Cichlids in a 10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two people have said to not mix the Shellie's. I think you need to do some research ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't recommend mixing anything with Neolamprologus multifasciatus unless you have a large foot print tank and can aquascape in a way to separate territories really well. I don't know about the other shellys. Multis have some nasty teeth and an attitude to go with it. They may be small but will defend their territory until the end.

I mixed them successfully lol I also have had my colony for 2+ years and now them quit well and have set my tank up to suit all species at hand. I also have a 20 long, and I wouldn't recommend adding any other species if completely new to shellies

I mixed them successfully lol I also have had my colony for 2+ years and now them quit well and have set my tank up to suit all species at hand. I also have a 20 long, and I wouldn't recommend adding any other species if completely new to shellies

Thank you! That's what everybody on the Shelldwellers.com forum told me!

Thank you! That's what everybody on the Shelldwellers.com forum told me!

However, a 10 gallon is not a 20 long.... For a 10 gallon you definitely don't want to mix species. The floor space of a 20 long is close to double that of a 10 gallon, which means close to double the territory. Enough shellies of one species to form a colony or a pair is already enough to pretty solidly stock a 10 gallon. And I've heard a lot of stories of even a single species fighting enough to kill off all but one of them. Unless you're prepared to make a lot of special accommodations and put exceptional effort into maintaining the peace, I would stick with one species.

Shellies rarely kill each other in a colony. But if you try to add new ones to existing colony, then they probably will.

Also there's a reason I specifies that I have a 20 long and said that I don't recommend doing what I have done......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's tougher to do anything in a 10 because the water chemistry can swing much faster/drastically in a small tank. Add a fish that requires specific parameters and it becomes even more challenging. If you understand the needs and requirements of the fish in question than its definitely doable..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nevermind. i may just do multis. i wanna talk an expert though before i do anything.

Pm Freakgecko91 or gillie..(if it was apistos I'd say gillie first!!)

so which of these won't work?:
Altolamprologus compressiceps (shelldwelling varieties)
Lamprologus callipterusL.
calliurus
L.caudopunctatus
L. finalimus
L. leloupi (not leleupi)
L. ocellatus
L. ornatipinnis
L. speciosus
L. stappersi (meleagris)
L. wauthioni
Lepidiolamprologus boulengeri
Lep. hecqui
Lep. meeli
Lep. pleuromaculatus
Neolamprologus brevis
N. kungweensis
N. multifasciatus
N. similis
Pseudotropheus - really want these
Telmatochromis bifrenatus
T. dhonti
L. signatus

:thanks:

If you have a source for the signatus go with those, they are hard to find, very cool and fetch a bit more when it comes time to thin the colony. I had people on a waiting list when I was breeding them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pm Freakgecko91 or gillie..(if it was apistos I'd say gillie first!!)

Already here lol.
Fishguy, if you want to go the apisto way I would suggest a pair or trio of A. borellii as a starter in a 10, they wimps even when compared to other apistos and when it comes to breeding think guppies or convicts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom