changing over to dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I will be changing my 20g tall over to dirt capped with a eco/sand mix...the dirt I am looking to use we keep at my place of work&is pulverized topsoil like you'd buy by the yard at landscape yards...wondering if anyone has experience with using this soil..do I plant in the soil or in the eco/sand cap&let the roots run into the soil?

I do not suggest using that soil. You need to get Organic Potting Soil. May use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil/Mix but there are other Organic Potting Soils you can use. I use Just Natural Organic Potting Soil sold at Lowes. I use 1-1/2" of soil with a 1-1/2" cap. You only need to plant in the cap and the roots will grow to it.

I do not suggest using that soil. You need to get Organic Potting Soil. May use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil/Mix but there are other Organic Potting Soils you can use. I use Just Natural Organic Potting Soil sold at Lowes. I use 1-1/2" of soil with a 1-1/2" cap. You only need to plant in the cap and the roots will grow to it.

Would I need to screen the Natural Organic Potting Soil?&any tips you might offer would be appreciated...

You will probably want to cap your dirt with sand or small gravel to help keep it down. Only tip I have atm

I don't screen my dirt. I use chunks and all unless they are huge, then I just pick them out. I think it's just a matter of choice if you want to screen or not but honestly I never saw a difference so I stopped doing it ages ago.

I just add in the amount of soil I want which is usually 1-1/2" unless the tank is small, then moisten the soil and compact it with my hand to get any air pockets out. Next I carefully add my cap which is also 1-1/2". That's it. I place a plate or bowl on the cap and let the tank fill very very slowly so as not to disturb the cap. Hook up the filter and let it run for 24 hours. After that I drain the tank by 1/2, plant heavily (80%), refill, and that's it. If you put enough plants in you don't usually have any high ammonia spikes as the plants use the ammonia as well as nitrates.

I don't screen my dirt. I use chunks and all unless they are huge, then I just pick them out. I think it's just a matter of choice if you want to screen or not but honestly I never saw a difference so I stopped doing it ages ago.

I just add in the amount of soil I want which is usually 1-1/2" unless the tank is small, then moisten the soil and compact it with my hand to get any air pockets out. Next I carefully add my cap which is also 1-1/2". That's it. I place a plate or bowl on the cap and let the tank fill very very slowly so as not to disturb the cap. Hook up the filter and let it run for 24 hours. After that I drain the tank by 1/2, plant heavily (80%), refill, and that's it. If you put enough plants in you don't usually have any high ammonia spikes as the plants use the ammonia as well as nitrates.

Ok,shouldn't have any huge issues...I run 2 ac 30's on this tank for filtration with a large amount of bio-media in each&the substrate(which I will be using a portion of for the cap)is very mature...so I guess I could see a very short lived mini-cycle if any at all right? Plants will consist of swords,crypts,jungle val, ludwiga"?"& java moss on dw..

Being new to dirt I hear people talk about mineralizing the soil,whatsvthe idea behind this?...I do have a teracota clay bar that I inbead with osmocote pellts making little balls to place into the sibtrate..

I have never done it but the process is basically laying down a large tarp and spreading the dirt out on it. Then wetting the dirt down and letting it dry. You have to do this over and over. I don't know how many times. This leaches out all the excess nutrients so you don't have go through that phase in-tank!

Oh when mineralizing dirt you have to look up what various different components you have to mix together also.

Mineralizing is just cutting down on a process that happens in the tank naturally. It basically breaks down the organics before the substrate is put in.

The amendments in mineralized topsoil recipes would likewise be beneficial in a standard organic potting soil method.

You could likely use the topsoil you mentioned, the biggest concern is that it doesn't have synthetic ferts and that its meant to be used as a growing medium.

So I picked a bag of Scott's topsoil,description says a blend of organics plus peat moss,no sticks,no rocks&no added fertilizers...

Never used it but if all the ingredients are organic it should work. Just be sure there are no ferts added in.

Never used it but if all the ingredients are organic it should work. Just be sure there are no ferts added in.

Another question or 2 if you don't mind? The h2o2 dip I believe was 1:1 if my memory serves me correctly but should I rinse the plants before adding back into the aquarium? Also would you be familiar with a cryptocorine species that resembles stem plants? I would insert a pic but it seems I'm maxed out...

That mix will work fine for treating plants before adding them to the tank but leave them soak 15-20 minutes. I do not rinse them before planting.

Load the picture to an album and post a link to it.

Guess I'm having issues,I did get a couple pics in my album of the plant in question...

Another question or 2 if you don't mind? The h2o2 dip I believe was 1:1 if my memory serves me correctly but should I rinse the plants before adding back into the aquarium? Also would you be familiar with a cryptocorine species that resembles stem plants? I would insert a pic but it seems I'm maxed out...

Another thing you can do is upload to photobucket then link it here. I keep a lot of crypts but can't access your gallery via mobile.

Was skeptical myself,there are no roots at the base so thats why I was leaning towards a stem plant of some type..

The switch is on...got the bottom dirted&cap in place. I'll let the filters run until tomorrow at this time,do a water change&get the plants...started with 5 plants & after removing them I have nearly 20 in total...

Need some pointers on replanting my plants as they're not small plants.. I have planting tongs so that should be helpful&I'll need to pick up some root tabs tomorrow..

Back
Top Bottom