Cichlids dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if thats the case, im ordering fish from california then. I had an auratus die, found him today, and a red zebra thats on its way out... swimming funny, head up, then down, and looks like about 1/4" of the scales right at its tail are faded, almost white, like plastic does in the sun...

Man....Got me a steal so i Stole them....I picked up a OB Peacock...Primarily black and white small patches of orange..also picked up a Red Peacock....Pics soon Right now they're floating..trying a new acclimation...so..

ok guys I now have 5 fish swimming nose up and most of them are at the top of the tank. Now they seem to be gasping for air along with some others rubbing their side on the sand...

still no other signs of being sick...

i am really lost fo what to do here..... any sugestions?

i put one down doing that last night, are there any discolorations on them at all, like their scales are faded or anything like that? ive lost 2 of my mbuna that same way. my red zebra last night wasnt eating, then started hanging out up top, then as i let time go by, it slowly got worse off... hiding behing the output on one of the filter outlets... there has to be some disease that is affecting fish, similar to that dwarf gourami disease. ive stumped everybody here as to why mine died

mfdrookie516
yes my fish start to turn white a little at a time... I have always had a well kept tank.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS ISSUSE......
I have never had this problem before. I do not want to just start dumping in meds...
I have about 60 fry in breeder cages in the same tank along with 2-3 fish holding eggs...
I have read every thing i can get my hands on and still can not come up with a freakin thing.
MAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP US FIGURE THIS OUT.....

im almost thinking it has to be fungal, but once they start acting like that, im sure its too late for any meds to help. I plan on treating my tank for funal infections just as a precaution, and like i said i had a red zebra doing that last night, the scales towards the tail were just white, almost like plastic that has faded in the sun. and it stayed in the top back corner of the tank. Nobody in chat last night could offer any suggestions other than the thought of a possible fungal infection. No other symptoms that i noticed, and i watch my fish very close. i tested my water a million times for everything except the kh or whatever to measure hardness, but im certain it wouldnt be a contributing factor.

ok i just found 2 more things......
1. the clear part of the eyes on my sickest yellow lab are bulging
2. he is really turning white and losing scales.....
so here is a list of symptoms for one fish and some of my other ones are rubbing the sand...

1. swim/floting nose up
2. no eating
3. turning white in color
4. losing scales
5. clear part of eyes are bulging
6. staying at the top of the tank and real close to filter intakes
7. no swore spots

now does any one have any ideas?

Are any of you guys all feeding the same kind of food? Could it be a bad batch of commercial food? Seems like sooo many people are having the same issues. Too much for coincedence. I'm grasping at straws now.....Sorry.

I have always feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid food, pea's and zucchini

ALTHOUGH i ran out and went to the LFS and bought a small bag of
Hikari- Cichlid Gold until i could make it to my regular store for my New Life Spectrum... my fish shide away from the Hikari product...

i feed HBH African Cichlid Attack, Omega One cichlid pellets, and occasionally some aqueon tropical color enhancing flakes... that would make sense, and for the first time, this is the only other issue that seems like mine

listen guys...i've treated my tank for fungus..and now my tank is doing well...I tested the fungus out first using my qt tank for a hap...he wasn't doing well i put him in for 48 hours then returned him to normal waters. He is good now..SO learning that he had the second worse case i had i treated the whole tank with Tank Buddies Fungus clear.....Everyone happy....This is either fungus or parisitic....So with them acting better after the fungus treatment...for precaution i will be treating for parisites...Using the Jungle tank buddies Parisite remover....so far so good...Guys might wanna treat for fungus asap.....remember to remove your carbon filter>>><<<

ok i have been doesing with Melafix and have not gotten any good news...
I am switching to General Cure or Clout...

I have not yet decided what to do yet. I have not dosed my tank with melafix sence yesterday. should I go ahead and dose my tank with general cure today or should I wait a couple days?

Thanks

I said this on another forum but i think that you guys should look into it a little more. The only thing i could think of is that it is a REALLY weak blood line. I would call your pet store you buy from, ask them were or who they get there cichlids from and then post it on here. Maybe it is a popular cichlid breeder that you guys are getting your cichlids from. Also start to watch were you buy your cichlids from and maybe try something different. instead of getting your cichlids from your usual LFS maybe try a different LFS just as a experiment.

I had the same problem, but only with my yellow labs, i tested water frequently, and could not find the problem. They both eventually died, thereafter i just did frequent water changes (every 2 days) and now everything seems to be fine. What confused me was it was only my labs that were sick, and none of my other fish? Are your sick fish eating? Because mine stopped eating about a week before they got sick... Sorry i cant help with your problem though.

sure its not the LFS because the ones of mine that died came from different places(go figure)...however like i stated b4 i've treated my whole setup with the tank buddies fungus clear....I've add four fish to my current stock none Dead...I would also try treating next for parasites that you may not be able to see...I say dont treat a qt tank..treat your whole tank becasue whatever it is if the fish touched that water most likely it got to your other fish.....I'm good now with what i did good luck to you'll..hope it changes.

ok guys I now have 5 fish swimming nose up and most of them are at the top of the tank. Now they seem to be gasping for air along with some others rubbing their side on the sand...

still no other signs of being sick...

i am really lost fo what to do here..... any sugestions?

I had a Kenyi that did the same. Rubbing the sides and gasping and not eating. Checked the ph, amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and they were all
nominal. I ended up adding some anti-parasitic foods, did 2 huge back-to-back water changes and she started eating again.
Don't know if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom