wait for the cash for the 17g? I have a bunch of corals and it's getting crowded in there. lol I had to move my xenia into my 125g as it was getting sucked into my filter in the 4g and looks terrible. :-(

So I've been thinking about upgrading this tank. I planned on a 17g BUT I don't have the cash right now. :-( I DO have an empty 10g regular tank though and aAN AC 20 or 30 I can use for the filter.

Do you think I should upgrade now or wait for the cash for the 17g? I have a bunch of corals and it's getting crowded in there. lol I had to move my xenia into my 125g as it was getting sucked into my filter in the 4g and looks terrible. :-(
IMO you should wait for the 17,more room for corals:)

you could also keep the pico running and do the 17 for coral that was fragged/grew to big

I think I will wait for the 17g. I'm so impatient though lol

Also, my pom pom crab has lost his pom poms....will they grow back does anyone know? Poor thing...

carey said:
I think I will wait for the 17g. I'm so impatient though lol

Also, my pom pom crab has lost his pom poms....will they grow back does anyone know? Poor thing...

I'm pretty sure they will. When mine lost hers the guy at the store said they will. Unfortunately tony my hawk fish took her down before they could. They are tiny anenome's. BTW your tank looks amazing. May have already said but, what lighting ate you using?

The pom pom crabs cannot grow back their anemones, they might pick something else in place of the anemones (like apatasia). I know they have been known to put them down in their home while shedding and later pick them back up. They can also split one pom pom into two if they lose only one. They can live without the pom pom's, just make sure it is getting food.

Nothing goes hungry in my tanks. LOL especially with that sun polyp in there. :)
I have no aiptasia in there so I guess the little guy will have to do without. Is there any reason they would have come off? Am i doing something that could have caused that?

I'm using a nanotuners PAR38 LED light for now by the way. :)

Umm I think if water parameters are not stable they might lose them from stress, I'm not 100% sure on this though and I think in your case he probably just set them down and lost them. I hope my lfs gets some in soon, I can't wait to add a couple pom pom crabs to my tank :)

The water has been pretty good, though I'm running about 5 nitrates. :-( Ph, ammonia and trites are all stable.

Silly little crab misplacing his pom poms lol.

Do you think an emerald crab would be ok in there btw? I bought 4 for my 125g and they ate the bubble algae really quick so I was thinking on moving one in the pico.

Oh almost forgot, I ordered that battery operated suction thing and it should be here thursday so I'll update how it works. :)

On a sad note I had to move my xenia out of the pico, it was getting way way too big and was starting to attach toe very surrounding rock it could and was getting sucked up in the filter. It;s now in the 125g and looks alot better already.

The only problem with emerald crabs, is once they have eaten everything they can, they will pick at coral. Once that happens they are really hard to catch. You wouldn't want to have to move everything to get him out.

Hmm was not aware that they can eat coral. :-( For now the pico has enough algae for them but I worry about my 125g as there isnt much algae at all and I have alot of corals.

There was a thread a week or two ago where everyone said they were reef safe and not a problem. Might have to revisit that thread...lol

From Live Aquaria:

The hardy Emerald Crab, also known as Emerald Mithrax Crab or Emerald Mythrax Crab, has a shiny green, flat, compact body and hairy legs. It requires a mature aquarium with plenty of rock work and hiding places. The Emerald Crab eats algae and various types of meaty items it can scavenge. It can be harmful to small fish, but unlike many other animals, it will eat bubble algae and is useful for cleaning tanks of this potential problem. They are an opportunistic feeder, and if food is not available to them, they may turn to supplementing their diet with corals or invertebrates.
If there is insufficient algae, their diet should be supplemented with dried seaweed, chopped meaty items or a quality pellet food.

Imo its one of those some willsome wont. I would think if you keep them well feed you will have no problem like it.says on live aqueria thay are oppertunistic feeders. I would say no need to worrie on your 125g as it is big enogh to keep it busy

Yeah. IMO I know it says they will but only in a need-be situation like if you quit feeding them once you ran out of algae.

Thanks guys. Hoping the ones I;m getting will be ok for the pcio, theres enough algae for them in there right now. When I upgrade the pico I can alwasy add them into the 125g even though theres no algae I feed the tank pretty liberally.

FINALLY, after a wek of squirting rods coral food over my sun polyps they opened last night! I hope they continue to do this, but whew, thats one worry off my mind. :) They weren't open fully but open enough to get some food. Maybe they just weren't hungry....LOL

Back
Top Bottom