Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank is only 18 inches wide so if the fish I get are more than 15 they will have a hard time turning. How big do balas get?

We keep a 3ft long arowana in a 700 g tank at my store and it still doesn't look big enough for him. Some fish just are not meant to live in captivity

My tank is only 18 inches wide so if the fish I get are more than 15 they will have a hard time turning. How big do balas get?

Up to A foot if I remember..Though if you get them as juveniles you'd have some time before they reach that size.

Another I just learned about the Arowanna's, they are jumpers, in the wild they swim at the surface and can jump up to six feet in the air to get birds to eat. OMG! Not sure I'd want something like that at home!

vanimal said:
I don't have the space or money for that kind of fish!

Yeah I used to have a silver arowana, in the first 3 months, he went from 4inches to 10 inches lol he was pretty awesome though :/

Yeah I bet they seem like cool fish... Does anybody know if 4 Balas would outgrow a 150 gallon tank?

vanimal said:
Yeah I bet they seem like cool fish... Does anybody know if 4 Balas would outgrow a 150 gallon tank?

I would say yes only bc I was supposed to get one off a friend before and his was about 13-14inches, but they take forever to grow to be honest, I had a 3 inch Bala shark for over a year and it took him that long to grow to 5 inches lol

Honestly, if you want 4 Balas, I'd say go for it ... I don't think experienced member here would think it irresponsible to put 4 in a 150 gal. They may get up to a foot or so, but it would be a couple of years before te reach full size.

I would love to have a couple, but in a 75 gal, Denison Barbs are as big as I'll go for.

Would it be better to get 2 so there will be more space??

Split the difference a go with 3 Balas.. Gives you a small school, and free 's up a bit of space.

vanimal said:
Do you think 5 Silver Dollars would take up less space?

Can't say, not too familiar with silver dollars, though I would guess the are smaller than Balas. I think silver dollars eat plants so if it would work if you were planning of doing live plants.

Do you think 5 Silver Dollars would take up less space?

Yes, silver dollars aren't perennial movers like bala sharks in my experience and are often found lurking on one side of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom