Chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I have a CAE in my community tank, 260L stocking is:
9 mollies
5 balloon mollies
5 guppies
3 swordtails
2 platys
8 tetras
2 bristle nose plecs
1 angel

I have had the CAE since he was about an inch long max, and is now around 6 inches. I know they tend to get aggressive as they get older, and mine is starting to try to latch onto my other fish at feeding time. My question is, I don't know what to do about it, do I leave it? Or rethink him being in the tank. I don't want my other fish to be killed. When I bought him I was not aware of the breeds temperament etc.

Thanks for any replies

Ursi said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I have a CAE in my community tank, 260L stocking is:
9 mollies
5 balloon mollies
5 guppies
3 swordtails
2 platys
8 tetras
2 bristle nose plecs
1 angel

I have had the CAE since he was about an inch long max, and is now around 6 inches. I know they tend to get aggressive as they get older, and mine is starting to try to latch onto my other fish at feeding time. My question is, I don't know what to do about it, do I leave it? Or rethink him being in the tank. I don't want my other fish to be killed. When I bought him I was not aware of the breeds temperament etc.

Thanks for any replies

If you're having problems I'd get him out. Is he aggressive with all of them or just those similar to him? I have 2 Goldens & so far I've not had problems. I've heard but don't know how true, they're less aggressive if getting enough to eat & the right foods & they don't like those similar to them. Is your tank well planted with caves? I know my larger one is territorial over his cave & got a little upset with me when I moved it last Friday, I actually turned it upside down, it looks better, he settled back into it by the next day. But I digress, sorry.

He's aggressive to all, and at the moment it's only feeding time, I make sure they all have enough food so I hope it's not that I usually feed flakes in the morning then alternate evenings with algae wafers, sinking pellets, brine shrimp and blood worm. Yeah he's the only one, no other fish look like him.. My tank is planted with plenty of hiding places, cave, hollow log and another stone decoration that has lots of plants behind to create more hiding places.
I just don't want mauled fish, I know they apparently kill by latching on as they get older but I've no experience as he's my first and only one, and I don't know what to do for the best, thanks for your reply

Oh I also feed cooked deshelled peas 1x a week, forgot to add that in

Ursi said:
He's aggressive to all, and at the moment it's only feeding time, I make sure they all have enough food so I hope it's not that I usually feed flakes in the morning then alternate evenings with algae wafers, sinking pellets, brine shrimp and blood worm. Yeah he's the only one, no other fish look like him.. My tank is planted with plenty of hiding places, cave, hollow log and another stone decoration that has lots of plants behind to create more hiding places.
I just don't want mauled fish, I know they apparently kill by latching on as they get older but I've no experience as he's my first and only one, and I don't know what to do for the best, thanks for your reply

Do you feed veggies like blanched cucumber or zucchini? They LOVE those, my smaller one still seems to prefer the wafers but the larger goes nuts for the veggies. They'll chase each other off but haven't gotten what I'd called aggressive yet. They'll chase each other & 5 seconds later be peacefully stuck to the side of the tank next to each other. Neither seems to care about my female Bettas but I have seen one latch onto the snail I think by mistake because they don't seem to aim just attach to whatever.

I feed cucumber occasionally but not often enough I expect, I mainly stick with peas as veggies, ill try tho with zucchini he's not really bothered about cucumber.. I will see how he goes thanks, it was definitely aiming for the fish but maybe it was just because it was feeding time..

Ursi said:
I feed cucumber occasionally but not often enough I expect, I mainly stick with peas as veggies, ill try tho with zucchini he's not really bothered about cucumber.. I will see how he goes thanks, it was definitely aiming for the fish but maybe it was just because it was feeding time..

He could just be aggressive, it definitely happens. You might look into to rehoming just so you have a plan in place.

Yeah, I'd be able to take him back to my LFS, they're pretty good there :) thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom