Cichlid Lake Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjBootleg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used or use "Seachem Cichlids Lake Salt"?

If so does it work and what's the benefits of it?

Also is it safe for other fish I have in with the Cichlids..

Thanks.

Would just use a good filter and some sea chem prime. I also would add Texas holey rock to buffer the Ph and you should be good. Dont over use chemicals you dont need because it can add adverse effects. I used to use all sorts of chems until I found out its best to keep it simple. Just water conditioner seachem prime is what you want only.

This has been debated before and I can tell you my experience. I don't use anything but Prime. I don't cichlid salt, or buffer. I haven't in a long time. There's a thread on it somewhere if you wanna check my profile.

Most fish at the LFS aren't in there natural water parameters and will adjust.

My guys in my 75 gallon tank are in a pH of 7.6-7.8 the key is stability.

However I will say I have added kosher salt every now and again. My tank is fine and everyone is doing well. I think for the most part it's a waste of money.

Remember less is more in this hobby. The more chemicals and "stuff" you add the more things you have to worry about and maintain.

It'd depend a lot on a region's tap water makeup also. Some people have hard water similar to some rift lakes and some don't, so it's hard to put a one size fits all solution to it.

As far as whether they'll adapt to conditions outside of their native parameters, yes it seems like they do.

Still, it doesn't take a ton of research to figure out what a good medium would be in regard to recreating conditions similar to their natural habitat.

I used the cichlid salts in my 125 when I had my haps and it seemed to help. I do agree with the keeping it simple however, the only things that went into that tank was water, prime and the salts. It's worth trying to see if your fish react favorably to the addition of the salts.

Just to clarify a little most (possibly all) cichlid salts don't really have salt in them there trace elements some the same some just meant to mimmic the minerals in there lakes that make the water hard most cities water in my area are already hard so I only have to use them when I regularly use to or distilled water but if u have "soft" water it is good to use them some

Just to clarify a little most (possibly all) cichlid salts don't really have salt in them there trace elements some the same some just meant to mimmic the minerals in there lakes that make the water hard most cities water in my area are already hard so I only have to use them when I regularly use to or distilled water but if u have "soft" water it is good to use them some

It contains salts but they are mineral salts, not just the normal sodium chloride most people think of when they think of "salt". the SeaChem cichlid salts contain: magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium sulfate, sodium chloride, aluminum sulfate, iron sulfate, potassium iodide.

Each Milligram of "Cichlid Salt" contains less than 4% of sodium chloride.

I used the cichlid salts in my 125 when I had my haps and it seemed to help. I do agree with the keeping it simple however, the only things that went into that tank was water, prime and the salts. It's worth trying to see if your fish react favorably to the addition of the salts.

How did it help if i may ask? Did the fish color up more?

I know this has nothing to do with the OP but I didn't think it was wise to use distilled water in aquariums. I thought I read somewhere that because it is distilled it lacks the nutrients and other elements for good bacterial growth. Besides that, I would think it would be really expensive when you are doing weekly water changes.

Coyote251 said:
I know this has nothing to do with the OP but I didn't think it was wise to use distilled water in aquariums. I thought I read somewhere that because it is distilled it lacks the nutrients and other elements for good bacterial growth. Besides that, I would think it would be really expensive when you are doing weekly water changes.

It's really only necessary in salty aquariums not for FW unless your tap water is so bad you can't use it. Even still the minerals need to be added back to the water before you can just add it to the tank.

It was only 8c more then the ro water from the lfs and they were closed for a few weeks for remodeling and yes I did dose with cichlid salts some bacteria and buffer before adding it

I use seachem cichlid lake salt in my mbuna tank. I haven't lost a fish since I've been using it, everyone is colorful and doing well.

I also have a marble in my pocket and have not been attacked by a tiger while I've been carrying it around.

you can draw your own conclusions, I'm sure.

I use seachem cichlid lake salt in my mbuna tank. I haven't lost a fish since I've been using it, everyone is colorful and doing well.

I also have a marble in my pocket and have not been attacked by a tiger while I've been carrying it around.

you can draw your own conclusions, I'm sure.

Hmmmm a marble huh? I've been attacked by a pittbull twice and one of the times it killed my puppy. Maybe I should try the marble thing.

Back on track if I use salt at all I just use kosher salt.

Hmmmm a marble huh? I've been attacked by a pittbull twice and one of the times it killed my puppy. Maybe I should try the marble thing.

Back on track if I use salt at all I just use kosher salt.

I have a box of Morton Ice Cream Salt (red box). Thats what I use when I need to add sodium. Since I've been using the Cichlid lake salt I haven't added any additional sodium.

I have a special "pit bull" marble I can sell you...

Back
Top Bottom