Cleaning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tried loading a pic but no go
I have a 65/70g tank, well water with no additional additives, 2/3" gravel substrate, fairly heavily decorated (silk plants & ceramic roots) substantial amount floating hornwort (?).
Inmates are 1 pleco, tons of MTS, 4/6 Assassins, guppies, 6/7 Amano, lots of Cherries, a few Yellow, a few Blue.
It is time to try & clean the gravel a bit & I am at a loss as to how to proceed without sucking up shrimp. Netting them is NOT an option. I am thinking my only option is a second set of eyes and hands & a lot of luck. Any other suggestions are REALLY welcome as I can no longer avoid the chore

ear...

You can still clean the bottom material. Buy a fish net with wider mesh and remove the net from the wire. Cover a larger syphon with the netting and secure it with a rubber band. You can vacuum the bottom material without sucking up anything but the small bits of dead plant and waste material.

B

The best method I've got outside of using something over the end of the vac is to hold it by the flexible tubing and to pinch it down/closed when I catch a shrimp. They never have much trouble swimming out as long I can reduce the suction a bit. My biggest problem is that a lot of them seem to enjoy 'riding' on the vac while I'm cleaning up:facepalm:

If you opt for the net route, I'll use a section of cheese cloth held over the end with a hair tie or rubber-band on the rare occasion I'm not sucking out plant trimmings. Cheesecloth is wicked cheap, too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom