Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 150 gallon tank that is cycling right now and am looking for some centerpiece ideas. These are the fish I will be putting in from my current tank so they must be compatible. I was thinking either some Bala Sharks, an Oscar, or some Silver Dollars. Any other ideas?? Thanks!
Rainbow Shark
Eclipse Catfish
Bristlenose Pleco
Also I can't have any smaller fish or they will end up being lunch for my catfish... lol

I really like bala sharks and could see a pair of them looking quite nice in your tank

School of Silver Dollars & Clown Loaches :)

Denison barbs... They'll get up to 6 inches, have great colors and are one type of barb you can keep solitary as well as in a school.

I like clown loaches but they need to be kept in a group of at least 3 and once they're full grown the bottom of the tank would be pretty full.

Angels are nice, I would also consider a nice decorative pleco such as a royal, gold nugget... As a centerpiece, and a huge shoal of rainbow fish of different sorts. From there, maybe a filler school of some type, or a few pairs of a dwarf cichlid

I can't have angels because the current in my tank is to strong. All smaller fish will get sucked into the filter... or get eaten by my catfish

I really like knife fish but the current is probably too strong for them... if I put in 4 balas would I be overstocked?

I really like knife fish but the current is probably too strong for them... if I put in 4 balas would I be overstocked?

I'd say a 150 gal is about as much swimming room as you can reasonably give 4 Balas. Whether your Overstocked will depend on what else your looking to add? 4 Balas by themselves still should give you room for more fish.

Personally, I'd say Balas, Denison Barbs and a Red-tail Shark should work.

Well with my current fish it would be 4 Balas, a Bristlenose Pleco, a Rainbow Shark, and an Eclipse Catfish. Would that make me overstocked?

vanimal said:
Well with my current fish it would be 4 Balas, a Bristlenose Pleco, a Rainbow Shark, and an Eclipse Catfish. Would that make me overstocked?

In a 150? God no!!! You have lots of room!

Yeah... I could give my bn pleco to my brother for his 20 gallon and I could get a bigger one. But the Eclipse catfish will get 6-8" he is 4" now. And my rainbow shark will get 5-6".

Much too large for that tank IMO. From what I've read about them and seen in some displays they can easily get over 2-3 feet. I'm not sure if there are any smaller species than the silver ones I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom