Cichlids for a 10 and 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheCrazyFishLady said:
No. That won't work. For a 20g, there are lots of dwarf cichlids that would work. Just Google that. JDs and oscars need much larger tanks and zebras need a 20gL, so if you have that, just go for the ZDs.

I think serious sarcasm was present.Sometimes you can't help people.

I'm deciding between Shellie's and apistos. The only problem is that I have gravel a bit smaller than peas. Would this be a problem for shell dwellers? My kribs are fine moving it but I know sand is recommended for Shellie's?

garfy said:
I think serious sarcasm was present.Sometimes you can't help people.

Definitely was. It's not that I want to squeeze huge fish in a tiny tank, but ppl on here are crazy about making sure tanks are huge and that's all they can say or think about.

Ryanlr88 said:
Definitely was. It's not that I want to squeeze huge fish in a tiny tank, but ppl on here are crazy about making sure tanks are huge and that's all they can say or think about.

They just care about there fish and certain Fish need a certain tank.everyone is only trying to help the best they can

Nakinata said:
I bought a 29 gallon a couple of weeks ago and now I'm waiting to see if anyone has any apistogrammas to sell to me. It's hard finding those guys, and the lfs around me don't stock them.

Look up hn1 and serverum momma on this site i bought a breeding pair from them and they laid eggs within 2 weeks of having them

Look into electric blue rams, I just got some and they are incredible. If you do get some try to score a pair unlike GBR the only real way to tell the sex is by the second ray of the dorsal fin. The males is much more pronounced, mine also seem to be distinguishable by the pectoral fins being much longer in males aswell as the males have a black spot on the jaw. I got some just yesterday and I am already seeing spawning behavior. Another option is the German blue ram as previously suggested, I also got a pair yesterday of wild caught and their color is mind blowing. Wild caughts should have better parenting skills than their tank bred counter parts. I even have a deal struck with the store I bought my fish from to sell back the offspring if I get so lucky. Deffinately fish worth looking into.

Ryanlr88 said:
Bc I asked to know more about the name African Cichlid and if it was a specific type of species or what. I understand the tank restraints. Gosh everyone on the site just LOVES to say "nope, bigger tank!" Get over it ppl. If someone doesn't ask about tank requirements they don't need it thrown in their face.

It's always great too have a larger tank! I have a 36 gallon , filled with aratus, yellow labs, different types of peacocks,lupes,a couple of shell dwellers ,blue cobalt,and of course my kenyis! You will be fine starting out with a few types of cichlids. Google African cichlid types, and read up on em! A bigger tank is always nice, but starting out you really don't need to go big! Good luck!!

It's always great too have a larger tank! I have a 36 gallon , filled with aratus, yellow labs, different types of peacocks,lupes,a couple of shell dwellers ,blue cobalt,and of course my kenyis! You will be fine starting out with a few types of cichlids. Google African cichlid types, and read up on em! A bigger tank is always nice, but starting out you really don't need to go big! Good luck!!

you'll have trouble down the road

a.tetreault said:

I agree u shouldnt start a african tank smaller than a 55g or ull have a lot of issues...over stocking is good for cutting down on aggression but urs is way over ur going to have problems

a.tetreault said:

It's been 5and a half years! Frequent water changes,, and knowing how to PREVENT those problems from happening,, is what it's all about! ; )

Shammrock said:
It's been 5and a half years! Frequent water changes,, and knowing how to PREVENT those problems from happening,, is what it's all about! ; )[/QUO
Keeping African cichlids in they're natural habitat,,,,, rocks, sand, driftwood,,,, is also key! It's hard to believe African cichlids, can be happy and healthy in a tank set up nothing like they're natural atmosphere!

Shammrock said:
It's been 5and a half years! Frequent water changes,, and knowing how to PREVENT those problems from happening,, is what it's all about! ; )

I have had occasional aggression,mostly after a big water change,, but that comes and goes. Show me an African tank without aggression ! The only African tank wich wouldn't have aggression , would probably be a tank of brichardis!just sayin! No doubt a bigger tank , is better for cichlids, I'm in that process now!

i dunno i pretty much guarantee a lot of your fish will be toast in the long run, africans belong in a bigger tank, sorry but just because your doing it doesnt make it right, a lot of your fish are probably stressed.

also a lot of your fish grow too large and have too much of a bioload for your tank size, no matter the amount of water changes you do

a.tetreault said:
also a lot of your fish grow too large and have too much of a bioload for your tank size, no matter the amount of water changes you do

Well,, it's been a while,, without any casualties ! I'm workin on a 100 gallon! Just not able to do that at the moment ! about a month away. I have 2 cannister fluvals running the tank I have now, and honestly,, I have had no problems. but thanks fir your concern,,,and the garrauntee! Lol

Shammrock said:
Well,, it's been a while,, without any casualties ! I'm workin on a 100 gallon! Just not able to do that at the moment ! about a month away. I have 2 cannister fluvals running the tank I have now, and honestly,, I have had no problems. but thanks fir your concern,,,and the garrauntee! Lol

And the shellies by the way,, hang out around there 5 shells out in front,, and are doin just fine. They actually protect that area of the tank, with no problems.. Just sayin!! Too each his own.

Shammrock said:
And the shellies by the way,, hang out around there 5 shells out in front,, and are doin just fine. They actually protect that area of the tank, with no problems.. Just sayin!! Too each his own.

I have found the same to be true. Everyone judges based on full sized Cichlids at their maximum aggression. But fish keeping is a learning process and not all fish are the same. You should try to provide as much space as possible, but the world doesn't end if your tank is too small. Hiding places is key. I think you will be fine. Call me crazy but one or two casualties of small fish is not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom