Choice - Which Filter System Should I chose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiselchst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100 gallon aquarium (acrylic) that was given to me. I have cleaned it up and santatized it with a bleach mixture.

I have the choice between (2) HOB Emporer 400's (with a claimed pumping rate of 400 GPH ea x 2 = 800 GPH), or a wet/dry system with 6 gallons of bio-balls and a Little Giant 3-MDQ-SC pump at 600 GPH.

I do NOT want to run both - between the two set-ups, which would be better?

Do the bio-wheels aerate as well as the wet/dry filter?

Thanks in advance...

All input greatly appreciated.

Mitch

Wet/dry for sure. Although I have heard a lot of mutter lately that these bio-ball'd systems are not required for the bacteria production side of things.

Use the 400's, but ditch the "bio wheels" after your cycle is done. In sw they become a nitrate magnet. Also for filteration (if your not doing lr and ls) the 400 will do a good job. I know nothing about wet/dry systems but "bio balls" also attract nitrates.

Yeah the only reason I recommend the wet/dry is because that's what I have seen working (and my canister system). My system is a completely wet system and I have no bacteria problems.

what is the price $ difference? actually, the wet/dry maintenance is simpler and much cheaper (no need to buy new filter packs, you simply clean th once a month). also, you could eventually use it as a sump / refugium which is very valuable compared to a hob

also if you are using lr, i would think 1 large hob like a 400 would be sufficient for mech. filtration

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom