Cichlid food question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at walmart today and got my fish hikari cichlid staple, it has min. 35 % crude protein is that alright for my lab to eat.

No. Hikari, especially the staple, can promote bloat. You need a high quality pellet food (not found at Wal-Mart). It is not just the percentage but the quality of the protein.

The best food by far right now is New Life Spectrum. You may find it at a local fish shop (not a big box store, although Petco carries a limited selection) or order it online. Either way it is definitely worth it. Don't worry about getting a cichlid formula, they are all almost identical. I would go with the Thera+A formula in whatever size fits your cichlids. All NLS foods contain garlic but the Thera+A formula has enough to kill some parasites. I suggest trying it exclusively for 3-4 months to see what it can do for your fish.

I just order some new life spectrum thera+a for my babies but my yellow lab is looking pretty bad. Got any suggestions on how to cure Malawi bloat

Feed some deshelled peas and nothing else until the NLS gets there.

Should I put her in different tank and treAt her? Or can she stay with other fish? How long do I feed her the shelled peas? And which shelled peas would be better frozen, canned, or fresh?

Back
Top Bottom