Cichlids in a classroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, as you may guess based on the name I teach biology in a high school. I spend a fair amount of time on this site on the saltwater side for a tank at home. I am venturing to the freshwater side of the aisle becauseI have a student that is offering me some yellow lab cichlids. I am considering accepting them and attempting a Lake Malawi setup, but I am fairly uneducated about the specifics and worried this may not be good for a classroom. Looking for advice on if this is a good idea.

Being a classroom the tank will have to be exposed to outside light. My only place for it is right in front of a window. The classroom is air conditioned however. So the tank will be subject to heating from radiation but air should help to dissipate some of that heat.

Also this setup will have to be able to run unattended for some occasions. I will be there daily during the week during the school year but during summer vacation, winter vacation, spring vacation I will be in less regularly. The system needs to be able to run unattended for about a week.

Is this doable? For example, I love marine systems but I would never attempt one in a classroom because of the maintenance needs. Any freshwater advice you can give this reefer is appreciated.

It would be a great educational tool. How many gallons would the tank be,also, do you have permission to set this up in school? I wouldn't do it at a school for fear that someone might tamper with the tank/fish while your not there. Have you thought of taking the fish and setting up a tank at home?

A tank can go over a week without maintenance IMO. Of course many things will factor in. Size of tank, it's stock, filtration, temp those are just a few. Will the room maintain a certain temp or will the heater be working overtime or have trouble keeping the tank at the right temp.

Will the tank have sufficient filtration where a week or two at the most, the tank will be ok.

The one above of course comes down to bio load, if its light then a week is fine. If its a heavy bio load then I'd personally be weary.

Also of something fails, power outage, what will power the filter and heater to keep the fish alive?

Things to think about. Also over the winter or summer will you be willing to take time away from whatever your doing to check them, test water and do water changes as needed. Other things to consider.

Feeding, automatic feeder, I'm sure your not gonna go there on the off days or vacations etc to feed fish.

Another one. If you go with cichlids. What kind, some are aggressive others are a little mor docile. With that said will be willing to have a QT tank setup which IMSO should be done regardless. In the event you need to move one that's either too aggressive or being picked on. Another one... Fry, are prepared to deal with the fry, caring for them and moving them to another tank.

All these things and more would be things I'd be looking at.

It's not as bad as I probably made it sound lol. These are just thoughts that entered my brain :)

In high school my teacher had a beautiful tank. It was a 55g with a couple types of cichlids. I sat by it and loved it. She took Care of it during the school year, and a fellow bio teacher did work during summer break. Winter break here is only 5 days, so they were fine during that. I did moat of the maintenance during the year, and they were great! Not much education about fish, but from a students pov, it was awesome. A lot of students loved it. If you can, go for it! =]

It would be a great educational tool. How many gallons would the tank be,also, do you have permission to set this up in school? I wouldn't do it at a school for fear that someone might tamper with the tank/fish while your not there. Have you thought of taking the fish and setting up a tank at home?

Probably a 55g just cause they are so cheap and my school is fitting the bill. My school will support me on it a little. The maintenance staff will help with feedings during vacations.

Are cichlids that sensitive that I should fear small fluctuations over breaks etc. ?

Taking them home is out of the question. Already have a reef that eats up too much time. My wife would kill me, lol.

A tank can go over a week without maintenance IMO. Of course many things will factor in. Size of tank, it's stock, filtration, temp those are just a few. Will the room maintain a certain temp or will the heater be working overtime or have trouble keeping the tank at the right temp.

Will the tank have sufficient filtration where a week or two at the most, the tank will be ok.

The one above of course comes down to bio load, if its light then a week is fine. If its a heavy bio load then I'd personally be weary.

Also of something fails, power outage, what will power the filter and heater to keep the fish alive?

Things to think about. Also over the winter or summer will you be willing to take time away from whatever your doing to check them, test water and do water changes as needed. Other things to consider.

Feeding, automatic feeder, I'm sure your not gonna go there on the off days or vacations etc to feed fish.

Another one. If you go with cichlids. What kind, some are aggressive others are a little mor docile. With that said will be willing to have a QT tank setup which IMSO should be done regardless. In the event you need to move one that's either too aggressive or being picked on. Another one... Fry, are prepared to deal with the fry, caring for them and moving them to another tank.

All these things and more would be things I'd be looking at.

It's not as bad as I probably made it sound lol. These are just thoughts that entered my brain :)

What kind filtration should I be using? Is a canister necessary or would a hob be enough?

What water tests would I need to do for a lake Malawi setup? PH, Kh..... Anything else?

In high school my teacher had a beautiful tank. It was a 55g with a couple types of cichlids. I sat by it and loved it. She took Care of it during the school year, and a fellow bio teacher did work during summer break. Winter break here is only 5 days, so they were fine during that. I did moat of the maintenance during the year, and they were great! Not much education about fish, but from a students pov, it was awesome. A lot of students loved it. If you can, go for it! =]

That is exactly why I want it? I think there is a lot of value in stuff like this for students that isn't measurable.

You'll be fine with a HOB. you'll want to be able to test for pH, nitrAte, nitrite and ammonia.

I run 2 aqua clear 110's on my 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank.

You'll be fine with a HOB. you'll want to be able to test for pH, nitrAte, nitrite and ammonia.

I run 2 aqua clear 110's on my 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank.

That's easy enough. Any cichlids specific stuff I should know?

Back
Top Bottom