Cichilds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perezm03

Aquarium Advice Regular
How many cichlids will I be able to have in an 85G tank.

depends on the size of your cichlids. If you are thinking mbunas, then you can stock upwards of several (2-3) dozen. If you want oscars, well two or three large ones. A dozen or so peacocks & Haps? It really depends on what kind of cichlids you are talking about.

depends on the size of your cichlids. If you are thinking mbunas, then you can stock upwards of several (2-3) dozen. If you want oscars, well two or three large ones. A dozen or so peacocks & Haps? It really depends on what kind of cichlids you are talking about.

Two or three oscars, are you kidding me? How about one. No haps should be in a 4' tank they grow much to large and need as much swim space as possible.

If you are thinking mbunas, then you can stock upwards of several (2-3) dozen. If you want oscars, well two or three large ones.

Hmm, ok those numbers would work well if he wanted to do large daily water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm.

Most mbuna's could be stocked at 4-5 species to totaling around 20-25 fish, overstocking is only needed when the wrong tankmates and small tanks are chosen. And there are quite of few members will attest that doesn't stop aggression.

The oscar would be hard pressed to keep two but no way three, between aggression and deteriorating water conditions that advice is terrible. In reality only one Oscar would be appropriate for that tank.

Haps don't belong in a 4ft tank, plain and simple. I'd recommend a little research prior to giving people terrible advice such as that, those formulas are recipes for disasters.

Last edited:
Hmm, ok those numbers would work well if he wanted to do large daily water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm.

Most mbuna's could be stocked at 4-5 species to totaling around 20-25 fish, overstocking is only needed when the wrong tankmates and small tanks are chosen. And there are quite of few members will attest that doesn't stop aggression.

The oscar would be hard pressed to keep two but no way three, between aggression and deteriorating water conditions that advice is terrible. In reality only one Oscar would be appropriate for that tank.

Haps don't belong in a 4ft tank, plain and simple. I'd recommend a little research prior to giving people terrible advice such as that, those formulas are recipes for disasters.

I would like to do have as many in the tank ( but an appropriate amount )

To where I don't have to do water changes like everyday lol

What TYPE and QUANTITY. Would be perfect.

I would like to do have as many in the tank ( but an appropriate amount )

To where I don't have to do water changes like everyday lol

What TYPE and QUANTITY. Would be perfect.

Have you decided on which continent you want to work with, such as either africans from the Rift Lakes or New Worlds such as Amazonians?

Have you decided on which continent you want to work with, such as either africans from the Rift Lakes or New Worlds such as Amazonians?

I am not sure they are all so beautiful.
I was thinking of African

But not 100%

Ahh idk
What do you suggest ?

I specialize in Central American cichlids in my fishroom, especially in heavy in two genus's of Cryptoheros and Thoricthys. So that's a decision you'll have to make, here is a few of the crypts nanoluteus, sajica, panamensis, and septemfasciatus.

Attachments

• image-1642487277.jpg
    image-1642487277.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-532510025.jpg
    image-532510025.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1953941776.jpg
    image-1953941776.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2692596157.jpg
    image-2692596157.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 103
I specialize in Central American cichlids in my fishroom, especially in heavy in two genus's of Cryptoheros and Thoricthys. So that's a decision you'll have to make, here is a few of the crypts nanoluteus, sajica, panamensis, and septemfasciatus.

About how big do they get. And about how many would I be able to have in my 85 g tank ?
Very beautiful fish

About how big do they get. And about how many would I be able to have in my 85 g tank ?
Very beautiful fish

They get around 3.5-5" on average, you could get away with 2-3 pairs, a school of tetras for movement, and a bristlenose and call it a day. They are not very aggressive even when breeding.

They get around 3.5-5" on average, you could get away with 2-3 pairs, a school of tetras for movement, and a bristlenose and call it a day. They are not very aggressive even when breeding.

That sounds great.
What about African ?

Thank you all for your opinions. And trust me I am taking everything that all of you guys are saying and putting it all together.
And for the sake of everything that you guys are saying and let's admit it got a little heated.
I can tell you guys are very passionate and none of you guys are wrong.
I am very great full and true me I'll come back for your advice and opinions.
Thank you

Heres my Peacocks apart from the one on the right :) hes from lake Victoria :) many people would argue that there not compatible and that hed rip the peacocks apart, wel he doesnt, as long as nothing similar is stocked with it!

Thank you. I will definitely look into the website. And you fish seems happy and it's very beautiful.
Honestly it's so hard to decide.
I have been to a few websites that say
"Planted cichlids" and "non planted cichlids "
And I will probably be more of the "rock type / light light planted aquarium."

This is my 10G tank and I know "no plants "
But this is kinds what I'll be doing with my 85 G tank.

image-1148025763.jpg

image-2850143283.jpg

FYI I'll be moving the koi to a 155G pond. He is just there for the mean while.

Back
Top Bottom