Cheap preventions for green water and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, are there any cheap ways to get rid of green water and algae?

i am now filtering the water through a bucket full of small stones and it seems to be clearing it a little but not to what i want.

anything advice is appreciated
,Thanks

Can you please give us more info?

What size tank?

What filtration system?

Stock in the tank?

What are your readings?

Lighting schedule?

Its a very small pond approx. 300 litres , it was given to us so not sure of measurements etc. we have 6 comet goldfish in there, 3-5 inches, aroubd 6-8 hours of direct sunlight a day

I have to apologize, I didn't see that you had put this under the pond section. Although I love ponds, I don't have one and am not qualified to help you.

I'm sure someone will come along with way more knowledge than me. :)

Green water

Get an in line UV light filter to kill off the algae, better yet oxygenating water plants such as hornwart to overwhelm the phosphates in your water,then there are pressure filters with the Japanese filter matts inside,some of which also have a built in uv light filter and bio balls to house the biological bacteria that keeps your waters nitrate/nitrite down and your fish healthy and visible.You should be able to find these items at several greenhouses,pet and garden stores.Also check out the E-Bay stores,there are some wicked deals on pond filters. Hope this helps you out.:cool:

You are on the right track filtering the water through a bucket of gravel. If you take some plants and put them directly in the gravel (remove pot, put plant, dirt and all, into the gravel), they will aid filtration. Best plants for this are calla lilies, day lilies, irises, etc.
A UV filter will clear up your green water. It will kill the free floating algae. It will also kill any beneficial organisms that pass through it, and while it will kill the green water, it will not actually filter it. The dead algae will still be in the water, and will be decaying.
Green water indicates either an excess of nutrient (from food or animal waste) or an excess of light. Cut back on feeding a bit, add something to shade the pond such as water lilies or duckweed, and do a large (at least 30% water change) in addition to adding more robust filtration. Those three things combined can work wonders on green water.

Back
Top Bottom