Changing to sand this weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HUKIT said:
Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur. One of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless...just another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.

That's good to know. I don't think I could handle all this at the moment lol.

Convict,

Tank looks AWESOME! Your tank is one of those (along with a few others) that the rest of us look at and say, "man, I want my tank to look just like that!"

I think you will really like the sand, especially watching your fish dig and build in it!

Thanks. The only negative I've ever actually heard of that was proven was the leaching of nitrites causing some issues. Like you said, in oxygenated water, all other involved gases are harmless.

The nitrite must have come from somewhere else, because it didn't come from gas pockets in the substrate. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

severum mama said:
The nitrite must have come from somewhere else, because it didn't come from gas pockets in the substrate. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Thanks for the info mama! So... No comment on my tank huh ;)

I am really quite jealous. I have often considered changing out my gravel for black sand. You have inspired me to add it to my to-do list for sure. That is exactly the look that I have been looking for. The dark stones in there are accentuated by the black sand as well. The lighting is perfect for the layout. It really makes those gorgeous fish "pop." Seems like a project that doesn't hammer the wallet either. Love it, bro.

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. I was debating the ATI bulbs but went ahead an got'em. It's not as blue as the pictures though. The camera just doesn't adjust for color. Also I do notice with the black sand the color in the tank is a lot different must have changed the hue in the tank. Also I've noticed the fish are staying at the bottom more and playing.

They look rather happy. The sand plus the hyper dominate male is at my buddy's store.

I love the aquascape of this tank! it looks amazing! the black sand/background really makes the fish colors' pop as well as the lighting you have! Good job man!

severum mama said:

Like I said. That's what has been gathered from all the research I have done over time.

Thanks again everyone! Makes me feel good :) I was worried. I'm very very happy with it. And the fish like I said before are very active at the bottom now enjoying the sand.

I had asked a few posts back. Can the gravel irritate a fish? Could the change and netting etc stress a fish? All of sudden one of my fish has what now is 2 cloudy eyes that are puffed out. I can't net it. Any suggestions? Don't tell me I have to breakdown my tank! I'll just die!! He's eating am swimming just eyes are messed up.

Can I treat the tank? Lower temp? Salt?

Thanks,

Dino

I would just wait it out and monitor for the next 24 hours. He probably got stressed out from the change and being in a bucket.

I was on the phone with him helping him and tell him how to go about it haha so ha !!

Like I said. That's what has been gathered from all the research I have done over time.

But nitrite is a byproduct that occurs when ammonia is broken down by the tank's biological filter. It is part of the nitrification process that occurs in one's tank and has nothing to do with the substrate. The only way you're going to have nitrite coming from the substrate is if you have something rotting in there.

Back
Top Bottom