Carriwin's Tank Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... in my many travels around the interwebs today, I landed in Craigslist to see what fishy things are available. Turns out I found some fishes that are needing a good home (and free is always a good price). So, my snail problem (after QT) is about to be resolved, as I am going to be the proud owner of 2 clown loaches, 2 leaf fish, a pearl gourami, and an additional cory.

SO...

Considering how every one is now altered, I think I'm going to move my pleco to my planted 55, put all the cories in the sand 55, which stinks for the albinos, as they'll "disappear", put the otos, neons, and Patriot back into the 10g (aqadvisor was okay with it), and then everyone else should be fine in the planted 55g.

So ultimately, this is the way it's looking now...

55g, sand: 6 angels, 2 blue gourami, 8 corydoras (5 albinos, 2 green, 1 mystery), red male betta

55g, planted, flourite: 2 apistos, 1 gbr (probably add another on payday), 2 leaf fish, 2 clown loaches, 2 tetras, 1 pearl gourami (don't want to take the chance with it eating my angels), pleco

10g sand: 8 neons, Patriot, 2 otos

Thoughts?

Edit: So, as I went on break, I was thinking to myself that I could take the black sand out of the 29g and put it on top of the play sand in the angel 55g, thus creating a small layer of black sand and therefore allowing the cories to show on a sandy surface. Not to mention allowing my angels and gouramis to glow. Plus, it wouldn't change the tank parameters, as they're all treated the same way, and would allow 3 different tank looks: Black Sand, White Sand, and Planted Flourite...

Any objections?

I like it, the black sand should really make the colors pop. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 10g. Has patriot ever been with fish that had bright colors like the neons because he might think he is being challenged unless he is like my betta and will not even flare at a mirror.

He was with bright cherry barbs and wasn't really phased by them that I could tell. I'll definitely keep an eye on them, though, and make sure he isn't getting stressed.

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

We had a blue Angel but had to re home her as my elephant nose was biting her during the night and she had hardly any fins left, we would fix her and he would start again. Here's a pic of her View attachment 287765

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Wow, I've never seen a blue angelfish before. Really pretty.

So, in light of my obtaining my new fish this evening, I have some massive moving around to do in little time. So, I opted to start with my pleco... who was NOT happy with me when I dropped him into the live tank. He was very content to stay on his pseudo driftwood in the other tank, but I didn't want he and the cories to have disputes. So, I realized very quickly that I didn't have an appropriate place for him to hide.

So... I proceeded to try to build him one.

104771-albums14536-picture70364.jpg

THUS the hot mess on the left hand side of the tank. I wanted to build him a wooden "raft" kinda thing so he had something natural to hide under.

104771-albums14536-picture70365.jpg

I almost teared up when I saw him hide further into the spot I made for him. However, I realized this morning, when I went to switch the light on and him freaking out, that it was not adequate space for him. So, I had to cheat... I put the fake log decoration into the tank so he had a place to "call his own" while I figure out what I'm going to do next.

It kinda looks out of place, but whatever is best for him...

104771-albums14536-picture70366.jpg

We'll see how everything else goes later. I think I'm going to try to find a piece of slate, or maybe a flatter piece of driftwood? I'm not sure.

Well...

I have learned rather rapidly that hardly ANYTHING goes as planned in the fish world. LOL That being said, I had yet another tank overhaul last evening. So, I went to collect my craigslist fish and had it in my head that I was going to be picking up smaller fish that someone had no clue how to take care of. BOY was I wrong! I acquired some BEAUTIFUL fish from a fellow aquarist who is getting out of the hobby. The 46 bowfront was beautifully planted and everyone is happy and healthy. She was even so kind as to give me some swords, anubias, java fern and some other tiny specimen. I even got to see what the anubias looks like first hand when it's doing well! It gave me hope. :D

So then, as I was driving home with my new prizes, I realized that I moved my pleco un-necessarily, so I moved him back as soon as I got home. (He's much happier.) I am acquiring a couple of albino plecos from Pitbully13 this weekend and they'll be happy to live in the newly planted tank, and I'll be able to see them better. :)

So, I have also learned many things in my short stint with planting things... I must learn more patience. I read someone's (and I'm sorry the username escapes me at the moment) signature line here on AA and paraphrased is: drink a beer or a glass of bourbon to steady your hands and then plant. Boy were truer words never spoken. I also realized I am probably going to need to put more substrate down, as I think I'll need it to ensure both safety, health, and non-movement of the plants. We'll see though.

Here's the new tank:

104771-albums14536-picture70374.jpg

Clearly the hardscape changed... it went downhill VERY quickly trying to ensure what lighting I have reached all of my little lovelies, as well as providing adequate cover for the fish and looking aesthetically pleasing as opposed to a raging hot mess. So, I kinda have a look of a forest floor... which is nifty.

Introductions are in order:

104771-albums14536-picture70373.jpg

Pearl Gourami

104771-albums14536-picture70372.jpg

Clown Loaches and one of my leaf fish. :) The other cory was given to the person who collected the tetras from the tank, so I'm good with that. I just have to transfer my apistos, GBR and skirt tetras over later. :) They should be big enough that the other fish won't bother them.

I think I'm going to move the big green cories into the angel tank with the white sand bottom so they can do some janitorial work over there... pleco gets kinda cranky. LOL

Once I obtain proper lighting for my 55g, I think I'm going to put my 38g back into rotation and swap the white sand for the black and move everyone over there. That way there's a little more room and maybe, with the new space permitting, I can pick up a small school of rummy nose tetras. They are pretty.

As always, any suggestions or comments are always welcome. It's clearly a work in progress and I'm learning, so.. :)

The swords are big! I hope they don't act up on you because of the move. Looks like a wonderful beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It was actually originally one plant that I split into two. I was very careful to separate the root systems so they weren't damaged. It was a lot easier doing it with water plants than with plants in dirt. LOL

Thanks, TMaier! I was happy to see everyone (plants and fish) were fairly happy this morning... granted it's only the morning after, but still. :)

Great tank! Love the pearl gourami, I had a male beautiful fish ;)

Thanks, Shelly!!! :) Do you think the planting looks alright? I'm trying to read up on everything, but I'm making sure that everything is planted where it likes to be... so it doesn't try to pick up and walk out. LOL

Looks fine, the swords are huge!
And I just noticed the leaf fish soo cool! I've always wanted one but my guy doesn't play well with others lol

Gonzo most definitely comes first. These guys were a surprise. I turned their water up to 82, cause i believe they like it warmer... I'm going to do some more research and make sure i didn't turn it up too high.

I'm grateful to her for providing me with the huge swords. The leaf fish would've been miserable without them, as that's where they're mainly hiding. I did make sure I had the log ornament in there for the plecos, so they have a place to hide just in case when I collect them this weekend.

Loving the progress. Think the tank is coming along very nicely!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I got an e-mail from my "free fish lady" who spoiled me with the pretty swords. She gave me first dibs on the driftwood she had with the java fern and anubias that was so pretty that I admired when I picked up the fish. Getting them for a decent price, too, considering it's the driftwood AND huge plants included. :) I'm stoked!!!

Back
Top Bottom